The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sausage1
Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Although how much harder is physics at A/S than GCSE?

Depends on the person. The jump is huge for most but I don't find it that hard.
Original post by cj_786
i heard chemistry at a-level is quite hard

The most valued subjects tend to be.
Reply 242
nuked
(edited 11 years ago)
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Latin.
Original post by gravitationalpull
TSR generally has a smarter population than average. Well that's what the grades people are expecting show. Overall, not many people take it however the number of students are increasing. You are doing the same combination as me :smile: Hi-5!

That's a slightly contentious comment!!Does the inclusive 'smart population' account only for people who have taken further maths?!
If I take English Literature for example does that not make me equally smart I wonder?
Reply 245
Original post by fletchdd02
How many aspirational medics do we have here then? :biggrin:

Me :smile:
Original post by GMD
well the head of maths at my school (Mr. Kim) is good friends with a professor johnston at some college in cambridge...maybe robinson but I'm not 100% sure. He happened to tell him about me, and Johnston somehow talked to Miren at ICL. Contacts I guess, but very lucky for me!

Contacts can do a lot for you ! :L
Reply 247
anyone else looking forward to studying maths?
well done 'Adam' ^_^ although i'm only aiming for an A. did you finish A2 as well?
Reply 248
Original post by danb_nhkn
Quite a few by the looks of it, me included :biggrin:

Bloody hell, a lot of competition then aye? :colone:

How are your GCSEs going?
Original post by Mirandaandcake
That's a slightly contentious comment!!Does the inclusive 'smart population' account only for people who have taken further maths?!
If I take English Literature for example does that not make me equally smart I wonder?

Didn't mean it that way. Most people who take Further Maths get A/A*'s at GCSE Maths. Therefore, they are considered 'smart'. I'm saying you will find more people taking Further Maths on TSR as generally more people get high grades in Maths here so they are more likely to take FMaths at A-Level. Taking English Literature is a bold move, I personally think it would be harder than Maths/perhaps F Maths too. It depends on the person.
Reply 250
Original post by Mr Young
Critical Thinking is not recognised/blacklisted as an A-Level. So if you want to get into a good Uni, try and pick a much more solid subject.

My school make everyone take either general studies or critical thinking . . . Believe me, I'm not doing it through choice. I'm hoping my other subjects will be "solid" enough for it not to matter too much, though.
graphic products, art and design, psychology and biology ---> i really want to do graphic design as a career... doubt anyone else in this thread has choices similar to mine! :biggrin:
English (Pre U), art, phycology, biology
Original post by tissue_26
Ah thanks for the info! I will definitely consider it :smile: did you do psychology?

Nope, but I am aware of 100% exam subjects, so I'd know that about Psychology!
Original post by HollyBumblebee
graphic products, art and design, psychology and biology ---> i really want to do graphic design as a career... doubt anyone else in this thread has choices similar to mine! :biggrin:

i am thinking about being one too, my brother is one!
Reply 255
Original post by KiwiBerry
My school make everyone take either general studies or critical thinking . . . Believe me, I'm not doing it through choice. I'm hoping my other subjects will be "solid" enough for it not to matter too much, though.

Maybe see if you can study a subject on your own and take the exam privately. Uni places are getting competitive and if you only have 3 "solid" A-Levels, you are at a very big disadvantage in my opinion. Your school shouldn't do that. It's unfair to pupils like you.
Original post by amcdschool
English (Pre U), art, phycology, biology

Interesting, Pre U? Is that something your school offers or is it private entry?
Original post by cj_786
im thinking of taking combination of maths and physics in uni,
im thinking of doing maths, further maths and physics
do i need another a-level?

No, unless you did particle physics; then chemistry would be useful.
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and either German or Economics
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Art :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest