The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by marrythenight
You never know, your feelings might change by the end of A2, so maybe include at least one London choice? There are some very good law schools in London.

Most people who go to London to study are not originally from London. Many are from small villages in the English countryside and actually they really enjoy the 'culture shock' and being in a very exciting place. It's also very convenient to attend lots of law firm open days and be able to get home after them in half an hour. I've been attending quite a lot lately and it really helps living here.

It might seem daunting, but you do honestly get used to London and the madness of it doesn't phase you after the first week or so. It would be a grave opportunity to discard, I definitely think you should give places like LSE, UCL, King's a shot! I couldn't recommend it enough!

That's a good point, I probably shouldn't immediately dismiss them. It just seems such a scary thought to be going off to live on my own straight in to London! Although like you said, it could be a good change, I might like it! I will look in to them more and see how I feel. That was one thing I thought would be good, being so close to all the law firms there. I will look in to it more :yep:
Hi all! Am an international student applying for law as well in 2012. Choices are cambridge, ucl, kcl, bristol and nottingham.
Original post by freezingsaphire
Hi all! Am an international student applying for law as well in 2012. Choices are cambridge, ucl, kcl, bristol and nottingham.

Come to KCL. It's so international, I love it. From which country are you?

edit: negged?! Why?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Can anyone recommend interesting law books that I could lend for the library? I'm still deciding whether I want to do law or English, and I would really appreciate some books to read that would help me decide if law interests me. Thanks :smile:
Original post by digestives
Can anyone recommend interesting law books that I could lend for the library? I'm still deciding whether I want to do law or English, and I would really appreciate some books to read that would help me decide if law interests me. Thanks :smile:

The two I have read are:

Letters to a Law Student - Nicholas J. McBride
The Law Machine - Marcel Berlins and Clare Dyer

Also a good Law-related book:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (not necessarily as informative as the other two, in fact nowhere near, but it combines the Literature side with the Law and they say if you are to do Law you have to read it, supposedly - fantastic book nonetheless.)

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
The two I have read are:

Letters to a Law Student - Nicholas J. McBride
The Law Machine - Marcel Berlins and Clare Dyer

Also a good Law-related book:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (not necessarily as informative as the other two, in fact nowhere near, but it combines the Literature side with the Law and they say if you are to do Law you have to read it, supposedly - fantastic book nonetheless.)

Hope this helps :smile:

I can too recommend "Letter to a Law Student". It's a greatly informative book about undergraduate law school.

As for "To Kill a Mockingbird" I'm actually just reading that :biggrin: Half-way through now and enjoying it so far.

If you might like to become a Barrister, I can also recommend "Bewigged and Bewildered" - Adam Kramer. Also, my new book arrived last week and I look forward to reading it, though, it's quite a large book - "The English Legal System" - Gary Slapper and David Kelly.

Adam.
Reply 86
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
Basically I created this thread so Law applicants for 2012 entry can discuss various open days, AS exams and results and any general topics of discussion.
For example, so far I have been to Warwick and Queen Mary open days. Out of personal preference I really liked Warwick and could easily see myself there, but I was put off Queen Mary due to the A*AA requirements, whereas I could apply to somewhere like Warwick for AAAc or Bristol for AAA+LNAT.

Foolishly, I also forgot to add where I plan to apply:-
Bristol
Warwick
Exeter
Newcastle
Sussex

Just for clarification does QM university now expect an A*AA for their law course?
Reply 87
Original post by madrid90
Just for clarification does QM university now expect an A*AA for their law course?

Yup.
Reply 88
I've applied for law at LJMU FOR 2012 I hopefully find out this week if I've got in. fingers crossed.:smile::smile:

This is due to I applied in the 2011 system and deffered my place. Fingers crossed i'll find out soon :smile::wink:
Getting stressed about my personal statement already. It's one of those things i (stupidly) thought would be easy but when it comes to writing a first draft i don't know where to start. argh! Anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 90
Original post by don'tyouremember?
Getting stressed about my personal statement already. It's one of those things i (stupidly) thought would be easy but when it comes to writing a first draft i don't know where to start. argh! Anyone else in the same boat?

Too early to be stressing over that :yep:
Original post by Junaid16
Too early to be stressing over that :yep:

Yeah, you're right but my school seems to think we should do it NOW! Slightly ridiculous considering we still have months but oh well.
Yeah, you're right but my school seems to think we should do it NOW! Slightly ridiculous considering we still have months but oh well.

In the same boat. I hate doing what seems like bragging about myself and my school keep saying you need a witty, thought-provoking starter that will capture the admission tutors attention. I don't even know where to start.

My school seem to be going around trying to panic people into getting their personal statement started early... It's a phenomenal approach and introduction to UCAS right enough :wink:
Original post by BritainPersonified
In the same boat. I hate doing what seems like bragging about myself and my school keep saying you need a witty, thought-provoking starter that will capture the admission tutors attention. I don't even know where to start.

My school seem to be going around trying to panic people into getting their personal statement started early... It's a phenomenal approach and introduction to UCAS right enough :wink:

Agreed! I have a Careers lessons tomorrow which will be a world of fun.
Agreed! I have a Careers lessons tomorrow which will be a world of fun.

Thankfully because I'm a Scot and finish next week, I only have one more Social Education lesson left. All of my teachers have started saying things like 'This year is not only important due to the advent of your UCAS forms, but also because we write your references.' Ah :redface: The Blackmail starts early :P

Yep! Sounds familiar. I'm trying to get a first draft together now. For months i've been jotting down ideas and phrases that really portray my passion for law.

I want to get my first draft together in the next fortnight.
Original post by admbeatmaker
Yep! Sounds familiar. I'm trying to get a first draft together now. For months i've been jotting down ideas and phrases that really portray my passion for law.

I want to get my first draft together in the next fortnight.

For careers we had to come up with a few ideas for opening lines and my teacher was like 'that's boring' 'that's rubbish' etc. back to the drawing board! I'm actually having second thoughts about law anyway, i don't know if my grades are going to be good enough to get into a uni i would be happy going to.
For careers we had to come up with a few ideas for opening lines and my teacher was like 'that's boring' 'that's rubbish' etc. back to the drawing board! I'm actually having second thoughts about law anyway, i don't know if my grades are going to be good enough to get into a uni i would be happy going to.

Your teacher doesn't sound very encouraging :confused: I'd have thought your teacher would guide you in a good direction, helping you nurture your ideas.

If you're not sure about law, i'd definitely consider looking at careers that are suited to your skills. If you still want to do law, it's imperative to go to a good university for law with the amount of law graduates in the market.

See, my careers teacher (the Scottish name for them is a Guidance Teacher so sorry if I slip into calling her that) is taking the opposite tactic of being really airy and not there when you need her. You ask her something like to what extent should I talk about my extra-curriculars and if I should focus primarily on the ones that could relate to law and do a sentence on the others or give equal focus on each item and you get 'yes, yes, mmh sounds good.' It's pretty useless at the moment, considering Guidance Councillors are the people trying to panic us into writing our statements.

Aw well, I'm beginning to get rather enthusiastic. I was at the Universities of Edinburgh's Open Day today. I never saw myself going to Edinburgh for numerous reasons like I live just outside Edinburgh and so would've had to stay at home and the buildings I had been to were aesthetically disgusting on the outside but christ, was I wrong. The law buildings, though there are building works going on in the central courtyard, are worthy of awe, as is the Library. It really got me excited and I'm hoping that the other universities I visit captivate me as much.
Reply 99
Just started looking at Unis not really too sure yet though.
My GCSE grades are poor 2 A's 4 B's 2 C's, A diploma in digital application at merit (worth 4 GCSE's) and a BTECH National in Drama at Merit.
AS subjects are History, Law, Eng Lang and Psychology
Aiming for AAB at A level.

Despite fairly average academics my extra curicular is not to shabby;
President of the SU
DofE
Head Barrister in the Junior Bar competition

What do you guys reckon would be good uni wise? and any suggested reading you have undertaken. Im swaying towards a HumanRights road and am in the process of reading Michael Mansfords Autiobiography.

Quick Reply

Latest