The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

did the cycle question but i only wrote about Krebs, Calvin, Cardiac and some muscle-y thingy about the myosin head..... im just not a very quick writer tho :/ especially when it comes to essays!! :frown: did anyone do the other question?
And that was so mach harder than the June 2010 paper!
I did cycles essay, got 6 cycles:

Krebs,
Calvin,
Nitrogen,
Carbon,
Cell,
Menstrual.
Original post by M | k e
Wonder if first question threw anyone with it being RNA instead of DNA.
The 2 fragments were Phosphate and Ribose, but alot of people I know just put sugar, wonder if they'll accept it :tongue:

Ribose!!!
:facepalm:
I put sugar
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JONNYCMW
I loved this exam! what a broad essay title! and the questions were very related to the spec and past papers. it was a beaut

I wasn't expecting so much synoptic stuff in the actual questions and there to be almost nothing on responses and action potentials!
Reply 2445
Original post by *QueenBeee
found this solid
I cant believe it in comparison to june 2010, which i thought was a fairly decent paper I thought this one was horrible!!
I just pray grade boundarise are super low - no one has said it was easy
IN june 2010 the grade boundaries were as follows:
A*- 69
A - 62
B - 55
C - 49
D - 43
E - 37

This year I reckon
A* - 64
A - 57
B - 50
C- 44
D - 38
E - 32
anyone agree?? too harsh?? to nice ????? xxx

People seem to have found the paper itself harder than last year, but the essay easier. The essay is a biggg chunk of it really. I wouldn't be surprised to see it about the same. Could be wrong though :tongue:
Original post by NRican
Anyone else find the exam harder than June 10?

I dont even think they should be compared - completely different league!! June 2010 was alot off application, this paper was full of graphs and hsw!! grrrrrrrrr what do you think grade boundaries are gonna be like??
Reply 2447
I didn't try any of the maths ones, thats about 5 marks down the drain. Missed out about 5 questions, 20 marks down the drain.

Ill just have to hope the few i answered were right.

I need an A in this exam, if grade boundaries are as low as they were last year, im in with a small shout, otherwie, goodbye uni :tongue:
Reply 2448
screw this, imma be an air stewardess instead.

okay not really but yea AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOODBYE A AND POSSIBLY A B IN BIOLOGY :frown:
Original post by Orihime
Question 2: What does "very large" represent?

Answer????/

Lol I didnt understand that at all!
Reply 2450
loved the cycles essay! i predicted it would come up and did practice essay on it before hand (i think im psychic)
also it was 80 0 0 for the % question cus it was only asking about nervous stimulation and at 1 it was 8 units whilst at 1 hormones was 2 units.. therefore 80%! at 2 and 3 hours nervous stimulation didnt affect it at all!
and 5:1 for ratio i think is right too! messed up all the pupa questions or whatever they were :P
Reply 2451
Original post by Orihime
Question 2: What does "very large" represent?

Answer????/

Lol seemed such a stupid question I didn't really know what it was asking for. I just said something like "The rest of the plasmid and unknown DNA" :s-smilie:
Reply 2452
I hated question 9 :/ missed 3 2 mark questions out cos I was rushed for time to complete the essay, so I didn't complete the paper. Found it harder than June but that's partly because there was so much DNA technology in there. I spent ages revising nerve impulses and muscle contraction but there were no questions on it. I wish I spent half as much time on DNA tech than I did for nerve impulses and muscle contraction :mad:
Thought the essay was brilliant - did the use of DNA question. The other questions were difficult, but I hope I've done enough for a B/C.

My tactic was to do the essay first, to get that out of the way. Ended up answering all of them bar one 1 marker.
Original post by M | k e
Cut it twice? :P

O whole
(_) one cut
( ) 2 cuts?

So yeah it showed the plasmid would be cut once leaving (_) so if 2 fragments were produced, the unknown DNA must have contained the recognition sequence for the restriction enzyme to cut again, hence ( ) formed.

Yeah but the question said it was cut once?
Im confused :frown:

Tell me you put 2 in the answer for number of cuts or something :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by cheekymon999
Did nobody do the DNA essay? i thought that was a beaut! made up for the stupid questions on this essay that hardly related to this unit!

I did and alomst everyone I know. I got a bit confused on the whole 'use' part though, did it want you to explain how the process worked or how the process could be applied or both?
Original post by woods.vanessa

Original post by woods.vanessa
Lol I didnt understand that at all!

Me neither :frown:
i put that the large fragment represented most of the unknown dna and most of the plasmid.. very scientific..
Reply 2458
Well revising the first section of this unit was a complete waste of time why didnt they just say this year were gonna comeplete ignore a whole section of the syllabus so dont bother learning it!!
What a weird, weird paper.

What was the point of learning so much, when really they weren't going to test us on any of it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending