The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

my er..friend (possible the same one as Ewannabie's) just looked up how much it would cost for insurance if he said he was a pizza boy.
£9686 TPO
and with everything else the same, as a student 292 tpft, unemployed bum 292 TPFT, or teachers assistant (as he is on sundays) 292TPFT

bummer :frown:
do i does he get a different job, or not tell insurance.
Original post by MHorman
God that video is terrible...

If anyone here buys MCN still maybe the article/story that will be written about it will be a lot better?

I've read it, it's not

Original post by Nice'n'Easy
At some point, yes thank you! Not sure about meeting up with a random person :hmmm: but thats a very kind offer!
(I'll have enough time on my hands over summer!!)

I know I'm just a random internet person too, but she's a lovely person, a good rider and would hopefully put your mind at ease.

Original post by JC.
'fraid I disagree.
You take a massive risk every time you go out that someone isn't going to take you out because they don't see you / can't be arsed to look for you.

But that's the world we live in and that's the risk we accept we have to take.

I agree that motorcycles are inherently more risky, but I believe that by accepting that risk and playing to a motorcycle's strengths you can be just as safe as a car driver. Cyclists are at more risks than motorcyclists :wink:

Original post by Boristhethird
my er..friend (possible the same one as Ewannabie's) just looked up how much it would cost for insurance if he said he was a pizza boy.
£9686 TPO
and with everything else the same, as a student 292 tpft, unemployed bum 292 TPFT, or teachers assistant (as he is on sundays) 292TPFT

bummer :frown:
do i does he get a different job, or not tell insurance.

Tell the insurance you have a similar, but different job "waiter?" Also, make sure you don't say your going to be using your vehicle for work, only "social, domestic and commuting to a a place of.." maybe even not the commuting!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chilledice

I know I'm just a random internet person too, but she's a lovely person, a good rider and would hopefully put your mind at ease.

Thank you - definitely going to have to accept at some point; would like to enjoy the experience! Generous offer! :smile:
Reply 103
How are we going? This is moving tooooo quick to keep up with, so dont expect me to read much beyond the previous page. I noticed Lantana quoted me about not bugging her... quite why im not sure, I dont bug her? Maybe she wants to be bugged? (substitute bugged for a similar sounding word with slightly more letters :wink: ) Anywhoooo in typical fashion.......

Spoiler

Does that Nice and Easy bird want taking for a good ride? Their my favourite type of female biker. Or type of female in general really.......
Reply 104
Original post by laser3000
A bit pedantic tbh, I think he means riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car, and the figures back that up. You can't argue; you are more likely to die or be seriously injured riding a motorcycle. Police motorcycle handbook says one of the reasons motorcycles are more likely to be killed or injured is dismissal of risk.

Skill might be part of it, but if you make a minor mistake in a car the airbag goes off and the seatbelt pulls you back, on a bike it is much more serious.

Your more likely to die riding a ****ing horse than a motorbike - in terms of miles covered. I dont see people preaching to horse riders........

There is nothing inherently dangerous about a bike, and they can be ridden very safely and sensibly. They can also be taken beyond the limits of what is safe on the road and then people blame the bike when you end up in a tree. The throttle goes both ways, and it wont do it by itself.

Tell the insurance you have a similar, but different job "waiter?" Also, make sure you don't say your going to be using your vehicle for work, only "social, domestic and commuting to a a place of.." maybe even not the commuting!

ive made sure its social domestic and commuting, cant really see the point of saying waiter TBH, its still not my job :frown:

Original post by Riderz
How are we going? This is moving tooooo quick to keep up with, so dont expect me to read much beyond the previous page. I noticed Lantana quoted me about not bugging her... quite why im not sure, I dont bug her? Maybe she wants to be bugged? (substitute bugged for a similar sounding word with slightly more letters :wink: ) Anywhoooo in typical fashion.......

Spoiler

Does that Nice and Easy bird want taking for a good ride? Their my favourite type of female biker. Or type of female in general really.......

you know that will only come up once on her home page.
you need to do it in seperate posts to bug her more (or even different threads :teehee: )
Reply 106
Original post by Riderz

Spoiler

We're not going that fast for us!

She meant in terms of, you are mine and her's play thing, don't get withdrawal symptoms from her.

you just want something easy that'll involve little effort and can be disposed of afterwards!
Reply 107

I agree that motorcycles are inherently more risky, but I believe that by accepting that risk and playing to a motorcycle's strengths you can be just as safe as a car driver. Cyclists are at more risks than motorcyclists :wink:

What strengths?
When such a tiny proportion of the countrys motorists are involved in such a large proportion of the accidents, the odds clearly aint stacked in our favor when we go out on a bike.

When I was on my CBT some prick in a Vectra pulled out on me.
I was the last of 3 bikes on the road and he was pulling out of a tiny housing estate. He looked at me wearing my bright yellow CBT vest, pulled out into the middle of the road and stopped. I had to do an emergency stop to avoid T-boning him. He just stared at me. I put the bike into neutral and just clapped.
He then ****ed off and overtook my other half (also on her CBT) and the instructor around a blind bend. Real quality driving there!

And my other half wonders why I'm really not that arsed about picking up the suzuki tommorow... :rolleyes:

We ride bikes because we want to. We know that there are risks and we take them on board and accept the consequences of our choices.

Are bikes dangerous? Absolutely. Does it stop us from using them? Nope!

-JC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
(edited 12 years ago)
That is probably the funniest video i have seen in months...

Sat here laughing out loud at my computer screen like a maniac...
Original post by JC.
What strengths?
When such a tiny proportion of the countrys motorists are involved in such a large proportion of the accidents, the odds clearly aint stacked in our favor when we go out on a bike.

When I was on my CBT some prick in a Vectra pulled out on me.
I was the last of 3 bikes on the road and he was pulling out of a tiny housing estate. He looked at me wearing my bright yellow CBT vest, pulled out into the middle of the road and stopped. I had to do an emergency stop to avoid T-boning him. He just stared at me. I put the bike into neutral and just clapped.
He then ****ed off and overtook my other half (also on her CBT) and the instructor around a blind bend. Real quality driving there!

And my other half wonders why I'm really not that arsed about picking up the suzuki tommorow... :rolleyes:

We ride bikes because we want to. We know that there are risks and we take them on board and accept the consequences of our choices.

Are bikes dangerous? Absolutely. Does it stop us from using them? Nope!

-JC.

Strengths are being able to see better, being able to position yourself around the road, greater acceleration and maneuverability as well as just generally being the superior race! :wink:

Take the traditional example that you gave -someone pulling out in front of you- they didn't come from no where, with good positioning, awareness and speed you would have seen that car, made yourself known to it and prevented it ever being a problem. IAM and ROSPA teach to ride like this... I honestly think it works! Cars do have their advantages, but a well ridden bike can make a lot more progress (or be a lot more safe) than a good car driver.

And you keep quoting some statistics, but I don't know which it is you're referring to.. I do remember there was a US study that showed hideous numbers of motorcycle fatalaties, but 90% of them involved alcohol and/or not wearing a helmet.

You are right in saying that bikers all have accidents, there's the saying "there are two types of bikers, those who have had an accident and those that are going to" but that doesn't mean it has to be a fatal or even serious accident, most of us here have just been a bit too enthusiastic and chucked ourselves into a bush, it happens! But that isn't to say that because we have these mistakes motorcycling is dangerous.

Tl;Dr: I admit if someone said to me "crash head on into a wall on a bike or a car?" I'd choose the car, but if someone asked me which I'd rather do 10,000 miles in and feel the safest?..

Well, maybe I'm just biased

Well, I laughed
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 111
Strengths are being able to see better, being able to position yourself around the road, greater acceleration and maneuverability as well as just generally being the superior race! :wink:

Take the traditional example that you gave -someone pulling out in front of you- they didn't come from no where, with good positioning, awareness and speed you would have seen that car, made yourself known to it and prevented it ever being a problem. IAM and ROSPA teach to ride like this... I honestly think it works! Cars do have their advantages, but a well ridden bike can make a lot more progress (or be a lot more safe) than a good car driver.

And you keep quoting some statistics, but I don't know which it is you're referring to.. I do remember there was a US study that showed hideous numbers of motorcycle fatalaties, but 90% of them involved alcohol and/or not wearing a helmet.

You are right in saying that bikers all have accidents, there's the saying "there are two types of bikers, those who have had an accident and those that are going to" but that doesn't mean it has to be a fatal or even serious accident, most of us here have just been a bit too enthusiastic and chucked ourselves into a bush, it happens! But that isn't to say that because we have these mistakes motorcycling is dangerous.

Tl;Dr: I admit if someone said to me "crash head on into a wall on a bike or a car?" I'd choose the car, but if someone asked me which I'd rather do 10,000 miles in and feel the safest?..

Well, maybe I'm just biased

Your bias aside, car drivers just don't see you until the last minute just like you don't see the flies that bounce off your visor.

Take the prat that pulled out infront of me. He really did just pull out. Infact he was looking at me when he did it. I was in the middle of the road in a bright yellow vest on a bright red bike. He saw me, he just decided to be a ****.
There are people like that out there who just want to mess with you for ****s and giggles.

I'm not knocking biking - I wouldn't be spending money on it if I thought it was crap now would I! I do think it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security, though.

As for 10k miles car or bike? As much as I really fancy a Harley sportster, If I could only have 1 vehicle it'd be my '75 MGB GT Factory V8. As nice as a V twin sounds, you just can't beat a V8 for me!
I can be bias too. :wink:

Well, I laughed

Much better with Benny Hill. Saw Boris had posted it on FB earlier and laughed at it then but this one's better.
Original post by JC.
Your bias aside, car drivers just don't see you until the last minute just like you don't see the flies that bounce off your visor.

Take the prat that pulled out infront of me. He really did just pull out. Infact he was looking at me when he did it. I was in the middle of the road in a bright yellow vest on a bright red bike. He saw me, he just decided to be a ****.
There are people like that out there who just want to mess with you for ****s and giggles.

I'm not knocking biking - I wouldn't be spending money on it if I thought it was crap now would I! I do think it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security, though.

As for 10k miles car or bike? As much as I really fancy a Harley sportster, If I could only have 1 vehicle it'd be my '75 MGB GT Factory V8. As nice as a V twin sounds, you just can't beat a V8 for me!
I can be bias too. :wink:

I don't know if everyone else here will back me up (I hope they'll join the discussion, it's nice to have a chat about this) but in that situation you can get an instinct of when people have or haven't seen you.

It's like when you are waiting at a junction and you see a car coming along with it's left indicator on, a new road-user may pull out, a more experienced one would think that they're going too fast and wait for the car to pass you. The same applies to this, the body language of the driver, the type of car, everything gives you an idea of what will happen.

I know whenever I see a car waiting to pull out my thumb is on the horn, I'm rolling off the gas and I'm waiting to see the wheels move, if they do you hold the horn down for as long as it takes for them to stop. Of course, it depends on how close you are, if you're a few meters away you should really just stop/go round them into the oncoming lane if it's clear... What I'm trying to say is that with enough planning and experience you can overcome the majority of things that are thrown at you.

Car drivers that are trying to mess with you by getting too close? Pull over and wave them by! There is honestly a good way to deal stuff on a bike :smile:

I wouldn't do it on a harley, I'm not a cruiser guy, I'd do it on some sort of adventure bike, maybe even my little BMW. I was silly to ride it unrestricted, I'm going to miss the full-fat of 45bhp! :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114

Well, I laughed

Brilliant

I don't know if everyone else here will back me up, but in that situation you can tell when people have or haven't seen you, I know whenever I see a car waiting to pull out my thumb is on the horn, I'm rolling off the gas and I'm waiting to see the wheels move, if they do you hold the horn down for as long as it takes for them to stop. Of course, it depends on how close you are, if you're a few meters away you should really just stop/go round them into the oncoming lane if it's clear... What I'm trying to say is that with enough planning and experience you can overcome the majority of things that are thrown at you.

Car drivers that are trying to mess with you by getting too close? Pull over and wave them by! There is honestly a good way to deal stuff on a bike :smile:

Waving them by is a good idea.

Rolling off, moving out to the far side of the lane, checking mirrors, thumb on horn, look to see if they make and hold eye contact. And when they move, clutch in and red line it (works with mine anyway)
I don't know if everyone else here will back me up (I hope they'll join the discussion, it's nice to have a chat about this) but in that situation you can get an instinct of when people have or haven't seen you.

It's like when you are waiting at a junction and you see a car coming along with it's left indicator on, a new road-user may pull out, a more experienced one would think that they're going too fast and wait for the car to pass you. The same applies to this, the body language of the driver, the type of car, everything gives you an idea of what will happen.

I know whenever I see a car waiting to pull out my thumb is on the horn, I'm rolling off the gas and I'm waiting to see the wheels move, if they do you hold the horn down for as long as it takes for them to stop. Of course, it depends on how close you are, if you're a few meters away you should really just stop/go round them into the oncoming lane if it's clear... What I'm trying to say is that with enough planning and experience you can overcome the majority of things that are thrown at you.

I wouldn't do it on a harley, I'm not a cruiser guy, I'd do it on some sort of adventure bike, maybe even my little BMW. I was silly to ride it unrestricted, I'm going to miss the full-fat of 45bhp! :P

id agree with Ewan here, when i first started riding i seem to remember everyone was pulling out on me, and now they are not.
i certainly think it was my riding has improved, and i can anticipate their actions, and plan on it.
while on this note, my instructor for my CBT told me some hand advice, for every junction you approach, cancel your indicators and cover your horn. that way you know you haven't left your indicators on, and your ready to beep when an idiot pulls out.
Reply 116
I've never once heard a bike hit the horn?
Original post by JC.

Use it; in fact, never take your thumb off of the horn, I can bet you won't have someone pull out infront of you!
Reply 118
Original post by JC.

see how loud it is, if its not loud enough, replace it.
Original post by JC.

and check it relyably works

my horn has saved me countless times (oh how i long for loud pipes)

Latest