The Student Room Group

Learning Anatomy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by John Locke
pharmacology + biochemistry (mainly metabolic) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anatomy

Share the love for pharm, would refer you for a psych consult for your love of metabolic biochemistry.
Reply 21
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
There's no real point. Every uni has a different style/order of teaching it which assumes everyone is starting from stage 0.

It won't give you any advantage, there is too much to start without any defined learning outcomes. You'd be better learning a bit about bone and blood vessel structure generally before starting on gross anatomy :smile:

It's not really about having a point. 4 months is a long time to be doing nothing, and after learning the anatomy of the hand I found it interesting. But thanks for your input - if you don't mind replying again, are there any concepts Biologists would have learnt that I should catch up on - I took physics and chemistry, not biology.
Original post by Hypocrism
It's not really about having a point. 4 months is a long time to be doing nothing, and after learning the anatomy of the hand I found it interesting. But thanks for your input - if you don't mind replying again, are there any concepts Biologists would have learnt that I should catch up on - I took physics and chemistry, not biology.

May be different for other courses, but it's worth knowing about action potentials in neurones, muscle contraction, structure of the cell and intracellular compartments, molecular biology (genetics, transcription, translation, PCR etc.), differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes and protein structure. This is all stuff we went over early on in first year, but at the time we all agreed that if you'd never done bio it would be really hard, because of the pace. I hear what you're saying about wanting to do something with all that time, but please don't work too hard, you're going to spend the next God-knows-how-many years of your life working very hard indeed, and when you go into clinics that will be the end of your nice long summer holidays. Bearing in mind that you will probably only ever have three/four long holidays like this before you retire, go easy on yourself :smile:

Mmmm and for anatomy I recommend Gray's, the diagrams are very clear and easy to understand even if you haven't seen the dissection/prosection. There are free websites online where you can watch dissection too, PM if you want the link. If you're going to do anatomy, consider doing something like hand/wrist/arm where there's just a lot of things to learn, as opposed to thorax/abdomen/pelvis which IMHO are more conceptual.
Enough of the reading up before uni pre-freshers! Trust me by the end of the first year you'll be so sick of studying you'll be kicking yourself for making that 4 months longer! The long medical degree is indeed, long. Enjoy your time off!!
Original post by sixthformer
so if all uni's are GMC certified/approved

why are their courses different?

do they ALL cover the same content

or do cambridge students do more scientific , anatomical, biochemical work, while say a medic in imperial or kele will not learn as much, and will just go around doing placements?

=/ i have researched this, but tbh, it's so muddling

thank you! i know i have got it wrong!(i hope)

Why do you group Imperial and Keele? Their courses are totally different. Imperial's course is very similar to the oxbridge courses, just with practical work taught alongside the theory whereas the keele course is far more practical.

Essentially, all GMC certified unis will teach you how to be a good doctor.
Reply 25
I echo what some people have said; enjoy the summer and don't waste your time studying before you know the syllabus. You will regret not making the most of the time you had when you're fed up of studying during first year!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hypocrism

Everything you need to know is taught, in my (albeit limited) experience, the people who 'read up' about anatomy or physiology or drugs or whatever before we started just came across as arrogant ****s that everyone avoided :rolleyes:

By all means have a look around, but you really do not need it :smile:

or do cambridge students do more scientific , anatomical, biochemical work, while say a medic in imperial or kele will not learn as much, and will just go around doing placements?

Because it is about what you know, not how you were taught it...

In theory every graduate of every UK medical school has the same knowledge and skills (which is true if you don't want to be pedantic). Every uni thinks they have the 'best' way of putting those facts and skills across. It's six and half a dozen, you all learn the same stuff.
Reply 28

If all sausages have to conform to the european standards - why do some taste different? Medical school isn't about making 200-300 identical sausages each year, which in turn are identical to the 7500 other sausages made elsewhere. All the GMC is certifying is that those junior doctors are safe to practise. That doesn't mean that they are identical clones though.

There is no curriculum 'as such', although there is a vague idea of what a junior doctor ought to know. Different medical schools interpret that differently.

I don't necessarily agree that all medical schools do teach the same thing (all be it by different journeys). Its certainly true that during the clinical phase(s) of your course you will largely be taught the same thing wherever you go. All junior doctors come equipped with a pre-prepared mini-lesson on aortic stenosis or causes of jaundice and wherever you go that sort of teaching is pretty standard. But in preclinical terms you could graduate with a very limited knowledge in some areas and not in others. For example some medical schools labour over histopathology whereas others basically don't teach it beyond the most basic 'FYI this is a microscope' level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by airtones
If all sausages have to conform to the european standards - why do some taste different? Medical school isn't about making 200-300 identical sausages each year, which in turn are identical to the 7500 other sausages made elsewhere. All the GMC is certifying is that those junior doctors are safe to practise. That doesn't mean that they are identical clones though.

Haha, I'm a big fan of this analogy!
if anatomy is not fun, what about your course do you like or attracted you?

I chose the course because it's medicine and I want to be doctor, and I chose Manchester because I wanted to come to Manchester. Pretty simple really.

I wasn't overly bothered by the structure of the different courses, though I did have some vague notion that I wanted to do PBL rather than a lecture-based course.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Textbook-Functional-Anatomy-Combined/dp/0192628194

I am recommending this largely because my tutor wrote it :awesome:
And on whether you should actually do this:
I'd suggest just getting to grips with the basic terminology and stuff and making sure you know that, so that when it is taught you understand and can take it in first time. My main problem from not reading beforehand wasn't that there was too much material or that I'd regretted not starting earlier, it was just that I didn't understand the stuff they were talking about in lectures when they said it. So get to grips with terms like dorsal, ventral, inferior, superior, rostral, caudal, lateral, medial, anterior, posterior and stuff. I would say make sure you enjoy your summer holidays, but definitely feel free to get to grips with the most basic parts and get a general overview before you start :-)
Original post by Calumcalum
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Textbook-Functional-Anatomy-Combined/dp/0192628194

I am recommending this largely because my tutor wrote it :awesome:

Interesting. I've never seen that before, is it a similar sort of idea to the abridged version of Moore and Agur?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Interesting. I've never seen that before, is it a similar sort of idea to the abridged version of Moore and Agur?

Er... I don't know what that is :awesome:
Original post by Calumcalum
Er... I don't know what that is :awesome:

Clinically Oriented Anatomy.
Reply 36
here's my secret to learning anatomy

(edited 12 years ago)
It has been said before but seriously enjoy your summer because you have a tough (though hopefully rewarding) few years ahead of you! You will be given lectures online/lecture slides that will specify exactly what anatomy you need to learn as well as reading lists. Generally in our exams, the diagrams in the exam are from the books on the reading list so maybe you would get confused if you used a difference source.
Reply 38
if anatomy is not fun, what about your course do you like or attracted you?
The distinct lack of ****ting anatomy.

Seriously, if I'd wanted to know lots of anatomy I would have done an anatomy degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fission_Mailed

it's not really abridged despite its size haha. mix of evolutionary stuff with embryological origins with clinical significance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending