The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
COuld someone reply to me whether i am eligible in the top 40 unis in the uk so just any other unis higher that oxford brookes in rankings - Gcses 5 A*s 3 As 2Bs and 1 C and for AS - im not sure but i think i didnt do as well - got another 2 exams in 2 weeks!
I think A,B,B,C,C?? any recommendations - i know i should be able to get into oxford brookes if i try hard and same for reading but i want to go to Birmingham (the good one),Warwick or if even possible Durham but the last 3 requires at least 3 As which is hard - any honest feedback from this!
Hey, i want to ask if anyone here could help me also in heading me with the right information on whether i would be able to get into universities that i have decided to apply to, and whether my grades are good enough for them.

it would be really appreciated if you could help me out!!

GCSE's 1A , 5B's and 3C's

A levels, health and social applied, applied science, psychology which im going to drop in A2 and history

im predicting that im most likely to get BBC, but not sure about it

if you could give me honest answer than i would be really grateful to you !!.
Reply 22
Original post by brown butler
Hey, i want to ask if anyone here could help me also in heading me with the right information on whether i would be able to get into universities that i have decided to apply to, and whether my grades are good enough for them.

it would be really appreciated if you could help me out!!

GCSE's 1A , 5B's and 3C's

A levels, health and social applied, applied science, psychology which im going to drop in A2 and history

im predicting that im most likely to get BBC, but not sure about it

if you could give me honest answer than i would be really grateful to you !!.

Which Universities are you considering?
Hello fellow law peeps! I'm hopefully planning on looking at:
Warwick,
Nottingham,
Birmingham,
Leiceister,
Bristol,
Lancaster,
also maybe QCL or Oxbridge but I think that's a bit far-fetched!
My GCSEs were A*A*A*A*A*AAAABB and fingers crossed for 4 As in my AS results (though Literature didn't go as well as I'd hoped :frown:)
Would the top univerisities be put off that I do Law and Psychology A Level (as well as Lit and History. Bearing in mind I'm dropping Psychology next year!!!)? Also would they mind that I come form a very low working class background (there is supposedly nno class bias but there obviously is!)?
And is doing Law at university as intense as people make out?
Thank you!
Reply 24
Original post by lovelydarling
Warwick,
Nottingham,
Birmingham,
Leiceister,
Bristol,
Lancaster,
My GCSEs were A*A*A*A*A*AAAABB and fingers crossed for 4 As in my AS results (though Literature didn't go as well as I'd hoped :frown:)
Would the top univerisities be put off that I do Law and Psychology A Level (as well as Lit and History. Bearing in mind I'm dropping Psychology next year!!!)? Also would they mind that I come form a very low working class background (there is supposedly nno class bias but there obviously is!)?
Thank you!

Your choices seem fine, and if you did get AAAA/AAB/AABB, applying to Oxbridge would be understandable. You've got two very strong subjects in English Lit and History, so it probably won't matter. Your background won't matter, if anything it will be beneficial. Can't comment on the last question:wink:
Original post by lovelydarling
Warwick,
Nottingham,
Birmingham,
Leiceister,
Bristol,
Lancaster,
Thank you!

I can't see a huge flaw with your grades to be honest. Lit and History are very highly regarded subjects so if you come out with As at AS for them and A predictions at A2, you shouldn't have any problems.
When talking about social classes, it is hard to predict what will happen (not that it should make any difference - but unfortunately, in some cases, it does) in terms of how they look upon people's backgrounds; though unfortunately, it looks like with the higher fees universities will be interested in who can pay the money upfront, as there is no option of just paying something like £4,500 for the year, it has to be the full £9k or loan.
Mind you, this is all my interpretation and understanding of the system and from my point of view and the small knowledge that I have, you should fine.
Reply 26
Hello To You All

I am not applying this year but have recently been through the process of applying for law.

So far there has been a lot of debate over which universities people should and shouldn’t apply to. I thought I’d give you a bit of law school info and expectations of what kind of chances some of you can expect to have when applying to top uni’s.

I think the general hierarchy of TOP law schools as gauged from last year is as follows

Top:

Oxbridge and LSE

Second Level

UCL, Durham, Warwick, KCL and maybe Nottingham

Next tier

Bristol, Birmingham, QMUL, Manchester, Leeds Lancaster

Within the top law schools career wise and league table based this is the general hierarchy that was agreed amongst us last year.
If you get into any of these you have done well. The top tier you have done exceptionally well.

In terms of overall careers I would probably have to say the best chance of getting to the Bar or MC firms is through being at a law school in the first and second levels. This is not to say of course it is impossible to get into them from the lower universities.. It is just that the universities in the top tiers make up the majority of the recruiting grounds when it comes to the top jobs in the legal world.

My advice would be to choose your choices carefully. Law is SUPER competitive, even the best graded people struggle to get into Oxbridge/LSE due to the fierce competition.

Whatever your grades I would say consider one option from the third tier or below just encase something unexpected happens in your application.
UCL for example is said to have had around 18 applicants for 1 place last year.
Good luck and I hope many of you will join me in the fantastic study of law next year!
Reply 27
Original post by Safety K
Hello To You All

I am not applying this year but have recently been through the process of applying for law.

So far there has been a lot of debate over which universities people should and shouldn’t apply to. I thought I’d give you a bit of law school info and expectations of what kind of chances some of you can expect to have when applying to top uni’s.

I think the general hierarchy of TOP law schools as gauged from last year is as follows

Top:

Oxbridge and LSE

Second Level

Next tier

Within the top law schools career wise and league table based this is the general hierarchy that was agreed amongst us last year.
If you get into any of these you have done well. The top tier you have done exceptionally well.

In terms of overall careers I would probably have to say the best chance of getting to the Bar or MC firms is through being at a law school in the first and second levels. This is not to say of course it is impossible to get into them from the lower universities.. It is just that the universities in the top tiers make up the majority of the recruiting grounds when it comes to the top jobs in the legal world.

My advice would be to choose your choices carefully. Law is SUPER competitive, even the best graded people struggle to get into Oxbridge/LSE due to the fierce competition.

Whatever your grades I would say consider one option from the third tier or below just encase something unexpected happens in your application.
Good luck and I hope many of you will join me in the fantastic study of law next year!

I 100% concur with this assessment! TAKE NOTICE OF IT EVERYONE!
Original post by Safety K
Hello To You All

Top:

Oxbridge and LSE

Second Level

Next tier

So you haven't begun your law degree yet. Was there a basis for this assessment beyond league tables?
Reply 29
Ok i am probably not as intellectual as some of you a level students on here but i must say - its hilarious how you refer to competition as being "fierce" - mentally i understand what you mean but it sounds as though you are going to war with another student LOLZ XD
I'm thinking....

Durham
Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
KCL

We shall see how these AS exams went tho :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Hi,

I am selling recognised LNAT papers consisting of 10 separate papers of 42 multiple choice questions complete with answers and 50 essay titles to practice!

Inbox me for more information

Sue
Reply 32
Original post by Sue1961
Hi,

I am selling recognised LNAT papers consisting of 10 separate papers of 42 multiple choice questions complete with answers and 50 essay titles to practice!

Inbox me for more information

Sue

Spammer...read the title before commenting - no one wants ur copies!
Reply 33
I am not a spammer - I am a mum - who bought her son these LNAT papers which he sat last November 2010 and he found them very helpful.

I am proud to say he did extremely well and got all 5 University offers!
Original post by Junaid16
Which Universities are you considering?

sorry for the late reply, but i was considering on applying to:

Birmingham city university
winchester uni
glasgow
manchester
and keele

However, im not too keen on applying to manchester as their requirements in my opinion are too high for me to reach that target, but if you could give me advice on that then i would be really greatful brother.
Reply 35
sorry for the late reply, but i was considering on applying to:

Birmingham city university
winchester uni
glasgow
manchester
and keele

However, im not too keen on applying to manchester as their requirements in my opinion are too high for me to reach that target, but if you could give me advice on that then i would be really greatful brother.

To be brutally honest if you were to get BBC. You'd have almost no chance at Manchester/Glasgow, the others would be possible.
Original post by Junaid16
To be brutally honest if you were to get BBC. You'd have almost no chance at Manchester/Glasgow, the others would be possible.

Cheers brother, i thought so it was going to be hard to get in those 2, but do you think ma GCSE's will bring me down? i mean i know they're lower than majority of people applying to universities but still do you think i even have any chance of getting in there?
Reply 37
Cheers brother, i thought so it was going to be hard to get in those 2, but do you think ma GCSE's will bring me down? i mean i know they're lower than majority of people applying to universities but still do you think i even have any chance of getting in there?

Your GCSEs aren't that bad, it's your A-Level choices, which may cause problems combined with the average grades. Subjects like applied health care and applied psychology aren't well regarded.
Reply 38

hello brother!!!

I personally recommend you to apply to cambridge, and oxford!!!!

because I think you've got a great chance, especially with your personlaity!!! i think if they see that your a decent guy, then they'll want you...want...want.....:wink:
Kings,Bristol,Warwick,Nottingham,Manchester

Law&Finance @ Oxford :sogood:

Quick Reply

Latest