The Student Room Group

Help to choose right Master. Politics: LSE, Warwick, Kings or SOAS?

Hi guys,

I´m an international student with a bachelor´s degree in Political Science and I REALLY need your advice for some MA programmes!

I´ve been admitted for the following MA programmes in the UK:

LSE- MSc Politics and Government in the European Union (my first choice was International Relations Theory, but I applied too late, now Im in a reserve group for IRT)

Kings College- MA International Relations

Warwick and NTU (Singapore) - Double Masters Programme in Politics and
International Studies

SOAS- MA International Politics

My favorites are LSE and the Double Master Programme Warwick-NTU!

What do you guys recommend me to choose? Is LSE worth the money? How are my chances to find a job in EU Institutions with a LSE degree? Does anyone of you have information about the Double Masters?

I could imagine becoming an academic or working for Int. Organisations!

Thanks !!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to work in international organisations then LSE is the way to go.
Reply 2
LSE is full of nerds though. I would go for SOAS, you will have a much better time.
Reply 3
Original post by lord snow
LSE is full of nerds though. I would go for SOAS, you will have a much better time.

There's a difference between being a nerd and being clever. Sure there'll be nerds at LSE, but that'll be a given at any world class university.
Reply 4
If you are a prestige conscious, LSE is the way to go. LSE has global appeal and has alumni all over the world.

The dual master's at Warwick and NTU is quite interesting too and it will give you an opportunity to study in the UK and Singapore at the same time.
Original post by therealOG
If you want to work in international organisations then LSE is the way to go.

Er...where did you get that from?
Reply 6
Original post by beefmaster
Er...where did you get that from?

Getting into international organisations such as the UN, EU, IMF, World Bank etc is extremely competitive, and as a result the university's reputation and prestige matters a lot. LSE has the brand name, and it also has a track record of sending people off to work in areas such as these.
Getting into international organisations such as the UN, EU, IMF, World Bank etc is extremely competitive, and as a result the university's reputation and prestige matters a lot. LSE has the brand name, and it also has a track record of sending people off to work in areas such as these.

I work in this sector and I assure you that experience is what counts. I have colleagues with the degrees from the most random of universities but have done relevant internships and language study and have got a job.
Reply 8
I work in this sector and I assure you that experience is what counts. I have colleagues with the degrees from the most random of universities but have done relevant internships and language study and have got a job.

Obviously. All other things being equal, LSE will give an edge. It will also give the OP an edge when applying for relevant internships.
Obviously. All other things being equal, LSE will give an edge. It will also give the OP an edge when applying for relevant internships.

Believe what you want, but I assure you that the brand name is not an issue in the sector. It is completely different to finance / consultancy etc.

OP: you will find out what I am saying is true when you start to work in the sector. Believe what you want; but the only place where prestige counts with regards to international organisations, and many other sectors, is TSR!
Reply 10
Believe what you want, but I assure you that the brand name is not an issue in the sector. It is completely different to finance / consultancy etc.

OP: you will find out what I am saying is true when you start to work in the sector. Believe what you want; but the only place where prestige counts with regards to international organisations, and many other sectors, is TSR!

Could you actually tell me and the OP what area you're in and what level you're at - are you working for a charity, have you come from the EU graduate scheme? Until then, you can't really stamp your authority about like that and deny what I'm saying.
Reply 11
congratulations on your offers!!! I believe I share your same interests as I applied to your exact SOAS's course(still waiting) and King's one(rejected :frown:)

Anyway, I'm not an LSE lover at all. I know it has an outstanding reputation but I still think that LSE is worth it more for Economics, rather than Politics. In addition, you didn't tell us if fees are an issue for you or not. Masters at LSE are more expensive than in the other universities, and you will be in London, a really expensive city.

I love SOAS's MSc in International Politics but I'm ensure about some of the modules. I think it's worth it only if you are sure about focusing only certain areas( Africa, Asia or Middle East). I read somewhere that not a lot of people apply to UN jobs(or other international organisations) after a master about SOAS.

King's MA in International Relations is a master degree offered by the Department of War Studies. Outstanding professors and courses, and the Department has a lot of links and connections to important think tanks in UK.

My best friend got in the DD Warwick/Singapore and she is either going to go this year or ask for a deferred entry(and take this year a master at Bruxelles university). I believe that a DD is more qualifying than a regular master and I'm sure will look good in your cv. On the other side, are you sure you want to live one year in Singapore?

Personally, I would either choose the DD or King's Course (because of the employment connections) :wink:
Reply 12
In order:

LSE
Warwick
Kings College
SOAS
Reply 13
Original post by itasammy
congratulations on your offers!!! I believe I share your same interests as I applied to your exact SOAS's course(still waiting) and King's one(rejected :frown:)

Anyway, I'm not an LSE lover at all. I know it has an outstanding reputation but I still think that LSE is worth it more for Economics, rather than Politics. In addition, you didn't tell us if fees are an issue for you or not. Masters at LSE are more expensive than in the other universities, and you will be in London, a really expensive city.

I love SOAS's MSc in International Politics but I'm ensure about some of the modules. I think it's worth it only if you are sure about focusing only certain areas( Africa, Asia or Middle East). I read somewhere that not a lot of people apply to UN jobs(or other international organisations) after a master about SOAS.

King's MA in International Relations is a master degree offered by the Department of War Studies. Outstanding professors and courses, and the Department has a lot of links and connections to important think tanks in UK.

My best friend got in the DD Warwick/Singapore and she is either going to go this year or ask for a deferred entry(and take this year a master at Bruxelles university). I believe that a DD is more qualifying than a regular master and I'm sure will look good in your cv. On the other side, are you sure you want to live one year in Singapore?

Personally, I would either choose the DD or King's Course (because of the employment connections) :wink:

Im very well aware of the excellent reputation of LSE. However, I would prefer International Relations rather than European Studies. But if you have a degree from LSE, you will have best chances to get a high position anywhere in the world.

The DD Warwick/Singapore looks very interesting and is about the same cost like LSE. The difference is, you will get two Masters. It would look very good on my CV
as I have already studied in Germany and the US. You see, I have no problems living in Singapore or somewhere else. And I would be able to view International Politics from an Asian persepctive.

Kings College and SOAS are by far cheaper than LSE and the DD Warwick/Singapore. Kings College seems to have a very good reputation too. But of course, LSE is more prestigous.

The main problem is, Im not sure which career path to take in future. The academic path with focus on Foreign Policy Analysis (Turkish, US, EU foreign policy) or to work for EU institutions or the UN which are also appealing to me.

Thanks for your help!!!
I don;t know where you get that LSE is more well known for Econ then Poli sci...THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE. Also the SOAS IR degree modules are different than the MSc in Asian Politics which has the Asian modules in it. Even so LSE has Christopher Hughes whom is recognized as one of the 3 top leading experts of Northeast Asia in Europe and one of the most well known in the study of the IR of East Asia in the world. The SOAS faculty for Asian politics is much weaker compared to their faculty in the Middle East.
Reply 15
Original post by PKU_Research007
I don;t know where you get that LSE is more well known for Econ then Poli sci...THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE. Also the SOAS IR degree modules are different than the MSc in Asian Politics which has the Asian modules in it. Even so LSE has Christopher Hughes whom is recognized as one of the 3 top leading experts of Northeast Asia in Europe and one of the most well known in the study of the IR of East Asia in the world. The SOAS faculty for Asian politics is much weaker compared to their faculty in the Middle East.

Nice post :confused: I was just expressing my opinion and can tell you that most of the people in my country when they think about LSE, they have in mind their Economics courses. This doesn't mean that the department of politics is not as outstanding as the other departments.

The SOAS Msc in International Politics has almost all the optional modules focused on Asia, Middle East or Africa. If you don't believe me look at this link:

http://www.soas.ac.uk/politics/programmes/mscintpol/

Which of course I get it, it's the reason for choosing SOAS instead of other universities, but when you are not sure about your future job maybe(and just maybe) is better not to specialize in an area that you may not like. But this is really up to him/her!

By the way, let's not start a fight because there is really no need to. This is a thread opened by someone who needs useful suggestions for choosing his own path of life and the best course for him.
Reply 16
Original post by itasammy
Nice post :confused: I was just expressing my opinion and can tell you that most of the people in my country when they think about LSE, they have in mind their Economics courses. This doesn't mean that the department of politics is not as outstanding as the other departments.

The SOAS Msc in International Politics has almost all the optional modules focused on Asia, Middle East or Africa. If you don't believe me look at this link:

http://www.soas.ac.uk/politics/programmes/mscintpol/

Which of course I get it, it's the reason for choosing SOAS instead of other universities, but when you are not sure about your future job maybe(and just maybe) is better not to specialize in an area that you may not like. But this is really up to him/her!

By the way, let's not start a fight because there is really no need to. This is a thread opened by someone who needs useful suggestions for choosing his own path of life and the best course for him.

The guy is hardly starting a fight.

There's an old saying at LSE: "When you graduate, you can either turn right and make your millions, or you can turn left and change the world".

Left and Right in both senses (politically, and the fact that LSE is situated between the Square Mile and the Houses of Parliament). Basically, LSE alumni are also big players in the political world.

While that's true in most most cases, many hiring managers at development banks are still prestige whores...
Could you actually tell me and the OP what area you're in and what level you're at - are you working for a charity, have you come from the EU graduate scheme? Until then, you can't really stamp your authority about like that and deny what I'm saying.

I am a P-3.

Went from entry level abroad to international level abroad.

I am sure that is enough to know how the recruitment process works, especially considering many of my close colleagues work in HR.
Reply 19

I think this is immaterial when you're talking about specific job positions at large organizations. I'm sure the other 3 given universities are as much respected as LSE at companies that recognize the LSE qualification. I'm talking about recent experiences though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending