The Student Room Group

Oxford International Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeandikes
Oh that's PERFECT. A former international applicant!
Even though you didn't have to submit your transcript, on the UCAS application did you have to put down courses and grades and predicted grades just like what would be on a transcript? And was your offer conditional? Also, did you submit A-Levels, because I'll be submitting SAT scores since I'm in the States and I'm a wee little worried about how those will go over. The website said that they're given the same consideration, but I don't know. Oh and what college are you at?

Wow, I thought the interview would be JUST like online! It's good I know the truth now. I'll be properly freaked out and prepared. Thanks so much for the wake up call! The thing is, I think I'll get a skype interview if at all, since I'm in the States and couldn't possibly go there just for an interview. I really want an interview though! They seem to matter a lot.

When I had my interviews in Oxford in December there were at least three Americans, and one Canadian, interviewing at the same college at the same time as me. I'm not sure if you're actually allowed a Skype interview, if you don't have colliding exams or live in a country it's hard to get a visa from.

Besides, it's not just an interview you travel there for, for starters there is several on different days, they're actually quite enjoyable, it's supposedly harder to get in with a Skype interview, you get to stay in Oxford and develop a feel towards whether you actually want to go there, and finally you'll get to meet intelligent and witty people, some of whom will hopefully be among your friends at college if you get in.

As for grades I honestly don't think they're too bothered, and that the requirements are mostly there to ensure they don't accept intelligent underachievers instead of people with both qualities.

In short, the interviews is three days of fun, with some challenging acedemic interviews thrown in occasionally. Don't miss them if you do in fact have an oppurtinity to go.
Original post by Athena

You MUST have applied for Oxford through UCAS by 15th October. Totally non-negotiable. Test scores can be updated, either on UCAS, or through directly contacting the college, later - but if you haven't submitted your UCAS form by 15th, that's it, you won't be considered.

In the past, they have sometimes asked international applicants to apply even earlier if they want to be interviewed outside Europe, but they may have phased out that style of interview.

I know I have to submit my UCAS on time, I only said I'd just have to send a few test scores 6 days late. I never said I'd submit my application itself late. I'd like to submit it as early as possible, but I don't know how it'll look to submit an incomplete application so early and then complete it on October 21.

Original post by Sebsan
When I had my interviews in Oxford in December there were at least three Americans, and one Canadian, interviewing at the same college at the same time as me. I'm not sure if you're actually allowed a Skype interview, if you don't have colliding exams or live in a country it's hard to get a visa from.

Besides, it's not just an interview you travel there for, for starters there is several on different days, they're actually quite enjoyable, it's supposedly harder to get in with a Skype interview, you get to stay in Oxford and develop a feel towards whether you actually want to go there, and finally you'll get to meet intelligent and witty people, some of whom will hopefully be among your friends at college if you get in.

As for grades I honestly don't think they're too bothered, and that the requirements are mostly there to ensure they don't accept intelligent underachievers instead of people with both qualities.

In short, the interviews is three days of fun, with some challenging acedemic interviews thrown in occasionally. Don't miss them if you do in fact have an oppurtinity to go.

The interview section of the website for international applicants itself says that it would be difficult to get a visitor visa for a visa-national considering the short amount of time between when the applicant is informed of an offering for an interview and when the interview takes place. I'm sure the interview process if three days of fun, and I don't know about those American and Canadian applicants, but it's expensive to travel and I just don't have the funds and probably couldn't get a visa in the window of opportunity provided.

Are you certain that it's harder to get in with a Skype interview? And do you know people who have?

And does anyone know how much the assessment exams, like the HAT exam for history applicants or the LNAT for law applicants, figure into admissions? Like, how much are they weighed? I explained in a previous post how U.S. schools weigh different aspects of an application but no one really broke it down for me with regard to Oxford in the way I asked.

Thanks in advance.
You can't 'submit' an incomplete application. If you're submitting it to a university, you have to have everything completed - this means your personal statement, your reference, etc. If you're going to apply to another university in addition to Oxford however, I've read here that it's a good idea to send the others off separately, to give you more time to think, and so they won't suspect you're an Oxford applicant. :wink:

It is expensive to travel, but... I personally wouldn't mind the trip and it will be worth your money if you do make it (get accepted, I mean). I know that a Canadian passport is quite literally a 'passport' to get in hassle-free to many countries... not so sure about the US, but in any case it shouldn't be an issue visa-wise. They would really prefer you to come in-person.

I know a lot of (all?) applicants from India have a phone or Skype interview... As to how it's harder to get in... well, they really can't judge you well over a camera and a microphone.

Re: Assessments. I have to take the TSA, and I've read about how admissions tutors view the scores. I don't know the 'weightings', but in general... if you get an average score (oversimplifying it, but ~60%) they will think you are 'suitable'. If you get a good score (~80%), they will factor this into your application and choose you even if your personal statement/grades aren't amazing. If you do poorly, well they'll know that you got your grades by some fluke, and really aren't suitable for that particular course.

Hope I helped.

ETA: On the admissions test site (http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/) they have graphs of results from last year. Click through and view them.

Just to get a general idea of where you're heading... do you have any particular area you're interested in going into? Humanities, Languages, etc. ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
You're an American, you don't need a visa.
Original post by Yafoubnx
You're an American, you don't need a visa.

Yeah, okay, that's what I thought too. Unless you don't have an American passport, you shouldn't worry about the process of visiting. The most you should worry about is airfare and missing school, but as I've stated before... it will be worth it if you do come.
Original post by punctuation
You can't 'submit' an incomplete application. If you're submitting it to a university, you have to have everything completed - this means your personal statement, your reference, etc. If you're going to apply to another university in addition to Oxford however, I've read here that it's a good idea to send the others off separately, to give you more time to think, and so they won't suspect you're an Oxford applicant. :wink:

It is expensive to travel, but... I personally wouldn't mind the trip and it will be worth your money if you do make it (get accepted, I mean). I know that a Canadian passport is quite literally a 'passport' to get in hassle-free to many countries... not so sure about the US, but in any case it shouldn't be an issue visa-wise. They would really prefer you to come in-person.

I know a lot of (all?) applicants from India have a phone or Skype interview... As to how it's harder to get in... well, they really can't judge you well over a camera and a microphone.

Re: Assessments. I have to take the TSA, and I've read about how admissions tutors view the scores. I don't know the 'weightings', but in general... if you get an average score (oversimplifying it, but ~60%) they will think you are 'suitable'. If you get a good score (~80%), they will factor this into your application and choose you even if your personal statement/grades aren't amazing. If you do poorly, well they'll know that you got your grades by some fluke, and really aren't suitable for that particular course.

Hope I helped.

ETA: On the admissions test site (http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/) they have graphs of results from last year. Click through and view them.

Just to get a general idea of where you're heading... do you have any particular area you're interested in going into? Humanities, Languages, etc. ?

You've been really helpful so far punctuation.

I didn't mean that my application would be INCOMPLETE incomplete, I just meant that I wouldn't have all my test scores by the time I submit the application on UCAS. I'll have to send a couple scores October 21.

And are you really sure the interview being in person matters so much? I know nothing about visas, so I think that other persons right in saying I won't need a visa since I'm America, but it's really expensive to travel. It's not a matter of minding traveling, it's a matter of affording it period when I may not even get in or have to go through all the expenses again if I do get in. It's expensive to travel, and I really just don't have the luxury of even deciding whether it'd be worth it or not right now. I would LOVE to go to England for a few days; it's just not practical. If I get in, I'll end up having paid for going there, coming back, then going there again, and if I don't then it just wouldn't have been worth it, even if going to England would be a great experience. Honestly, if they're gonna hold that against me there's nothing I can do so I guess I won't get in.

Do you know how those Indian skype interviewees do in admissions haha?

And so grades from courses do matter right? I'd like them to matter, it's just that none of the admissions criteria online includes grades, just standardized test/assessment scores and interviews and the UCAS application. I guess the grades are included in the UCAS application, like you said, but it's weird that the website doesn't mention them specifically since they matter so much in the US.

Oh and I'm interested in applying for modern History, but I'm kind of not sure but also totally sure at the same time!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Alright, I'll try to spell this out for you simply. Grades don't matter at all as an American applicant. They care about the following things: SAT (2100+) ACT (32+) APs (three or more 5s in relevant subjects) SAT Subject tests (3 or more 700s in relevant subjects) although they do prefer the SAT and APs over ACT and SAT Subject tests. I would very much suggest that you go there for interviews, it helps immensely. However, if the cost is too great, a skype interview isn't too bad. I have heard of many people getting in after skype interviews. All in all, the credentials really aren't all that important, they really just get your foot in the door. Exams, written work, and personal statement (subject dependent) are much more important towards getting an interview.
Reply 27
yes i'm a international student and a dumb one...i'd like to apply and study in the US...well thats just a dream cuz with my results duh...but still sometimes dream do come true...i wish mine wud b true as well
Oh that's PERFECT. A former international applicant!
Even though you didn't have to submit your transcript, on the UCAS application did you have to put down courses and grades and predicted grades just like what would be on a transcript? And was your offer conditional? Also, did you submit A-Levels, because I'll be submitting SAT scores since I'm in the States and I'm a wee little worried about how those will go over. The website said that they're given the same consideration, but I don't know. Oh and what college are you at?

Wow, I thought the interview would be JUST like online! It's good I know the truth now. I'll be properly freaked out and prepared. Thanks so much for the wake up call! The thing is, I think I'll get a skype interview if at all, since I'm in the States and couldn't possibly go there just for an interview. I really want an interview though! They seem to matter a lot.

I was told during the process that if other grades come along, you can email them in and have them included with your application. They wont decide who to interview within the first week anyway, so it shouldnt be a problem. It would be wise to email them in advance though. I would echo the other advice and reccommend travelling to Oxford for the interview, as I did, its an amazing experience even if your not successful, but if you actually cant then I guess theres nothing you can do. Not every college/subject does Skype interviewing as far as I'm aware, so you have to contact them individually to find out their circumstances. My offer was unconditional as I had already finished school, although my grades werent amazing. One thing international applicants get too hung up over is the circumstances of their grades, when the admissions tests and interviews are far more important. If you want to improve your chances as much as possible, practise the admissions test (if applicable) for your subject.

Balliol is my college.
Well the online videos (i've only watched the Cambridge one for History) certainly arent an outright falsification. Its just that the person your watching is a current student, and therefore has extensive experience in the tutorial system which the interview is designed to mimic, and hence they have been instructed in the art of spontaneous eloquence. Its a lot harder when you actually get there, are extremely nervous and being faced down by two world leading academics in their field. A really good interview will go down the same as the ones you have seen, but most people will find it far harder. In fact most successful applicants walk out of their interviews thinking they have failed, although I dont know if thats just because the most talented people are likely to have higher standards of themselves.
Best of luck.
x

Right, I see what you mean.

Yes, grades/marks do matter, but unlike the US I suppose, it's more of a way to get your foot in the door, such as... hi, I have good grades so I must be a good student please consider me! Then they test how intelligent you actually are (since grades are sometimes objective) through the interviews/admissions tests. :smile: The PS is also to see that you really do like the subject and would love to be studying it for 3-4 years. If they see your marks are perfect but you're just grasping for straws in your PS, they'll think you just picked the course because you like the money the career offers, or your parents pressured you into it, etc.

Oxford wants good students who go on to be world-renowned in their field, so they want to ensure that before they accept you. They need to make sure their reputation doesn't go down the drain after too many drop-outs, and in your interest as well, so that you're not bogged down by all the stress/course load for a course you don't particularly like, after all.

Sorry, and when I say grades, I mean marks/scores in general, not just school grades.

Here's a quote from the Oxford website on interviews and how they weight the different parts of your application (I got this off the psychology department, so I don't know if this applies for all Oxford applications). I've bolded those sections relevant to your situation.

Short-listing
Normally, to be invited for an interview (short listed) an applicant will need to have a very good track record of academic achievement, excellent A-level grade predictions (or equivalent), a very strong UCAS reference and a good mark in our pre-interview admissions test.

Initially, short-listing applicants is based heavily upon academic performance and the results of the pre-interview admissions test. For example, we would expect students who have taken GCSEs to have excellent grades, i.e. at least 4 A* grades including an A or A* grade at GCSE Mathematics, and obtain an above average mark on our pre-interview admissions test.

In addition, all relevant information presented on the UCAS forms of applicants is carefully reviewed by College Tutors before final short-listing decisions are taken. Any applicants whose individual circumstances, both academic and non-academic, suggest that the academic and pre-interview admissions test performance is likely to underestimate significantly their academic potential are short-listed.

Interviews
The interview is aimed at assessing the candidate's potential for future development and how they will cope with the academic course. All applicants who are interviewed in Oxford will be interviewed at two separate colleges, i.e. their "college of preference" and a second college. This is to ensure that we have two independent interview assessments of every candidate we have interviewed.

Tutors will be looking for the following qualities at interview: Clarity of analysis and presentation of ideas; ability to generate own ideas and proposals; ability to listen and respond to ideas put forward during discussion, and to draw inferences from them; ability to put forward coherent and well thought out proposals and responses.

Decisions
An overall assessment of all candidates is made at a meeting of all Psychology Tutors in the Department of Experimental Psychology. All College Tutors rank all the candidates that they have seen, using the full range of indicators. These are: 1) GCSE's or equivalent; 2) predicted or obtained A-levels or equivalent; 3) the reference from the school; 4) the pre-interview admissions test; 5) the interview; 6) and other relevant information. Final offers are based upon all these factors.

ETA: Click through some of the courses here http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/ to get an idea. At the right hand there's a box with what % of applicants get an interview, and how many are successful. For example, for my course 70% get an interview and 17% are successful.
(edited 12 years ago)
You should definitely be submitting AP scores and not SAT subject tests. If possible, submit both.
Hi,

Admissions tests' results, reference letters, etc. notwithstanding - do you think Oxford would be more likely or less likely to interview an international student? I would think more due to relative unfamiliarity with the equivalent grading system; however, less because they are perfectly qualified UK students and why fly an international student over for no reason?

This would be a hypothetical scenario with two students that achieved very close admissions test scores, wrote a great/equal reference, and so on.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all answers (snide or otherwise).

TSR is a bit dead at this time in the night/morning.
Okay. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm just lost about the qualifications until the two unis I contacted get back with the equivalent requirements. :/ I have a general idea of the minimum/UMS but I'd like to know what to aim for with regards to my course. Sigh.
As -------------- said, there's no advantage or disadvantage for being an international. Unlike the US schools, which practice an informal quota for internationals (thereby making it more difficult to gain admission), Oxford isn't concerned about nationality. The only thing that matters is your aptitude and suitability for your course.

Geographical distance also isn't a factor - all internationals outside the EU will almost definitely be offered the option of a Skype or phone interview, if you cannot go to Oxford in person (although I strongly recommend it if you can - just to explore the city and experience student life!). My college didn't mind at all that I had to fly in from Southeast Asia. :smile: You'll be travelling on your own expenses though (but the college will provide free food and accommodation for the duration of your interviews)

It's debatable whether attending in person is going to make a tangible difference; I heard through the grapevine from another interviewee at my college that the tutors hinted they'd rather see the candidates in person. At the same time, I know people who Skyped and got in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
As ---------- said, there's no advantage or disadvantage for being an international. Unlike the US schools, which practice an informal quota for internationals (thereby making it more difficult to gain admission), Oxford isn't concerned about nationality. The only thing that matters is your aptitude and suitability for your course.

Geographical distance also isn't a factor - all internationals outside the EU will almost definitely be offered the option of a Skype or phone interview, if you cannot go to Oxford in person (although I strongly recommend it if you can - just to explore the city and experience student life!). My college didn't mind at all that I had to fly in from Southeast Asia. :smile: You'll be travelling on your own expenses though (but the college will provide free food and accommodation for the duration of your interviews)

It's debatable whether attending in person is going to make a tangible difference; I heard through the grapevine from another interviewee at my college that the tutors hinted they'd rather see the candidates in person. At the same time, I know people who Skyped and got in.

Yeah I know, I was already planning on flying over if I was shortlisted - I would love to stay at my college. :smile:

I'd prefer seeing tutors in person too. It seems more real, it's a better experience, and... talking over Skype would just feel weird!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 35
First time on TSR so I'm not sure how all this works, I'm an IB student in Germany hoping to apply to Economics and Management at Oxford. Can someone tell me if i have a chance?

Predicted:
Econ HL-7 Eng A1 HL- 7 Bio HL-7 Math HL-6 History SL-7 German Ab Initio-7

So all in all, I'm pretty sure I'm getting predicted somewhere around 44 points when i get back next year.

I also have an AP qualification (US system), AP Calculus AB and scored 5/5 already. Have a 2150/2400 SAT score, 116/120 TOEFL score, 800/800 SATII Mandarin score, 740/800 SATII German score, 760/800 SATII Math Lvl2 score. Work qualifications as a volunteer in a slum kindergarten in Thailand and as an intern at the Commerzbank (major bank in Germany).

Do I just apply to UCAS? Do I have to choose a college or something when I first apply? or is that only for later?

Would gladly appreciate help! thanks!
Reply 36
Hello! I'm not from the UK but I have spent large amounts of time studying the Prospectus. Apparently, we apply through UCAS and we do not HAVE to pick a college. We can make an open application, which doesn't in any way lessen our chances of getting in. E&M is a VERY competitive program, but it's not one I've looked at so I can't tell you what your chances are. I recommend just looking at the International Qualifications. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/international_qualifications/index.html
Reply 37
Thanks! :smile: that helps :smile: But IF I do pick a college, does it affect my chances of getting in? Would I have a better chance selecting a college that accepts more students for E&M rather than a smaller college accepting less students for E&M?
Original post by Chunif
Thanks! :smile: that helps :smile: But IF I do pick a college, does it affect my chances of getting in? Would I have a better chance selecting a college that accepts more students for E&M rather than a smaller college accepting less students for E&M?

No because the University operates a pooling system whereby any college can interview capable candidates if there isn't space at one college - so it all levels out really - if one college has more places then more candidates will probably be be pooled there.
Reply 39
Original post by Chunif

One thing you need to bear in mind is that E&M is a very small course. So you're really talking about the difference between a college accepting 2-3 students, as opposed to 1-2. Also, as qwertyuiop1993 said, you're not just up against the people who applied directly to that college but against anyone they interview (possibly even some they don't interview).
Trying to play numbers games is a bit pointless, really, especially since E&M is generally oversubscribed, but if you're worried that you'll accidentally end up applying to the college which happens to be the most oversubscribed of the lot that year, you could do what nearly a third of all E&M applicants do and make an open application. That way you'll get allocated to one of the marginally less oversubscribed colleges. It won't improve your chances of getting an offer, but it will slightly improve your chances that if you get an offer it will be from the college which you were interviewed at, and which you'll probably have grown to like at the end of the interview period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending