The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

I looked, but couldn't see anything against this, or a recent thread with a similar idea so here it is.

I am a current (until exams are over) student of Woodhouse College. I was Chairman of the College Council this year and Lower Sixth Chairman last year. You may have seen me speaking at the Open Day in the Autumn? So, if you have any questions about Woodhouse, the way the timetable works, the best places to get food, post 'em up here and I'll do my best to answer.

About me:

I study Philosophy, Spanish and Maths at A2 now, and I dropped History after AS.
My AS results were B, A, B, B respectively.
I'm hopefully going to be studying Spanish and Philosophy Joint Honours at the University of Sheffield next year.

Any questions I think will be popular I'll post here with an answer so people don't have to keep on asking.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What's the atmosphere like?
A) Atmosphere is incredible. There's a massive sense of community. There are always things happening. We a have a Student Liason Officer (or Richie as everyone knows him, the most lovable Irish fella you'll ever meet) who organises different events and weeks throughout the year. The parties are great and everyone's friendly.

People do tend to say that Woodhouse is full of nerds who do nothing but work whereas nothing could be further from the truth. Not that no one works, but work isn't the only thing on people's minds. The parties I've been to have been pretty crazy. Also, theres a big sense of independent learning in Woodhouse. The teachers won't force you to work, there are no detentions for example, but instead they'll give you the resources and make themselves available and it's up to you to take them up on them.

Q) I'm on the waiting list, will I get in?
A) Unfortunately, the answer is that it depends. There's a long list of variables that have to be taken into account. Firstly, as Woodhouse accepts people to do certain subjects, you're competing against people from all 4 (I assume you're going for the standard number) subjects. I was on the waiting list before I got in so I'll use myself as an example. It's possible I was one the best candidates for Spanish and Philosophy, but when it came to History and Maths I was one of the worst. So in that case, I was put on the waiting list for when there was a space on the History and Maths courses.

Something else they take into account is distance from the college. I live in Finsbury Park which is roughly an 45-50 minute journey, and so inside the catchment area, which I believe is an hour and ten minutes by public transport.

Those are only two, but I'm sure there are other things they have to take into account, like dealing with the partner school students who have it easier getting in. Don't give up hope though, I was only on the waiting list for two/three weeks before I was accepted. You're most likely to be accepted after results day in August however, when there are applicants who don't make the grades and so aren't necessarily taken in.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well there is a Woodhouse applicant's thread and I guess they'd ask questions there since they are applying?
Reply 2
Ah, just missed you then. Does that mean you know Danny? He's the only person I know from that era. And I kinda remember the Chair of College Council. Who was really really hot.

Original post by ??????????????????
Well there is a Woodhouse applicant's thread and I guess they'd ask questions there since they are applying?

Yeah, I've posted in there, but there didn't seem to be anyone who actually went there. And so most of the questions are like "Is the biology department a good one?" as opposed to "How much and how good is the food in the canteen?". I dunno, if no one asks in here then I guess I'll know it wasn't very needed.
Reply 3
Original post by KwamiOdoom
I looked, but couldn't see anything against this, or a recent thread with a similar idea so here it is.

I am a current (until exams are over) student of Woodhouse College. I was Chairman of the College Council this year and Lower Sixth Chairman last year. So, if you have any questions about Woodhouse, the way the timetable works, the best places to get food, post 'em up here and I'll do my best to answer.

Any questions I think will be popular I'll post here with an answer so people don't have to keep on asking.

Nice idea, i've applied to woodhouse n got an offer, there is like a 90% chance that im be coming there... Just wanted to ask how is the general atmosphere and all?
Original post by N_young
Nice idea, i've applied to woodhouse n got an offer, there is like a 90% chance that im be coming there... Just wanted to ask how is the general atmosphere and all?

Laid back. In the St Doms thread I saw people who were applying saying that Woodhouse push you a lot. It's the complete opposite.
Reply 5
Laid back. In the St Doms thread I saw people who were applying saying that Woodhouse push you a lot. It's the complete opposite.

Is that in a good or a bad way?
Original post by N_young
Is that in a good or a bad way?

Depends. If you are lazy you need to take your own initiative. Though it is more fun and prepares you for uni by forcing you to take your own initiative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Depends. If you are lazy you need to take your own initiative. Though it is more fun and prepares you for uni b forcing you to take your own initiative.

ahh alright, see what you mean... what grade u predicted then? (or what grades have you got?) GCSE - A levl?
Reply 8
I've been put on the waiting list due to my combination of choices.. so what do you think my chances are in getting into the college?
Original post by N_young
ahh alright, see what you mean... what grade u predicted then? (or what grades have you got?) GCSE - A levl?

A*7AsBC... E LOL. (I only revised for scienec and that was in year 11)
Original post by rae_
I've been put on the waiting list due to my combination of choices.. so what do you think my chances are in getting into the college?

Depends on how many people chose your subjects, your grades, interview and distance to college etc.
Reply 10
A*7AsBC... E LOL. (I only revised for scienec and that was in year 11)

So why didnt you go latymer? or do you found woodhouse to be that good?
Original post by N_young
So why didnt you go latymer? or do you found woodhouse to be that good?

Didn't apply. I applied St Doms. Most of the people from my old school went there too. They lied about their religon tut tut. The E brought my average down so didn't meet the offer. Stupid cooking. :angry:
Reply 12
Original post by rae_

It's definitely a possibility, I got in off the waiting list, so don't give up hope!
Reply 13
Original post by N_young

Atmosphere is incredible. There's a massive sense of community. There are always things happening. We a have a Student Liason Officer (or Richie as everyone knows him, the most lovable Irish fella you'll ever meet) who organises different events and weeks throughout the year. The parties are great and everyone's friendly.

People do tend to say that Woodhouse is full of nerds who do nothing but work whereas nothing could be further from the truth. Not that no one works, but work isn't the only thing on people's minds. The parties I've been to have been pretty crazy. Also, theres a big sense of independent learning in Woodhouse. The teachers won't force you to work, there are no detentions for example, but instead they'll give you the resources and make themselves available and it's up to you to take them up on them.
Reply 14

Oh okay thanks

It's definitely a possibility, I got in off the waiting list, so don't give up hope!

That makes me feel better. What were your GCSEs like and your A Level choices if you don't mind me asking.

Also, some people tell me that Woodhouse seems to be more segrated than the apathied. Is that true?

I know its a silly question but there are so many rumours about the college...
Reply 15
Atmosphere is incredible. There's a massive sense of community. There are always things happening. We a have a Student Liason Officer (or Richie as everyone knows him, the most lovable Irish fella you'll ever meet) who organises different events and weeks throughout the year. The parties are great and everyone's friendly.

Thanks for letting me know... just a bit worried, no one from my schl is going there so will be a slightly lonely existence at first lol :/
Reply 16
Original post by rae_
Oh okay thanks

That makes me feel better. What were your GCSEs like and your A Level choices if you don't mind me asking.

Also, some people tell me that Woodhouse seems to be more segrated than the apathied. Is that true?

I know its a silly question but there are so many rumours about the college...

I know I got about 10As, a B and an A*. And one full BTEC and half BTEC added which counts for nothing. I'm taking Spanish, Philosophy and Maths at A2.

There are friendship groups definitely. And you'll find that there's a massive group of Greeks, black people and South-asians but to say segregated suggests that the groups never talk to each other. People all have different classes from their normal friends and so form friends in lessons as well. I have my main friends, but then have friends all over the college as well. And through those friends you meet their friends. So it's not segregated, but with 1200 students, you'd be naive to think you'll be besties with everyone.
Reply 17
Original post by N_young
Thanks for letting me know... just a bit worried, no one from my schl is going there so will be a slightly lonely existence at first lol :/

Not true! You'll meet friends so quickly at Woodhouse, I promise you. You have your tutor group who you'll see every day for two years. And then you have your subjects where you'll meet people. And then there'll also be the people who share your frees. Everyone makes friends ridiculously fast because there are so many people in the same position.
Reply 18
I know I got about 10As, a B and an A*. And one full BTEC and half BTEC added which counts for nothing. I'm taking Spanish, Philosophy and Maths at A2.

There are friendship groups definitely. And you'll find that there's a massive group of Greeks, black people and South-asians but to say segregated suggests that the groups never talk to each other. People all have different classes from their normal friends and so form friends in lessons as well. I have my main friends, but then have friends all over the college as well. And through those friends you meet their friends. So it's not segregated, but with 1200 students, you'd be naive to think you'll be besties with everyone.

So what is the proportions? is it mostly white? or is it mostly asian? (please dont take this as a racist comment, just trying to see what the community is like)
Reply 19
Not true! You'll meet friends so quickly at Woodhouse, I promise you. You have your tutor group who you'll see every day for two years. And then you have your subjects where you'll meet people. And then there'll also be the people who share your frees. Everyone makes friends ridiculously fast because there are so many people in the same position.

Good :smile: thanks... nice girls around:wink: ???
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest