The Student Room Group

Wjec english descriptiive writing please mark!

Hey, this is a descriptive writing task for WJEC english. The reason I specified it as WJEC is because AQA have a 27 marker on the descriptive writing but WJEC only has 20 marks so can you please mark out of 20. By the way, what is the size of an answer booklet page compared to normal a4 pages?

Do not post your work online it is against tsr rules
You should write about a page in your answer booklet
Content is marked out of 13

SPELLING PUNCTUATION GRAMMAR SENTENCE STRUCTURE OUT OF 7
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
anybody
Reply 2
I need some help please
Reply 3
ANYBODY
Reply 4
is tsr dead
I'm afraid I don't do the Welsh board, so if they have any subtle traps to trick the unwary, I won't know about them. I quite liked this piece. SPG would be A* on AQA, so well done there. I'm inclined to be generous about the content, too, which makes a change for me. I think you could be in with a shout at A* if you remember that not EVERY noun needs an adjective or verb an adverb. Of course, it's only one piece in isolation, so you need to factor in your coursework and the other papers. Now stop fretting and go and watch Eurovision or something else equally mindless.
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid I don't do the Welsh board, so if they have any subtle traps to trick the unwary, I won't know about them. I quite liked this piece. SPG would be A* on AQA, so well done there. I'm inclined to be generous about the content, too, which makes a change for me. I think you could be in with a shout at A* if you remember that not EVERY noun needs an adjective or verb an adverb. Of course, it's only one piece in isolation, so you need to factor in your coursework and the other papers. Now stop fretting and go and watch Eurovision or something else equally mindless.

Thanks very much! The welsh board and AQA seem very similar when I look at the mark schemes..so your advice should be relevant! I am fretting because I am so terrible at english..haha :smile:...OK im off to watch eurovision! :P..thanks anyway
Original post by Extricated
Hey, this is a descriptive writing task for WJEC english. The reason I specified it as WJEC is because AQA have a 27 marker on the descriptive writing but WJEC only has 20 marks so can you please mark out of 20. By the way, what is the size of an answer booklet page compared to normal a4 pages?

A roar of support reverberates throughout the giant Olympic stadium. The golden Olympic flame illuminates the stands, as the iridescent colours of a rainbow begin to emerge from the red sky. Buzzing with anticipation, the crowd bounce on their toes like professional skippers. The ambrosial fragrance of hot dogs wafts through the air, enticing its prey carefully. Undeterred, the crowd become louder, testing their lungs to full capacity. The brilliant colours of the rainbow reflect the diversity of the seemingly endless crowd. Seven heavily built men arrive at the track, taking their places before the command of ‘Ready, steady go!’

Without warning, an athlete trips, scraping the whole length of his knee. A rotund figure from the crowd can be seen on the giant screen, stomping his feet in frustration. His green eyes turn to red faster than a traffic light. The whole world seems to focus their attention on him. Creases begin to form on his large forehead; they are souvenirs of years of sporting disappointments. An intertwining of both laughter and chanting can be heard, exacerbating his already mounting frustration. Dragging back some measure of control, his defined forearms return to his sides and he regains his composure. The laughter evolves into a layer of excited chatter and the chanting becomes almost non-existent.

Nervous athletes roam around in perfect circles, considering their next few hours of scrutiny. Shifting their feet about nervously, the javelin throwers take deep, protracted breaths. Suddenly, an onslaught of rain begins to pour from the sky, showering every spectator. Their hands cupped in a protective covering, the crowd desperately try to salvage their food. Cries of anger and exhilaration take command of the stadium. Disappointed that is has come to an end, the crowd make their way out, moving forward inch by inch.

Describe a sporting event :smile:

Yh this is looking at A/A* :smile: good luck ullbbe fine!
Thanks very much! The welsh board and AQA seem very similar when I look at the mark schemes..so your advice should be relevant! I am fretting because I am so terrible at english..haha :smile:...OK im off to watch eurovision! :P..thanks anyway

I would give it an A* perhaps 20/20

The vocab, description, grammer/spelling is nearly perfect. I cant see how you can improve on this, other than it might be a bit short. Could you reproduce this in exam conditions if you can you are well on your way.

BTW AWESOME PROFILE IMAGE, are you thinkning of doing A level maths?
Reply 9
Original post by QuantumOverlord
I would give it an A* perhaps 20/20

The vocab, description, grammer/spelling is nearly perfect. I cant see how you can improve on this, other than it might be a bit short. Could you reproduce this in exam conditions if you can you are well on your way.

BTW AWESOME PROFILE IMAGE, are you thinkning of doing A level maths?

Brilliant feedback, thanks! Did you do WJEC english? If so, any other tips? Anyways..yeah i am already doing AS maths in year 11 (we did gcse in year 10), i find it really interesting thanks! Your GCSEs and AS levels are extraordinary! Good luck in Durham, and once again thanks for your input :smile:
Brilliant feedback, thanks! Did you do WJEC english? If so, any other tips? Anyways..yeah i am already doing AS maths in year 11 (we did gcse in year 10), i find it really interesting thanks! Your GCSEs and AS levels are extraordinary! Good luck in Durham, and once again thanks for your input :smile:

I did AQA English but If I was gonna give any tips generally, I suppose just dont stess youself out too much revising the night before, English is a skill based subject you should be fine with it.

Thanks for the compliments :tongue: and here a maths joke to ease the reivison pressure:

X, (X^2), and (e^X) meet up in the bar, X and (X^2) enjoy socilising and have a really good time, whereas (e^X) sits and looks boored. X comes over and asks "Why don't you come over and integrate" to which (e^X) responds "That wont change anything".
Reply 11
Original post by QuantumOverlord
I did AQA English but If I was gonna give any tips generally, I suppose just dont stess youself out too much revising the night before, English is a skill based subject you should be fine with it.

Thanks for the compliments :tongue: and here a maths joke to ease the reivison pressure:

X, (X^2), and (e^X) meet up in the bar, X and (X^2) enjoy socilising and have a really good time, whereas (e^X) sits and looks boored. X comes over and asks "Why don't you come over and integrate" to which (e^X) responds "That wont change anything".

:smile:...I'm only doing AS! 'e' is only used in A2! But i still get the joke since i've seen it before. People like you are great to lighten up my mood! Did you get A* in english?

Cya :smile:
Reply 12

A roar of support reverberates throughout the giant Olympic stadium. The golden Olympic flame illuminates the stands, as the iridescent colours of a rainbow begin to emerge from the red sky. Buzzing with anticipation, the crowd bounce on their toes like professional skippers. The ambrosial fragrance of hot dogs wafts through the air, enticing its prey carefully. Undeterred, the crowd become louder, testing their lungs to full capacity. The brilliant colours of the rainbow reflect the diversity of the seemingly endless crowd. Seven heavily built men arrive at the track, taking their places before the command of ‘Ready, steady go!’

Without warning, an athlete trips, scraping the whole length of his knee. A rotund figure from the crowd can be seen on the giant screen, stomping his feet in frustration. His green eyes turn to red faster than a traffic light. The whole world seems to focus their attention on him. Creases begin to form on his large forehead; they are souvenirs of years of sporting disappointments. An intertwining of both laughter and chanting can be heard, exacerbating his already mounting frustration. Dragging back some measure of control, his defined forearms return to his sides and he regains his composure. The laughter evolves into a layer of excited chatter and the chanting becomes almost non-existent.

Nervous athletes roam around in perfect circles, considering their next few hours of scrutiny. Shifting their feet about nervously, the javelin throwers take deep, protracted breaths. Suddenly, an onslaught of rain begins to pour from the sky, showering every spectator. Their hands cupped in a protective covering, the crowd desperately try to salvage their food. Cries of anger and exhilaration take command of the stadium. Disappointed that is has come to an end, the crowd make their way out, moving forward inch by inch.

I'm not an examiner, but that's outstanding. Your vocab is fantastic and original (I may have to steal a few words, lol). You don't tell a story or use "I", you don't generalise, you're really specific. Spelling, punctuation and grammar is pretty much flawless. You'd definitely been in for a fair chance of getting 20/20 in my opinion. Well done, it's GREAT!!

You know for section A, how has your teacher told you to approach the questions. 5 developed points, 10 brief points with a little explanation or 3/4 really developed points. How many paragraphs etc?? I'm so confused right now. Thanks
Reply 13
:smile:...I'm only doing AS! 'e' is only used in A2! But i still get the joke since i've seen it before. People like you are great to lighten up my mood! Did you get A* in english?

Cya :smile:

NEEK :colone:
You know for section A, how has your teacher told you to approach the questions. 5 developed points, 10 brief points with a little explanation or 3/4 really developed points. How many paragraphs etc?? I'm so confused right now. Thanks

My teacher said 10 points, but these need to have a qoute from the text. E.g, They were concerned because "there faces were tight"
ect... That would get you 1 mark
It's good, but for wjec, you need to write a side.
You need to have 5 to 6 paragraphs, the first papragraph should be an intro... but short...
a brief overview of the place
Then zoom in and zoom out on a couple of people (this is in sepearate paragraphs)
Describe what they do say and look like and you should be fine

Predicted A*
Reply 16
#
Original post by fabstar_786
It's good, but for wjec, you need to write a side.
You need to have 5 to 6 paragraphs, the first papragraph should be an intro... but short...
a brief overview of the place
Then zoom in and zoom out on a couple of people (this is in sepearate paragraphs)
Describe what they do say and look like and you should be fine

Predicted A*

That is ~ 300 words which is about a side
#

That is ~ 300 words which is about a side

When I did AQA english 2 sides was about what you needed for A*, but It could easily be different for WJEC, so if you only need to write 1 side thats fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest