The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllHv1
I've chosen:

Biology
Chemistry
Art
Maths
Further maths

I've always wanted to do veterinary science, so have chosen my ASs around this, however more recently I have began toying with the idea of a more design-related career, possibly architecture. :s-smilie:
These are all subjects I enjoy, although I feel quite sad to be dropping English and Latin, in a weird way :L

That's a really interesting combination but I think it's very appropriate for what you want to do :smile:. I know what you mean about Latin though, I'm taking it next year, love it!
Original post by fletchdd02
What subjects are you doing at A level?
How are the GCSEs going?

A Levels= Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics, CHemistry

GCSEs= okay, probably get 7A*s 3As or 6A*s and 4As (not that good, but I go to a crap state school)

Hoping to study at Cambridge,

How about you? Hows yours going?
English Lit, History, Maths and Economics...very excited :biggrin:
Original post by Mr Young
Maybe see if you can study a subject on your own and take the exam privately. Uni places are getting competitive and if you only have 3 "solid" A-Levels, you are at a very big disadvantage in my opinion. Your school shouldn't do that. It's unfair to pupils like you.

I don't think 3 A2's is a disadvantage. That is the requirement and it still remains so. Having less than 4 AS Levels may be a disadvantage though. 3 is fine as long as you do 4 AS.
Original post by KiwiBerry
My school make everyone take either general studies or critical thinking . . . Believe me, I'm not doing it through choice. I'm hoping my other subjects will be "solid" enough for it not to matter too much, though.

They can't 'make' you do anything at A level, it is all absolutely up to you. It is very bad that they do that - obviously an effort to up their score on league tables to increase A-C percentages with the less difficult subjects.

I strongly urge you to get your parents to complain/remove you from that class, get them to see your head of year.
Reply 265
Original post by scratcher

GCSEs= okay, probably get 7A*s 3As or 6A*s and 4As (not that good, but I go to a crap state school)

wow wow wow back it up a minute
and that's not good?!
Reply 266
Maths, Economics, Computing and History :biggrin:
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Economics.
Reply 268
Original post by gravitationalpull
I don't think 3 A2's is a disadvantage. That is the requirement and it still remains so. Having less than 4 AS Levels may be a disadvantage though. 3 is fine as long as you do 4 AS.

Aslong as he drops it in A2 then he should be fine yea. and if he gets very good grades in the 3 subjects such as A*,A*, A or something round that. yes he should be fine. I was just saying critical thinking is blacklisted from universities.
Original post by gravitationalpull
Didn't mean it that way. Most people who take Further Maths get A/A*'s at GCSE Maths. Therefore, they are considered 'smart'. I'm saying you will find more people taking Further Maths on TSR as generally more people get high grades in Maths here so they are more likely to take FMaths at A-Level. Taking English Literature is a bold move, I personally think it would be harder than Maths/perhaps F Maths too. It depends on the person.

Of course- different types of intelligence!! :smile: Definitely depends on the person as I will be happy with a B in maths and I will never have to do it but I find Literature comes naturally to me. Bold move!!! FMaths is a bold move! Anyway I'm hoping to read at Uni English or Law so English Lit makes sense :smile:
Maths (Maybe)
Geography
Economics
Politics
Reply 271
Original post by AspiringDoctor
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and either German or Economics

Go for German, even if you drop it at A2 knowing another language is always helpful :smile:

6-7A* is good enough for Cambridge. Stop complaining how it's not that good. Good luck for Cambridge
Reply 273
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography (:
Reply 274

Yeah, I might be doing the same combination as you, though maybe not further maths :smile:
Reply 275
Like the majority of TSR (in terms of maths, economics etc.), I'm taking...

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
German
Music

:biggrin:
Original post by Sagacious
No, unless you did particle physics; then chemistry would be useful.

True. Thanks for informing :colone:
Original post by amcdschool
i am thinking about being one too, my brother is one!

oh awesome! i just want to do something i really enjoy and go to Falmouth uni, nice to meet someone else who wants to do a similar thing to me :tongue:
Reply 278
AQA bacc with Maths, Economics, German, Critical thinking and Law.
Might swap Law with Classical civilization though, not sure.
Original post by Mirandaandcake
Of course- different types of intelligence!! :smile: Definitely depends on the person as I will be happy with a B in maths and I will never have to do it but I find Literature comes naturally to me. Bold move!!! FMaths is a bold move! Anyway I'm hoping to read at Uni English or Law so English Lit makes sense :smile:

Good luck! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest