The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

:O I never knew you got given money to buy clothes to wear when you work in a shop!!! :frown: Thats pretty cool :smile:

Also I had an interview but havent heard anything back...im guessing that means i was unsuccessful...not surprised really!! haha
Reply 41
i checked that the pay is pretty poor compared to other placements in retail, etc.
Reply 42
how did you get the job? seriously i have been applying for 6 months for about 8 different jobs and have not even got an interview. I am only 16 so dont have any experince. could that be the reason or am i failing at the questionaire?
I have answered them honestly and was pretty confident about the answers but no luck so far. stuff like: Next's clothing competitors? best resources for keeping up to date with fashion? Describing Next as a brand? and other stuff. what answers did the "successful" candidates give?? so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Do you need uniform for the sale? I always see the temp staff wearing sale tees?
Original post by BubberSher
how did you get the job? seriously i have been applying for 6 months for about 8 different jobs and have not even got an interview. I am only 16 so dont have any experince. could that be the reason or am i failing at the questionaire?
I have answered them honestly and was pretty confident about the answers but no luck so far. stuff like: Next's clothing competitors? best resources for keeping up to date with fashion? Describing Next as a brand? and other stuff. what answers did the "successful" candidates give?? so confused :s-smilie:

I am just the same!!! I am also 16 and applied for like 10 posts at next then finally got an interview but i think i failed it!!!! Ive not heard anything back after like 3 weeks so.... :/
Original post by DingDong!
Do you need uniform for the sale? I always see the temp staff wearing sale tees?

The tees aren't the best, I had a disgusting green one in the sale when I worked last :frown:

Original post by Doofy
I work there :smile:
I'm on a 4 hour contract and I'm only temporary.. Its quite annoying cos I want more hours but only seem to want me on Saturdays :frown:!

Ihad a 4hour contract but i was working plenty of overtime. ask managers, and ask around, there's bound to be some overtime lying around.

Original post by gunit123
i checked that the pay is pretty poor compared to other placements in retail, etc.

When is pay ever great in retail? I get £5.93 which is minimum wage for 21 and above and I'm 19 so that's not too bad. Plus it gives me cash at the end of the month - its not my full time job, so the pay suits me fine :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by BeccaCath94
I am just the same!!! I am also 16 and applied for like 10 posts at next then finally got an interview but i think i failed it!!!! Ive not heard anything back after like 3 weeks so.... :/

what answers did you put? :smile:
Reply 47
Oh, you next employees are lucky with your uniform allowance and rules! New look give you the grand total of 0 to spend on uniform, but expect every item you wear to be theirs!
Reply 48
Can I ask how you hear about an interview offer? Do they ring you (and is it an 0800 number because I have a missed call and I'm hopeful!)
Original post by BubberSher
what answers did you put? :smile:

Oh i cant remember!! haha :/
Original post by betaomega
Can I ask how you hear about an interview offer? Do they ring you (and is it an 0800 number because I have a missed call and I'm hopeful!)

Yes i think that could be them!
Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by MovingOn
Oh, you next employees are lucky with your uniform allowance and rules! New look give you the grand total of 0 to spend on uniform, but expect every item you wear to be theirs!

Thats what I thought happened wherever you worked so being given £75 is very generous!!!!! :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the pay per hour is for an 18 year old at NEXT?
Reply 53
Original post by AVERAGEJOE123
Does anyone know what the pay per hour is for an 18 year old at NEXT?

£5.93 an hour ..
Can somebody please check my answers to these questions. It's for the Next application, and i want to make sure i get all of them right.
Thanks. My answers are in bold.

1. Which three High Street Retailers do you consider to be Next's biggest clothing competitors?

Debenhams
Dorothy Perkins
Dunnes
Marks & Spencer
Matalan
New Look
Penny's
Primark
River Island
Tesco
TK Maxx
Top Shop

2. How would you best describe the Next brand? Please select three answers.

Catwalk fashions
Cheap clothes
Designer labels
Good quality
Haute couture
High fashion
Modern classic styles
On trend
Sportswear
Value for money

3. What are the best resources to keep yourself up-to-date with current fashion trends? Select your top three resources.

Internet
Listening to the radio
Magazines
Shopping on the High Street
Store catalogues and directories
Television fashion programmes
Through friends and family

4. You are with a customer in the fitting room and they have asked you to bring in an alternative size. They explain the outfit is for a wedding, but you personally feel the garment is not very flattering on the customer. What would you do?

Ask a more experienced colleague to address the situation for you to observe, so you are able to deal with a similar situation should it arise in the future.
Bring the customer the correct size and tell them it would be perfect for the wedding.
Bring the customer the correct size, as well as some alternative items, and then offer to give them advice once they have tried the items on.
Tell the customer politely the outfit doesn’t suit them.

5. The shoe lounge is a key selling area for the Company. What would be your top three priorities whilst working in the shoe lounge?
Advise on style and fit.
Keeping the shoe stands clean and tidy at all times, above all tasks.
Only serve one customer at a time to maximise sales.
Presentation of the shoes.
Providing excellent customer service to ensure the customer's shoe shopping experience is a delight.
Replenishment of the sold stock to prevent gaps on the stands.
Selling the most expensive pair of shoes.

6. A new manager takes over your team and suggests some changes. The manager has asked everyone for their feedback and you don’t think some of these ideas will work very well, how would you respond?

Gather all the members of your team and confront the manager as a group with your objections.
Inform the manager you disagree with the ideas and explain your reasons why.
Say nothing.
You agree to try the new ideas and discuss your concerns after the changes have been trialled.

7. You are serving at the till point and a customer's credit card has been declined, the customer becomes embarrassed and irate, would you?
Ask the customer if they can pay with an alternative method.
Call a manager for assistance.
Offer to hold the garments whilst the customer contacts their credit card company.
Tell the customer they must have exceeded their card spending limit.

8. What is the main purpose for having a member of staff at the front entrance at all times?
To be a welcoming face at the front door for customers to see.To entice customers to come into the store.
To prevent theft.
To tidy the stock at the entrance of the store as this is the first thing customers see.

9. A watch is returned by a customer because it is faulty. Later you observe a member of staff trying on the same faulty returned watch. When you approach them they say they are taking it home as it will only be destroyed and they suggest you take a returned faulty item also, what would you do?
Call the confidential Company security hotline.
Inform a manager immediately.
Point out this would be theft and advise them to put the watch back.
Say you do not wish to get involved and walk away from the situation.
Take the faulty item as it will only be getting destroyed.

10. I work best in the following environment
A busy one, this is when I am most productive.
One where I am given my task and will complete to Company standards without constant supervision.
One where I can work through my activities at my own speed.
One where I have the opportunity to vary the work I do as I get bored easily.
Original post by Explore.Dream.Discover

Mine were more or less the same answers (doing mine as we speak), where're you applying?
Original post by Architecture-er
Mine were more or less the same answers (doing mine as we speak), where're you applying?

That's good, I guess I might aswell send mine aswell. I'm applying in a busy shopping centre in Manchester, so i guess it will be quite competitive. You? I've applied for like 3 vacanices in Next already, and i don't seem to be getting any replies. This job search is harder than i thought. lol
Reply 57
What are you supposed to put for supporting notes? I've always just been leaving it blank. I guess that's the wrong thing to do... :tongue:
Actually, the pay is a lot less than for their competitors here. Next pay €7.65, minium wage. Primark, M&S, Debenhams, Dunnes ALL pay over €9, significant difference. As does the rest of the high street and Boots etc. Still I applied and have 3 years experience so we'll see. A job's a job at this stage.
Original post by rachel hw
I had an interview with Next last week but still havent heard anything from them yet.
How long did it take for Next to call you back then?

Thanks.

Ermm well i had an interview like a month ago and havent heard anything back so i think it depends if you're successful....but they said a week so...good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending