The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oooh, shiny new thread! I'd never seen that meme before either.

Oh, that's horrible to hear about the attack. I thought it might have stopped now, since we hadn't heard anything for awhile. :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by Leipzig
Suscribe.

Also, getting rather frustrated with my studies here at the moment, had a huge "This would be so much better if I were back in Cambridge" moment last night. Think it might have been a mistake to choose (essentially meaninless) exams here over May week... :frown:

In short, what this uni fails at:
- intellectually-stimulating teaching (I only really learn reading for myself, seminars are useless)
- a genuine sense of community (there's way too many students, I spend most of my time trying to battle through crowds)
- personal student-professor interaction (I'm not sure how many of my professors know who I am)

This is incredibly demoralising when I'm spending my evenings reading for overpacked seminars, knowing that I'm going to go there, get very little from it and hardly talk to anyone (students and professor alike).

Phew, rant over!

Oh no, that sounds really annoying. How much work do you actually have to do? I guess the best thing to do is just do the minimum that you have to and then read stuff you actually like in your spare time. What country are you in?

I think Cambridge does spoil us though: in many ways I do really like my university here in Chile (most people have made me feel very welcome, I've got some great friends there and some of the courses I've taken have been really interesting) but I am used to, for instance, a lot better library facilities and more freedom than I have here. Chilean uni reminds me a bit of school in the sense that they fail you if you don't meet attendance requirements and some subjects have tests every week on the required reading, which I personally find quite odd and boring (in Cambridge they just take for granted that we've done the required reading!). Some of the students are also incredibly narrow-minded: my university is very left-wing (which I like, I'm pretty left-wing myself) but some of the students aren't very tolerant of people with views further right than communism (at the moment we're on strike and there are loads of demonstrations against government education policies...and the students who participate in the demonstrations are now pointedly not talking to the ones that don't :s-smilie:). The teaching here is mostly good (even the horrible teacher who made me cry wasn't a bad teacher, just pretty arrogant) but I do miss the supervision system.

Ah well, I suppose I'll appreciate Cambridge a lot more when I get back.
Reply 42
Original post by Tortious
I've just had an email from our Senior Tutor saying that the latest late-night attack was in Botolph Lane, which is uncomfortably close to home. I feel slightly sick... :s-smilie:

EDIT:

Thought I'd quote you since you're pretty much a neighbour - I know that colleges don't always inform their students as soon as they receive information.

Attacks?
I haven't heard anything about any attacks:s-smilie:
I'm kind of detached from the uni with not living at college so maybe it hasn't filtered through to me here in isolation!
Reply 43
Original post by Katala
Attacks?
I haven't heard anything about any attacks:s-smilie:
I'm kind of detached from the uni with not living at college so maybe it hasn't filtered through to me here in isolation!
The Daily Mail has the best list of previous attacks I've found quickly. There is also an e-fit of the guy.
Reply 44

That is scary, I hope they catch the guy soon.
Original post by Athena
If I PM you my CRSid, will you forward it to me? They don't always tell grads about these things.

I don't think there's any private information so here's the email we got last night:

Message to all undergraduates, graduates, fellows and staff: Personal security late at night.

(I removed the name and footer that was at the end.)
Reply 46
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Also - fun facts, Craggy was top poster, then Alex, smilepea and Zoe! :biggrin:

I wanted to win, but I didn't post for a bit and craggy overtook me by miles and I never managed to catch up :sad:
Reply 47
Original post by smilepea
I wanted to win, but I didn't post for a bit and craggy overtook me by miles and I never managed to catch up :sad:

She's currently banned (by request!), now's your chance :lol: I think I'm probably currently winning, although I'm sure she'll come back and then we will all be outstripped again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by alex_hk90
I don't think there's any private information so here's the email we got last night.

Thanks very much for sharing that, Alex (seems a bit odd to rep and I don't think I can anyway, but appreciated).
Reply 49
Original post by Zoedotdot
She's currently banned, now's your chance :lol: I think I'm probably currently winning, although I'm sure she'll come back and then we will all be outstripped again.

Yer and I don't really want to be spammy just for the sake of being spammy and winning.

I'm off to Dojo's for lunch and I move into my house tomorrow :woo: :woo:
Reply 50
Original post by Crazy_emz
Oh no, that sounds really annoying. How much work do you actually have to do? I guess the best thing to do is just do the minimum that you have to and then read stuff you actually like in your spare time. What country are you in?

I think Cambridge does spoil us though: in many ways I do really like my university here in Chile (most people have made me feel very welcome, I've got some great friends there and some of the courses I've taken have been really interesting) but I am used to, for instance, a lot better library facilities and more freedom than I have here. Chilean uni reminds me a bit of school in the sense that they fail you if you don't meet attendance requirements and some subjects have tests every week on the required reading, which I personally find quite odd and boring (in Cambridge they just take for granted that we've done the required reading!). Some of the students are also incredibly narrow-minded: my university is very left-wing (which I like, I'm pretty left-wing myself) but some of the students aren't very tolerant of people with views further right than communism (at the moment we're on strike and there are loads of demonstrations against government education policies...and the students who participate in the demonstrations are now pointedly not talking to the ones that don't :s-smilie:). The teaching here is mostly good (even the horrible teacher who made me cry wasn't a bad teacher, just pretty arrogant) but I do miss the supervision system.

Ah well, I suppose I'll appreciate Cambridge a lot more when I get back.

I dunno, I guess I do more work than is necessary - usually 4 texts a week for politics, 2 for Russian and then about 5 hours of French. I could get away with about half of that I reckon, but there's no point in trying at all if I'm not going to do my best.

I'm in Germany btw, and seem to suffer from a chronic shortage of spare time...

Your university sounds much more interesting though!
Original post by alex_hk90
I don't think there's any private information so here's the email we got last night:

Message to all undergraduates, graduates, fellows and staff: Personal security late at night.

(I removed the name and footer that was at the end.)

That's pretty scary, especially the recommending always walking in pairs... I walked home by myself in the dark last night (only across Parker's Piece, but still) and it seems daft to ring the porter's for that type of thing!
Reply 52
I always get a warm feeling seeing the bit about the College taxi service and Porters' Lodges :smile: It's good to know there's a network across Cam of people who will help you.
Original post by Tyrotoxism
they're turning the buttery into a performance room? interesting. last year it was some "youtube cinema". in any case i will definitely come and find you.

how's the exams stuff coming along? you had your first yet? noticed your equity tweet. hope it's all ok now.

I've had 2 out of 5, two more this week. Equity went OK, I did 3 questions well and messed up the other one. Have you started yet?
This is a post in the new thread.
Reply 55
I know I'm not at Cam any more but exams haven't gotten any more fun :tongue: Also I miss the supervision system which made sure you did the necessary studying as you went along! I've had to learn a lot of models in the last two weeks
Just letting people know that today is definitely a good day to go to Yo Sushi if you're a fan - you get 5 free plates at the checkout if you say 'Karaoke' and your order is over £10, and the guy is currently giving you your 5 most expensive ones free - A friend and I had 8 plates between us, and it cost us £3.15 each :thumbsup:
Reply 57
I'm actually cringing a little bit whenever I read this thread title :p:
Original post by Sockpirate
Just letting people know that today is definitely a good day to go to Yo Sushi if you're a fan - you get 5 free plates at the checkout if you say 'Karaoke' and your order is over £10, and the guy is currently giving you your 5 most expensive ones free - A friend and I had 8 plates between us, and it cost us £3.15 each :thumbsup:

How did you come across that? :biggrin:
Original post by ukdragon37
How did you come across that? :biggrin:

Facebook :cool: 'like' their page, and every tuesday they give out a code-word which does something different every week - this week is the only week its been worth bothering so far though. Would definitely advocate going today - so much sushi for so little money! You could have 5 free pink plates, which is worth £19.50 - I originally thought they'd take the cheapest ones off, and that you'd have to spend over £10 after the 5 got taken away, but nope!

Latest

Trending

Trending