The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Any stories for Queen Mary, or Law at all?
Reply 321
Original post by DMed
Depends on your subject, but they let me in with 2 grades down (degree was in Chemistry)

Hi - what do you think about Law at liverpool? Any leniency?
Reply 322
Original post by ffoulkesie
My 'insurance' course requires me to get 200-280 UCAS Points and i already have 240 UCAS points, but i am re-sitting two of my exams, so i got a conditional offer that requires me to get 160 UCAS points from my two re-sits so i was wondering, if i don't get the 160 UCAS points will they let me in as i already have enough to get in?

I would advise that you call the uni and ask them about any queries with your conditions, it will hopefully put your mind at ease :smile: good luck :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by sango
Finally, another IB person!

In 12 days we will know our fate... :afraid:

We had to appear at some point. What's your offer/course?
Reply 324
Guys its all up to the university, how many people get in on the day etc... Don't get too stressed about it and don't get your hopes up. Focus on getting the grades and if you've finished your exams make a list of places that you would be interested in going to were you to miss your grades (research the courses etc..) and then put it away and enjoy the summer. Be prepared for results day though. Charge your phone and try not to be on holiday incase you are in clearing. Now back to the topic:
I missed my grade for birmingham last year and didn't get in as the course was already full up
my friend needed ABB for sociology at LSE and got A* BC and didn't get in.
My friend needed ABB for arcitiecture at Westminster and got BCD and was accepted.
My friend needed ABB for Bio med Kent and also got BCD and was accepted.
A lot of my friends missed there firm last year and only a few still got into there firm/insurance. It is always worth ringing the university up and pleading your case though as you never know what might happen.
Reply 325
Original post by dosvidaniya
What do you think the chances of me getting into Liverpool University for Sociology (BBB) with BBC/BCC ? Man, I really hope I get in, I've messed up enough as it is and being rejected here would be pretty devastating. :confused: Would the fact that I am from Liverpool maybe give me more of a chance ?

I dunno but they were in clearing for sociology last year if that's any consulation. It all depends on this year's stats etc... Good luck though
Original post by aprilterri
I dunno but they were in clearing for sociology last year if that's any consulation. It all depends on this year's stats etc... Good luck though

Thanks. That is somewhat reassuring. :redface:
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
my cousin needed A*AA to get to manchester to read maths & physics. he got CDU (:lolwut:)and somehow got a place :redface:.

AWESOME! :biggrin: ... I think you (or your cousin rather) is winning on this thread for biggest discrepancy between the offer and actual results. Ah, that must have really made his day when he was still allowed in! :yy:
Reply 328
Original post by lisalilsmartass
AWESOME! :biggrin: ... I think you (or your cousin rather) is winning on this thread for biggest discrepancy between the offer and actual results. Ah, that must have really made his day when he was still allowed in! :yy:
I hate to rain on the parade, but either this cousin is ...er... stretching the truth, or there were specific features of his application that were of particular interest to the uni, and/or there were convincing extenuating circumstances.

The reason unis set minimum entry standards is that they have found through experience that people who have achieved those grades are most likely to be able to cope well with the course, and that people who haven't are at high risk of going under. So in this case, if they were looking for A grade people and they really did take someone with CD, they must have been very sure that the results were an aberration.
Original post by Minerva
I hate to rain on the parade, but either this cousin is ...er... stretching the truth, or there were specific features of his application that were of particular interest to the uni, and/or there were convincing extenuating circumstances.

The reason unis set minimum entry standards is that they have found through experience that people who have achieved those grades are most likely to be able to cope well with the course, and that people who haven't are at high risk of going under. So in this case, if they were looking for A grade people and they really did take someone with CD, they must have been very sure that the results were an aberration.

I understand what you're saying, but isn't it a tad irrelevant? I was just pointing that if your offer was A*AA and you achieved CDU you would be gutted and no doubt think that your chance at uni was over, so the fact he was accepted must have made him feel incredibly happy and lucky.

I wasn't making a point about the reasons for minimum offers or the circumstances for why his cousin fell under the grade.
Reply 330
Original post by lisalilsmartass
I understand what you're saying, but isn't it a tad irrelevant? I was just pointing that if your offer was A*AA and you achieved CDU you would be gutted and no doubt think that your chance at uni was over, so the fact he was accepted must have made him feel incredibly happy and lucky.

I wasn't making a point about the reasons for minimum offers or the circumstances for why his cousin fell under the grade.
Not really. I was not making your point, I was making my own :smile: I'm sure the cousin was very happy to get a place, whatever the truth of the gap between the required and actual grades.
I have an offer for Exeter for AAB (and a specific A in English). I've got an A* in my English but I don't think I'll get AB, more like BB in the two remaining subjects. Don't feel like I'll get in :frown:
Original post by samsongable
My cousin needed AAB (or ABB...) for engenieering, though he got BBC. They let him in because he showed that he was really keen in his personal statement! And this was the University of Birmingham!

Chemical engineering by any chance?? :biggrin:
Original post by MelissaJayne
I have an offer for Exeter for AAB (and a specific A in English). I've got an A* in my English but I don't think I'll get AB, more like BB in the two remaining subjects. Don't feel like I'll get in :frown:

I'm pretty sure the Cornwall campus are known for being more leinient than the main campus in Exeter if that helps?
Original post by aprilterri
Guys its all up to the university, how many people get in on the day etc... Don't get too stressed about it and don't get your hopes up. Focus on getting the grades and if you've finished your exams make a list of places that you would be interested in going to were you to miss your grades (research the courses etc..) and then put it away and enjoy the summer. Be prepared for results day though. Charge your phone and try not to be on holiday incase you are in clearing. Now back to the topic:
I missed my grade for birmingham last year and didn't get in as the course was already full up
my friend needed ABB for sociology at LSE and got A* BC and didn't get in.
My friend needed ABB for arcitiecture at Westminster and got BCD and was accepted.
My friend needed ABB for Bio med Kent and also got BCD and was accepted.
A lot of my friends missed there firm last year and only a few still got into there firm/insurance. It is always worth ringing the university up and pleading your case though as you never know what might happen.

What course had you applied for, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by MelissaJayne

I don't know how useful this will be, but my boyfriend just finished his first year studying Politics at the Exeter Cornwall Campus. His offer was AAB, but in the end he got ABC and they still let him in :smile: he got the C because of one bad module result, so I guess they just overlooked it...so there is hope!
It is honestly up to the University and their quota of intake (unless it is Oxbridge who have a reputation for outright rejecting those who failed to get AAA/A*AA). I know of a girl who achieved BBC and took up a place at RHCL for geography (despite her offer being ABB), and another girl who achieved A*A*B and was rejected for English Literature at Bristol, Warwick and the Exeter campus of Exeter University (whilst there were other people at my sixth form who got into the same course through clearing with much lower grades). The reasons that were provided for both candidates were both centred around the university's quotas, and their need to fill the courses for financial reasons.
(edited 12 years ago)
I needed AAA and got AAB and got in. I think it helped that I got an A in the subject the course is on; a friend applying to the same university got a B in the subject she applied for and they wanted an A, and she didn't get in that year.
Reply 338
As everyone's said it depends on the uni. A girl in the year above me applied for Drama at exeter her offer was ABB with an A in english language
She got A*BB with the A* in drama and got rejected!

However, she reapplied this year and got an unconditional from exeter!
Reply 339
Anyone know how lenient Manchester are for English/Drama?

Need AAB for only 23 places :/ Think I managed the A's (English included) but have soo failed my last philosophy paper

I'm praying because they liked me at interview they might take me anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest