The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Does anyone have any past papers or previous questions for this unit? I've tried the Edexcel website but you can't access them without a username and password, my teacher hasn't exactly been much help either as they haven't given us any examples or tasks to help with the exam =/
I'm doing Lysistrata and a Shakespeare play for section C but I don't know which one she has decided upon us seeing or the question paper's layout :frown:
Could someone please help me and my class?

Scroll to see replies

Heya,

I have to leave the house soon, but I'm just giving a heads up to say that I can scan what I've been given and see if I can get it to you by the end of the day or something. =) I have... two past papers I think and one exemplar answer for Section C, but their handwriting's really hard to read. x x
Reply 2
Original post by kmanchester93
Heya,

I have to leave the house soon, but I'm just giving a heads up to say that I can scan what I've been given and see if I can get it to you by the end of the day or something. =) I have... two past papers I think and one exemplar answer for Section C, but their handwriting's really hard to read. x x

Hey,
That would be great if you could and not any trouble for you ^^
All the examplar material from edexcel usually have crappy handwriting tbh XD I saw that when we were going through the coursework examplar materials for unit 1 -.-
xxx
im in the exact same situation!! My teachers arn't the most active of teachers so if you had any questions or resources that would be amazing thank you so much!!

x
Heya,

Hey I'm also in the same trouble, I feel like my teachers themselves aren't too sure of what the exam requires so if you have anything useful you could share with me it would be appreciated.

:smile: xx
thanks that would be amazing if you could post them, what play are you studying fro sections A + B? Im studying Woyzeck.

x
Reply 6
Heya,

It would be so awesome of you, thank you! Could you please send me the past papers and exemplar answer aswell? Having difficulties getting the material from Edexcel.

I'm actually new to the Student Room, so not sure how you would get it to me? Shall I give you my e-mail or will you just post it here?

Once again, thanks so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Hannah-Jayne
thanks that would be amazing if you could post them, what play are you studying fro sections A + B? Im studying Woyzeck.

x

Hey, was this directed to me? XD
Reply 8
I've found out that Section A will be a piece of selected text which you'll be asked to give your opinion on as to how you'd direct it along with what rehearsal techniques you'd use to achieve this and also why you'd use them and then Section B will be about how you'd direct the production as a whole.

Section C I've found out I'm doing Hamlet, comparing the Rose Theatre, Kingston version to the original production.

On the plus side we can all take in notes for Section C of up to 1,000 words then also the script we're doing for Section A & B
Reply 9
Not sure if this is any help to anyone anymore but hey ho here are some questions I've been given for Lysistrata by my tutor for section B and are 30 Marks

As a director, outline and justify your approach to a porduction of the play staged in your chosen performance space

As a director, outline your objectives for the character of Lysistrata in your production of the play and give supported examples of how your ideas might be achieved in performance

As a director outline and justify your approach to a production of the play that demonstrates your understanding of its historical context

As a director, outline your objectives for the use of two design elements in your production of the play and give examples, supported by reasons, of how your ideas may be achieved in performance

Good luck to everyone doing the Unit 4 Exam !
Original post by jrail1992
Not sure if this is any help to anyone anymore but hey ho here are some questions I've been given for Lysistrata by my tutor for section B and are 30 Marks

As a director, outline and justify your approach to a porduction of the play staged in your chosen performance space

As a director, outline your objectives for the character of Lysistrata in your production of the play and give supported examples of how your ideas might be achieved in performance

As a director outline and justify your approach to a production of the play that demonstrates your understanding of its historical context

As a director, outline your objectives for the use of two design elements in your production of the play and give examples, supported by reasons, of how your ideas may be achieved in performance

Haha I'm doing those last 2 questions now for homework over half-term. Awful idea to give us that as homework without much explanation if you ask me! Fortunately I've come up with my director's concept so I have some idea what to write about, but it's still difficult :\
Reply 11
Hiya.. I'm in the same sort of predicament.. I'm stuck with section C.. exam's not too long away now and I still haven't sorted all my notes out? Does anyone know the best way to do notes for section C? Please help! :smile: How have you guys sorted yours out?

Also could I be sent the example mock tests as well please?
Reply 12
Original post by jrail1992

Thank you so much ^^
Reply 13
Original post by tula baby
Hiya.. I'm in the same sort of predicament.. I'm stuck with section C.. exam's not too long away now and I still haven't sorted all my notes out? Does anyone know the best way to do notes for section C? Please help! :smile: How have you guys sorted yours out?

Also could I be sent the example mock tests as well please?

What period are you doing? I've tracked down a few shakespeare questions but the question concepts should be roughly the same for all periods cos we've got to compare the situations/ performances as in what you saw at the live performance and how it would've been performed.
Here's some of the questions I've got:

1. “This is the age of the designer, actors take second place In the light of this statement, discuss the production you have seen in comparison with its original performance conditions

2. Select a key role from the play you have seen and studied. Using your research log/ notes, compare and contrast this interpretation with the original performance conditions

3. “Theatre in the 21st century is full of tricks and gimmicks” Comment on the play you have seen in production in the light of the above statement and by reference to the original performance conditions

4. Discuss the way(s) ideas were communicated to the audience in the production you saw, comparing it to the original performance conditions

You need to make sure you write down some comparisions between both the original play's conditions and the modern adaptation of the play. I'm just making a table which one side I have the notes for the modern production and then the original play on the other and making my comparisions that way :smile: I've sorted my notes out using the Edexcel A2 Drama and theatre studies guide book but if you haven't got it then here's a way that you could sort your notes:

1. The actors & acting styles

2. The audience and the realtionship with the actors (distance from the audience, whether the actors acknowledge the audience and whether the actors performed to the audience)

3. The theatre techology

4. Theatre space

5. Performance factors (timing, admission prices, geographical positions, audeince capacity)

6. Themes and ideas presented

7. The text used and whether the same/ different versions were used, topical references from the original text, any difficulties in understanding the language and if there were in the original text did the modern adaptation cut or change those sections... It's kinda handy to like have a copy of the text just to read through as well you can sort of pin point certain passages that stood out to you :smile:

Hope this has been some form of help to you :smile:
Reply 14
I've found some Lysistrata questions if it's of any use to anyone?

1. You are the director planning a rehearsal of the section of the play pages 3-15.

(a) Outline for your performers two ways they might indicate the relationship between Lysistrata and Calonice at the start of this extract (4 marks)
(b) Consider three different rehearsal techniques you might use in order to highlight the different personalities of two of the women in this extract (6 marks)
(c) Explain to your performers how you intend to work on developing the relationship between Lysistrata and the other women in this extract, giving reasons for your approach, supported by clear examples (10 marks)
Reply 15
Thankyou! I do have the drama book your talking about but it confuses me so I don't use it haha. So for my notes if I just do that that should get me through the exam? My teacher has told me to use quotes with in my answer? Should I write these quotes in the notes or try and remember them? What can I do to gain the most marks?
Reply 16
Original post by tula baby
Thankyou! I do have the drama book your talking about but it confuses me so I don't use it haha. So for my notes if I just do that that should get me through the exam? My teacher has told me to use quotes with in my answer? Should I write these quotes in the notes or try and remember them? What can I do to gain the most marks?

Ahah I found it confusing at first too but like you know in section c at the beginning of each period it has like a break down of what to include in it heading so I'd say follow that to like get an idea of how to sort everything out.

I'm not too clear on the exam/ the way to achieve marks myself, I'm going to ask my teacher about that on Tuesday when I see her then I'll type up what she said on here :smile:, but I guess if you get the key parts and section it in the different possible focus of the various questions like acting, design, audience, director's interpretation etc. with the question's they word them in a certain way to confuse you but if you pin point the focus you should be fine :smile:

But I've been told to focus on key scenes rather than quote them like with the hamlet production I saw they cut most of the 'to be or not to be' speech as well as totally cut out Ophelia's death then for the exam describe how this affects the entire production like the impact/ lack of impact it causes and you could do similar for whatever you saw and get a copy of the play that you can read through to see what they cut/ introduced to the original play

Hope I've been of some help so far, I'm not an expert or anything but I'm trying as best as I can to help where I can :smile:
Anyone doing Woyzeck? Trying to come up with some section A rehearsal techniques here lols :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks so much! With section C do you have any sample answers? I am struggling with how to start the opening and conclude? Our teacher has told us to use a quote to start the essay off and go from there?
Reply 19
hey im doing woyzeck then shakespeare, how is everyone directing it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending