The Student Room Group

Which Uni with these grades??

Hey, just wondering my possibilities for uni.

my grades are:

A2
English - A
History - A
Economics - B

AS
Same as above with a B in psychology.

I would ideally like to study history or law.

Would these grades get me into Edinburgh for example as I have looked there?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It does kinda say on their website if you bothered to check.
(edited 12 years ago)
You could get into London Met with those, try there.
Reply 3
QMUL?
Reply 4
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
You could get into London Met with those, try there.

You could get into Bolton with those, try there.
I'm not sure about History, but for law AAB will, if you're very lucky, get you into places like UEA, Keele, Brunel, City, Essex, Reading, etc.

You probably won't be able to get into the likes of Bristol and Edinburgh.

I'm sure history is a bit less competitive, though.
Google > X University > Undergraduate courses > History > Entry requirements > Undergraduate courses > Law > Entry requirements

Repeat for many universities.

Research :king1:
Reply 7
Original post by paddy__power
Google > X University > Undergraduate courses > History > Entry requirements > Undergraduate courses > Law > Entry requirements

Repeat for many universities.

you seem to think i have researched? most universities give minimum required grades which do not in any way act as a guideline for the offers they give. most courses at edinburgh say a minimum of BBB, but even you should realise that to apply with BBB for edinburgh would be fruitless..
If you want to go to good unis, apply for history - it's less competitive. Not significantly, but several top 20/Russell Group/1994 Group unis accept AAB for history. Then if you decide you want to do Law, do a cheeky conversion course at the end of it :smile:
Reply 9
To be honest, even History is more competitive than you would think! I needed to apply for AAB courses as insurance this year and they were really difficult to find! I know they do AAB at Leicester, UEA, Warwick (but only if you have a language at GCSE, and even those requirements may have gone up this year) and a few other places, but generally, they either ask AAA at the 'prestigious' Universities, or ABB/BBB 'everywhere else', there doesn't really seem to be a middle ground. Hope this helped!
Reply 10
No, I think you haven't researched - certainly not very well and this is a reasonable inference from your reply.

Yes, Edinburgh is alone in this being so strongly the case.

They don't give minimum required grades (although this is often, in reality, what they are) and what they state is very much an indication of the kind of offer they will give you. I suggest you hold the attitude if you're going to make fatuous claims based on the application of a principle you've decided applies from one example.

"Even me"

:rolleyes:

If your question was solely about Edinburgh then fine, you're correct to ask - you could have made this somewhat clearer though.

hah. i think a little less condescension would work both ways. seeing as you seem to have a good grasp of uni's in general; what is your take on edinburgh? do I have a shot with AAB?
Original post by strider
hah. i think a little less condescension would work both ways. seeing as you seem to have a good grasp of uni's in general; what is your take on edinburgh? do I have a shot with AAB?

I deleted my message just now as I didn't think it served a useful purpose but obviously you were already replying to it :tongue:

A fair point.

You stand a chance (I know people who've been admitted with those grades). How much of a chance is another matter. I will quote someone in who will be able to help you much more than I can here :smile:

oxymoronic
Reply 12
I deleted my message just now as I didn't think it served a useful purpose but obviously you were already replying to it :tongue:

A fair point.

You stand a chance (I know people who've been admitted with those grades). How much of a chance is another matter. I will quote someone in who will be able to help you much more than I can here :smile:

thanks. shall i contact him directly? or will he get a notification pointing him towards this thread now youve mentioned him?
Original post by strider
thanks. shall i contact him directly? or will he get a notification pointing him towards this thread now youve mentioned him?

It's a her, and she will find her way here when she's online I'm sure :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Wedgely

Original post by Wedgely
To be honest, even History is more competitive than you would think! I needed to apply for AAB courses as insurance this year and they were really difficult to find! I know they do AAB at Leicester, UEA, Warwick (but only if you have a language at GCSE, and even those requirements may have gone up this year) and a few other places, but generally, they either ask AAA at the 'prestigious' Universities, or ABB/BBB 'everywhere else', there doesn't really seem to be a middle ground. Hope this helped!

Lancaster is fab for history however & that's ABB offers, because its gone shooting up the league tables you would expect it to put its offers higher. however, it hasn't & it's one of the best places to get a history degree :smile:
Original post by strider

Original post by strider

Hi,

(I'm one of the UCAS mods and I'm also an Edinburgh graduate so did a fair bit of work in admissions/student recruitment when I was a student, which is why I've been sent this way)

Basically, Edinburgh expect AAA or higher to be in with a chance of being considered unless there are any extenuating circumstances surrounding the grades, such as illness or going to a poorly performing school meaning your AAB were actually the only A/B grades in the school. If you do have extenuating circumstances, then they will consider you with BBB or higher (which are the minimum entry requirements) but for the vast vast majority of applicants they want AAA or higher to be considered. Even then having AAA or higher does not mean you'll be accepted, it just means they'll look at your application further, then around 15% of these people will get an offer for history and/or law.... meaning the majority of applicants are rejected despite having way above the minimum entry requirements. Edinburgh place a HUGE emphasis on the PS, meaning a lot of people who have an average PS but perform well at interview and get into Oxbridge will not get into Edinburgh as the admission criteria is different. On the other end of the scale, some people are admitted without having AAA due to their educational history. I am one of those people - I got ABBB at AS and AAB at A2.... but I was one of the odd balls at Edinburgh as I didn't have straight As, because most people do.

So, with AAB I'd say your chances are very very very slim unless you do have extenuating circumstances. Edinburgh say on their website they expect AAA or higher for these high demand courses and they have more than enough candidates to consider without dropping below this level. History and law are some of the most competitive courses in the university.

For Edinburgh, you also need a C or above at GCSE in a language other than English. If you don't have this, regardless of your number of As at A level, you won't get an offer. For law, you need A level English for entry but you've got that one covered.
Reply 16
Original post by oxymoronic

Original post by oxymoronic
Hi,

(I'm one of the UCAS mods and I'm also an Edinburgh graduate so did a fair bit of work in admissions/student recruitment when I was a student, which is why I've been sent this way)

Basically, Edinburgh expect AAA or higher to be in with a chance of being considered unless there are any extenuating circumstances surrounding the grades, such as illness or going to a poorly performing school meaning your AAB were actually the only A/B grades in the school. If you do have extenuating circumstances, then they will consider you with BBB or higher (which are the minimum entry requirements) but for the vast vast majority of applicants they want AAA or higher to be considered. Even then having AAA or higher does not mean you'll be accepted, it just means they'll look at your application further, then around 15% of these people will get an offer for history and/or law.... meaning the majority of applicants are rejected despite having way above the minimum entry requirements. Edinburgh place a HUGE emphasis on the PS, meaning a lot of people who have an average PS but perform well at interview and get into Oxbridge will not get into Edinburgh as the admission criteria is different. On the other end of the scale, some people are admitted without having AAA due to their educational history. I am one of those people - I got ABBB at AS and AAB at A2.... but I was one of the odd balls at Edinburgh as I didn't have straight As, because most people do.

So, with AAB I'd say your chances are very very very slim unless you do have extenuating circumstances. Edinburgh say on their website they expect AAA or higher for these high demand courses and they have more than enough candidates to consider without dropping below this level. History and law are some of the most competitive courses in the university.

For Edinburgh, you also need a C or above at GCSE in a language other than English. If you don't have this, regardless of your number of As at A level, you won't get an offer. For law, you need A level English for entry but you've got that one covered.

Hello there

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for so thank you very much. However, if you dont mind i have a few more queries that i would very much like your advice on.

Currently i am sitting my A2's. However, i have missed two exams due to illness - English and Economics Unit 3.
My english AS result mean that i should get a predicted A and if ive down well enough with my history exam i should also get an A.

That leaves me with economics. at AS i received a B. I have the Unit 4 next week. I have also resat one of the AS units last month. Depending on these results and the predicted mark I will receive for my unit 3 i could get an A. More likely, however, i will get a highish B.

Would Edinburgh consider these extenuating circumstances? enough so that I would likely be given an offer?

and

As Edinburgh dont seem to accept second sittings, do you think I may be allowed an exception for the Economics exam I missed?

I would really appreciate your advice as missing these exams has got me a little panicked... sorry if I havent made it very clear

thanks
Original post by strider
My question is: what grades will I need to get into Edinburgh reading History?

I know it says BBB on the website, but apparently this is b******t. Realistically what would I need?

Thanks

Ideally you want to be around the AAB-AAA mark to standa good chance of getting an offer.
Reply 18
Original post by strider

my grades are:

A2
English - A
History - A
Economics - B

AS

Thanks

Those are pretty good grades so you've got a large range of choices available to you. You can go on the UCAS website or you can go on individual university websites and look at the entry requirements for the course that you're interested in. It's quite easy to navigate round.
Original post by strider

my grades are:

A2
English - A
History - A
Economics - B

AS

Thanks

you've got a really good chance of getting into both but everywhere seems to want a stars this year are you going to apply next year or this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending