The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3 A World Divided: Superpower Relations 1944-90 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by W.H.T
x

Hey :smile: I'm doing this exam as well and we haven't even looked at a past paper!
So... with the knowledge-based part B, the two questions we can choose from will only be from units 2+3 or 8+9?

So confused...
Reply 21
Original post by lechaton-x
Hey :smile: I'm doing this exam as well and we haven't even looked at a past paper!
So... with the knowledge-based part B, the two questions we can choose from will only be from units 2+3 or 8+9?

So confused...

Well both section A and B involve own knowledge. The difference is that in section B, you will be given 2-3 sources of historians' views, and you will have to incorporate these into your answer, as well as evaluating the merits and validity of them. Unlike in AS-level, theres no need to do nature, origin and purpose stuff with these sources.

From what I understand, and what others have said, yes the units in the book will either be for section A, or B. So for section A, questions will be from units 4,5,6,7. For section B, questions will be from units 2,3,8,9. I'm pretty sure that for section B, one question choice will be from 2 and 3, and the other from 8 and 9. So I think you can get away with revising only 2 and 3, or 8 and 9. If you look at the this thread about the Kaiser to furher option:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31946099

People there are talking about how you can get away with revising only about half the units.

You've got the red edexcel textbook right?
Original post by W.H.T
Well both section A and B involve own knowledge. The difference is that in section B, you will be given 2-3 sources of historians' views, and you will have to incorporate these into your answer, as well as evaluating the merits and validity of them. Unlike in AS-level, theres no need to do nature, origin and purpose stuff with these sources.

From what I understand, and what others have said, yes the units in the book will either be for section A, or B. So for section A, questions will be from units 4,5,6,7. For section B, questions will be from units 2,3,8,9. I'm pretty sure that for section B, one question choice will be from 2 and 3, and the other from 8 and 9. So I think you can get away with revising only 2 and 3, or 8 and 9. If you look at the this thread about the Kaiser to furher option:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31946099

People there are talking about how you can get away with revising only about half the units.

You've got the red edexcel textbook right?

Oh awesome, I know the start of the Cold War (2+3) REALLY well. I don't have much revision to do on that front then.

and yes...I have the red textbook :smile:

4,5,6+7 may prove a little harder though. How are you planning to revise that? Are some people just revising a few units for that too? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Oh awesome, I know the start of the Cold War (2+3) REALLY well. I don't have much revision to do on that front then.

and yes...I have the red textbook :smile:

4,5,6+7 may prove a little harder though. How are you planning to revise that? Are some people just revising a few units for that too? x

I'm revising 5, 6 and 7 for section A. They give you two choices, with each coming from one unit, so I think Im safe that there must be at least question on 5, 6 or 7. So I'm only leaving out unit 4.

For B, I've so far focused on unit 8 and 9. The only problem I have with these units, is that the textbook doesn't have as much on the differing historians' views and debates for them, as unit 2 and 3. For 2 and 3, pages 57-66 are on historians. But for 8 and 9, only p181-188 are on it.

Do you think units 2 and 3 are easier compared to units 8 and 9?

and what do you make of the textbook? (personally I think its alright, but lacking in detail a bit)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by W.H.T
I'm revising 5, 6 and 7 for section A. They give you two choices, with each coming from one unit, so I think Im safe that there must be at least question on 5, 6 or 7. So I'm only leaving out unit 4.

For B, I've so far focused on unit 8 and 9. The only problem I have with these units, is that the textbook doesn't have as much on the differing historians' views and debates for them, as unit 2 and 3. For 2 and 3, pages 57-66 are on historians. But for 8 and 9, only p181-188 are on it.

Do you think units 2 and 3 are easier compared to units 8 and 9?

and what do you make of the textbook? (personally I think its alright, but lacking in detail a bit)

I hate it- I bought the access to history books for detail, and I use the Edexcel book for exam technique.

I wouldn't know if 2+3 are easier, but just from my childhood (yeah, a boring childhood)...my dad was a history nut and I found myself knowing 2+3 inside out in lesson time because I watched so many documentaries and read so many books as a little girl :/ so I'll focus on this for Part B...also the teaching for history is horrendous at my school- we covered 8+9 in like 2 weeks, not in detail at all...

Hmm, still don't feel very confident. Could you share some practice essay titles? I'm looking through the book and can't find any that I haven't done! xx
Reply 25
I hate it- I bought the access to history books for detail, and I use the Edexcel book for exam technique.

I wouldn't know if 2+3 are easier, but just from my childhood (yeah, a boring childhood)...my dad was a history nut and I found myself knowing 2+3 inside out in lesson time because I watched so many documentaries and read so many books as a little girl :/ so I'll focus on this for Part B...also the teaching for history is horrendous at my school- we covered 8+9 in like 2 weeks, not in detail at all...

Hmm, still don't feel very confident. Could you share some practice essay titles? I'm looking through the book and can't find any that I haven't done! xx

Don't have many practice essay titles other than the ones in the textbook, which you already have, but I've attached the paper from last year and the mark scheme.

Btw, for your section B units, are you learning about the historians debate and different schools of thoughs like revionist and post revisonist etc, I mean do you think its essential to know these groupings of historians very well? (I assume in the essay, you could just talk about the different sides of the arguments like you would with any other essay) and what section A units are you going to focus on?
Reply 26
I am sitting the exam on the 10th (Friday) and was wondering if anybody had any examplar essays of A/B grade essays.

My topic is 'A World Divided: Superpower relations 1944-90'

I would be interested in seeing any essays from any topic though as it is the style I am interested in.

I am especially worried about the 40 mark source question so any advice on how best to approach these questions would also be most helpful.

What does everyone think is going to come up as i'm starting revision today as i've had exams before this so i'm only going to revise detente thaw and end of cold war is this viable please??????????????//
xxxxxx
Reply 28
I don't mean literally "perfect" but I mean top marked essays, would anyone mind posting an exam of a previous essay they've done which they received near top marks for? I keep getting B's for my essays in Superpower Relations and I REALLY need to get an A if I have any hope of getting a B in my exam to meet my offer (Got a B in AS overall (A+C) and a C in my A2 coursework which is 40%) so I realllyyy am pushing for it.

I don't really care if what topic it's on, I can pick apart an essays if it's not on Cold War, especially with Source's just to get an example of better exam technique and that.

Any examples would be heavily appreciated if you have one on your computer you can just copy and paste or PM me, I think it's really useful to pick apart other people's essays especially when I can't find any "top leveled" example answers, just high B's. :/
Reply 29
Original post by W.H.T
Don't have many practice essay titles other than the ones in the textbook, which you already have, but I've attached the paper from last year and the mark scheme.

Btw, for your section B units, are you learning about the historians debate and different schools of thoughs like revionist and post revisonist etc, I mean do you think its essential to know these groupings of historians very well? (I assume in the essay, you could just talk about the different sides of the arguments like you would with any other essay) and what section A units are you going to focus on?

WARNING.

I have 2 history teachers, one for sources and one for essay. The sources teacher taught us EVERYTHING about historiography for about 2 months and then we asked our history teacher and he pointed out if we mentioned all this, we could get done for copying an argument because we'd basically just be wasting words and going into too much detail.

I'd mention if a source is revisionist/post/whatever, but I wouldn't go too much into the debate as it just detracts from your argument.
Reply 30
Original post by Xhotas
WARNING.

I have 2 history teachers, one for sources and one for essay. The sources teacher taught us EVERYTHING about historiography for about 2 months and then we asked our history teacher and he pointed out if we mentioned all this, we could get done for copying an argument because we'd basically just be wasting words and going into too much detail.

I'd mention if a source is revisionist/post/whatever, but I wouldn't go too much into the debate as it just detracts from your argument.

copying as in plagarism, seriously?

How could you get in trouble for describing an opinion or a school of thought?

Its not like you're claiming its your own original thoughts, or anything like thats.
Reply 31
Original post by W.H.T
copying as in plagarism, seriously?

How could you get in trouble for describing an opinion or a school of thought?

Its not like you're claiming its your own original thoughts, or anything like thats.

It's in the mark scheme and in the examiner's report than the source question is based on interpretation and not historiography, candidates often make the mistake of going too much into it and not focusing on their arguments while doing it. Everyone is going to basically say "This source from orthodox, the orthodox view is held by blahblah" etc.

We've been told to mention which school of thought it follows and mention a historian or two (if we can think of them) who also holds that thought. You don't have to mention much more than that UNLESS it helps your argument about judging the reliability of that source (say, if it's a source from a historian from the 50s talking about Stalin) otherwise you're just wasting words.
Reply 32
Original post by physics_oh_darn..
What does everyone think is going to come up as i'm starting revision today as i've had exams before this so i'm only going to revise detente thaw and end of cold war is this viable please??????????????//
xxxxxx

my advice is it would be miles better for u to study thaw, arms race and cold war origins as der pretty much linked and soo easy
Original post by Xhotas
WARNING.

This is absolute nonsense, sorry.
Reply 34
I'm really stressing. I'm trying to learn all four depth studies and the beginning of the Cold war before tomorrow but I am stuck because I am terrible at revising and alway revise things that arent relavent. Should I, at this point take a risk or just try and cram as much as I can?
Original post by jammy2399
I'm really stressing. I'm trying to learn all four depth studies and the beginning of the Cold war before tomorrow but I am stuck because I am terrible at revising and alway revise things that arent relavent. Should I, at this point take a risk or just try and cram as much as I can?

There is a revision check-list at the back of the red book which you might benefit from.
Reply 36
Original post by Cast.Iron
There is a revision check-list at the back of the red book which you might benefit from.

Just found it thanks that probably will help.
for part B and the beginning of the cold war isit the origins of the cold war and the development of the early cold war??:confused:
Original post by laura--louise
for part B and the beginning of the cold war isit the origins of the cold war and the development of the early cold war??:confused:

If you have the red edexcel text book the chapters are 2 & 3. How did the cold war develop? and Why did the cold war emerge?
Reply 39
Original post by Cast.Iron
This is absolute nonsense, sorry.

It's in the examiners report, candidates focus too much on the schools of thoughts argument and basically "replicate" the argument.

For example, saying that this is a triumphalist source so therefore it is in support of Reagan being the main reason for the end of the Cold War, Triumphalists originates from usually orthodox historians and members of the Reagan Administration, they are critical of Gorbachev and believe that Reagan pressured the USSR into bankruptcy and going on and on about it.

I'm terribly confused as one teacher is saying this and the other is saying "IF YOU DON'T MENTION HISTORIOGRAPHY IN THIS MUCH DETAIL YOU WON'T EVEN GET A D." it's like wtf. But my other teacher showed us the examiner report and it specifically said; "source work is based interpretation, not historiography."

I'm NOT saying don't mention historiography at all, I'm just saying be careful not to waffle on about it. You'll waste marks and you'll just be copying a textbook argument by going into the schools of thought which isn't what the exam is about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending