The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Lucy Cavendish College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm starting at Lucy in October and I am really excited! :smile: I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the accommodation is like (how big are the rooms, are some en suite? etc) and the average price as I can't find that out on the website. Thanks :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
Original post by Seham
Hi,

I'm starting at Lucy in October and I am really excited! :smile: I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the accommodation is like (how big are the rooms, are some en suite? etc) and the average price as I can't find that out on the website. Thanks :smile:

Hi :wink:.

I haven't got any 'hands-on' information concerning accommodation at Lucy (I was pooled there, all I know about the college is on the website hidden somewhere - blue book, room ballot information).
It seems that we have a choice of en-suite rooms (De Brye, Bertram, Warburton Hall) - for about £1,076 per term. Rooms look nice but seem 'small' though ('small' by Cambridge standard, but quite large when compared to dorms at other unis). For £1,076 we also get very large rooms in Straithard and Barrmore (with shared bathroom facilities). Band B rooms (£955 per term) are either those of standard size in older buildings (shared facilities) or sets in Oldham Hall (you share a bathroom and a kitchen with another standard-size, single room). Band C rooms (£836) are mainly offsite.
You can check everything out for yourself here and here and here.
Hope this helps :biggrin:!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 6K6

I haven't got any 'hands-on' information concerning accommodation at Lucy (I was pooled there, all I know about the college is on the website hidden somewhere - blue book, room ballot information).
It seems that we have a choice of en-suite rooms (De Brye, Bertram, Warburton Hall) - for about £1,076 per term. Rooms look nice but seem 'small' though ('small' by Cambridge standard, but quite large when compared to dorms at other unis). For £1,076 we also get very large rooms in Straithard and Barrmore (with shared bathroom facilities). Band B rooms (£955 per term) are either those of standard size in older buildings (shared facilities) or sets in Oldham Hall (you share a bathroom and a kitchen with another standard-size, single room). Band C rooms (£836) are mainly offsite.

Hi! Thanks for the info! Was really useful. I looked on the website but couldn't find any of the stuff. I just saw some of the rooms that they also let out as guest rooms! The prices seem quite reasonable in my opinion. They are certainly less than what I am paying at the moment so that's good! Are you excited about going to Cambridge? What does your degree entail? I guess you are a mature student? :smile:
Hi everyone!

I'm starting a BA in English. Does anyone know if we're allowed to express a preference for a particular type of accomodation? It just says to tick the 'I wish to apply for accomodation' box on the offer letter, but no mention of the different types available. I prefer to be in an ensuite room, I stayed in one of them during my interview though I can't seem to recall what it was called.
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hi everyone!

I'm starting a BA in English. Does anyone know if we're allowed to express a preference for a particular type of accomodation? It just says to tick the 'I wish to apply for accomodation' box on the offer letter, but no mention of the different types available. I prefer to be in an ensuite room, I stayed in one of them during my interview though I can't seem to recall what it was called.

Yay! Congrats :smile: I saw your other thread about getting to Lucy :smile: I think we get allocated rooms much later. I don't think you can express a preference at the moment. I couldn't on my reply. :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Seham
Hi! Thanks for the info! Was really useful. I looked on the website but couldn't find any of the stuff. I just saw some of the rooms that they also let out as guest rooms! The prices seem quite reasonable in my opinion. They are certainly less than what I am paying at the moment so that's good! Are you excited about going to Cambridge? What does your degree entail? I guess you are a mature student? :smile:

I'll be 21 in the summer, so theoretically I'm a mature student. I have a very immature 'soul' though (no kids, no husband, no boyfriend, no commitments whatsoever :biggrin:).
I sacrificed like two years of my life to get a place at Cambridge and uni in general (last year I had a total of 5 rejections, didn't want to choose anything through extra/clearing , decided to give it another go this year). You can only imagine my excitement, I can't wait and instead of getting prepared for my A-Level retake all I'm thinking about is which duvet cover to buy, which pair of shoes to take with me in October :smile:.

My degree entails a mixture of economics and law in relation to land, development and environment. It sounds weird, but it is mainly law and applied economics (it has some 'doss' papers to choose from such as: agriculture, energy supply, built environment, etc - I doubt anyone is keen on doing them though :rolleyes:).

I think we'll be able to express our room preference in August/September. I'll probably go for an Oldham Hall room in a set (nearly an en-suite but lower rent - more clothes/shoes I can buy instead :ahee:).
Original post by 6K6
I'll be 21 in the summer, so theoretically I'm a mature student. I have a very immature 'soul' though (no kids, no husband, no boyfriend, no commitments whatsoever :biggrin:).
I sacrificed like two years of my life to get a place at Cambridge and uni in general (last year I had a total of 5 rejections, didn't want to choose anything through extra/clearing , decided to give it another go this year). You can only imagine my excitement, I can't wait and instead of getting prepared for my A-Level retake all I'm thinking about is which duvet cover to buy, which pair of shoes to take with me in October :smile:.

My degree entails a mixture of economics and law in relation to land, development and environment. It sounds weird, but it is mainly law and applied economics (it has some 'doss' papers to choose from such as: agriculture, energy supply, built environment, etc - I doubt anyone is keen on doing them though :rolleyes:).

I think we'll be able to express our room preference in August/September. I'll probably go for an Oldham Hall room in a set (nearly an en-suite but lower rent - more clothes/shoes I can buy instead :ahee:).

O cool! So only just a mature student :tongue: I will have just turned 22 when I start and this actually my second degree :redface: Well congrats on the offer. Makes it even better! Your degree sounds cool!

I'm not sure where I will choose for accommodation yet. :smile:
Original post by Seham
Yay! Congrats :smile: I saw your other thread about getting to Lucy :smile: I think we get allocated rooms much later. I don't think you can express a preference at the moment. I couldn't on my reply. :smile:

Thanks. There's so many bits and bobs to sort out and not enough time to do it. :frown:

The offer letter mentioned sending a copy of your immigration and fee status (I'm from the UK), educational qualifications etc but I already submitted those documents pre-interview stage, will I have to send it again? Also, it mentioned something about sending details of my grades by August 15th 2011, but I assumed universities get them straight from the exam boards.
Thanks. There's so many bits and bobs to sort out and not enough time to do it. :frown:

The offer letter mentioned sending a copy of your immigration and fee status (I'm from the UK), educational qualifications etc but I already submitted those documents pre-interview stage, will I have to send it again? Also, it mentioned something about sending details of my grades by August 15th 2011, but I assumed universities get them straight from the exam boards.

O ok. I'm not sure. I would ring up and ask. I wouldn't think you needed to submit them again if you have already. I didn't get asked to submit them again. If you are from the UK then they should get them from the exam board. Maybe they don't know you are a home student. I would phone them when they open again.
Reply 89
Hello,

I am going to Lucy in October to study for a PhD in Physics. I would like to know whether there are other new/old Lucy students here somewhere?

With best wishes,
Anna
Reply 91
Original post by 6K6

Brilliant info, I'd found most of it but the pic of the room is new to me :biggrin: Looks a lot bigger than I was expecting! For some reason I'm really excited about hopefully getting a window seat...

EDIT: I notice you said the standard ensuite rooms were Band A - from what I've read in the Blue Book, most rooms in Warburton, De Byre and Bertram are actually Band B too (£995 p/term).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by myNameHere
Brilliant info, I'd found most of it but the pic of the room is new to me :biggrin: Looks a lot bigger than I was expecting! For some reason I'm really excited about hopefully getting a window seat...

EDIT: I notice you said the standard ensuite rooms were Band A - from what I've read in the Blue Book, most rooms in Warburton, De Byre and Bertram are actually Band B too (£995 p/term).

They have switched all ensuites to band A category this year to make us pay more :angry:.
What are you going to study at Lucy :>? :colone:
Reply 93
Original post by 6K6
They have switched all ensuites to band A category this year to make us pay more :angry:.

Really? How annoying! Do you know how much rents are likely to increase to this year?

Compsci first year, probably transferring to natsci in the second year. :smile: How bout you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 6K6

How much are the en-suites and how did you find out about them? Can you post the link (if it's available)?
Reply 95
How much are the en-suites and how did you find out about them? Can you post the link (if it's available)?

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/pages/students/room-ballot.php
Here are those two links at the bottom stating rooms available and the band category of each. The Blue Book is an old one for the previous year - it had ensuites stated as a Band B (955 per year), the room ballot information (for 2011/2012) has those rooms listed under Band A - therefore £1,076 per term. It is an average rent I would say, I've read somewhere that some colleges f.e Robinson, Downing, etc push their rents up to £1400 a term.
Reply 96
Do you know also, if you opt for termly contracts (ie move out between michaelmas/lent and lent/easter), do you go back to the same room after? Or will you be somewhere different, and sharing with a bunch of new people? :s-smilie:
Reply 97
Original post by myNameHere
Do you know also, if you opt for termly contracts (ie move out between michaelmas/lent and lent/easter), do you go back to the same room after? Or will you be somewhere different, and sharing with a bunch of new people? :s-smilie:

You go back to the same room. Ballots/room changes only happen yearly :smile:
I liked the look of Lucy Cavendish.

Then I saw it was female only. :frown:
Reply 99
Original post by moonkatie

Original post by moonkatie
You go back to the same room. Ballots/room changes only happen yearly :smile:

Ah that makes things a lot simpler then, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest