The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

My god there is a lot of **** posing as 'great'.

1) The Godfather-so ****ing boring. You'd think they would do something other than just sitting in a room around a table. So slow. The acting isn't even that good. The don sounds like he's got cotton balls in his mouth. Oh wait that because he has! Had to use subtitles to understand what is being said. Terrible.

2) LOTR part1-so long and ridiculous. Every character speaks in an exaggerated fashion.

3) Wall_E- The only reason people like this is because they are in some sort of mid-life crises and think that it touches their childhood in someway. In reality there is nothing here. Same with Spirited Away which is just a rip off of Alison in Wonderland and not a very good one.

4. Requiem for a Dream. **** me is this bad. There's not enough plot to last the 12 hours that this film feels like so they fill it with stupid camera shots. Film could had been half as long. Trainspotting wasn't much better either.

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device. Grave of the Fireflies is FAAR superior.

6. Princess Monoke. I actually like Studio Ghibli. I really do. However, there is so much going on in this film and with so little focus that it's hard to care about how it comes together. Just because a plot is complicated or diverse doesn't mean it's great.

7. The King's speech. I dont have anything against it. I can't really fault it on any aspect. It's just kind of there. If this was on ITV without the hype, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the rest of the average films they show. It's not bad, it's just nothing to get excited about.

8. Groundhog Day. The morale of the story is really ****ed up but in an unobvious way. Throughout the film I just kept thinking what the main character did wrong to deserve such a fate (the day repeats over and over). The guy isn't a rapist, a murderer or a drug dealer. He is just an average grumpy guy. He doesn't use his knowledge of no consequences to kill anybody or rape anybody. He didn't deserve it.

9. Avatar. ****ing terrible. Never been so uncomfortable watching a film before. The 3d was crap and the plot and dialogue was even worse. Oh but look at the pretty graphics!

10. The Fighter. I like Christian Bale. Good actor. But the characters themselves just ****ing annoy me. It's like listening to a family argue in a resteraunt. Really annoying.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by y2k1
1) The Godfather

Go away
Reply 2
You must have terrible taste in films.
Wall-E
Godfather
LOTR.
Kings Speech.

You've listed some of the (voted) best films ever .

I don't like every film that has been rated as very good, but that doesn't mean i'm such a naive up-my-own-ass kid that thinks they are overrated .
(edited 12 years ago)
Duude what films do you like if you hate those?
I agree with avatar. A friend asked my 'how could I think it was bad when all the effects were so good?' My reply? A turd is still a turd even if it's got sprinkles on it :colonhash:
I sort of agree with Pan's Labyrinth. I mean, it is a good film, but I never got hooked on to the storyline. Again, I think it was just me. However, the others, :curious:
(edited 12 years ago)
Slumdog Millionaire....omg british director omg danny boyle omg british film omg
Reply 7
Napoleon Dynamite. WTF even is it.
Reply 8
Original post by battycatlady
Duude what films do you like if you hate those?

Moon
Donnie Darko
Terminator 2
Toy Story (esp 2+3)
Inception
The Dark Knight
Reply 9
One of the worst argued posts I've ever seen.
I'll add The Hangover. I didn't find it absolutely hilarious in the way that other people went on about it.
Reply 11
how the hell is Groundhog Day overrated??
Reply 12
Lord of The Rings.
Reply 13
Original post by AndyD66
how the hell is Groundhog Day overrated??

Because the main character didn't deserve his punishment. He was pretty much blackmailed by fate to being a 'better' person.
Reply 14
But... but... how could you possibly hate Wall-E? :cry2:
Reply 15
I didn't like Avatar. It was pretty crap. The rest though on the list are very good.
Original post by fran.ha

Brilliant, that's what it is
Reply 17
Original post by adamrules247
I agree with avatar. A friend asked my 'how could I think it was bad when all the effects were so good?' My reply? A turd is still a turd even if it's got sprinkles on it :colonhash:

Although I wouldn't go as far as to compare Avatar directly to a turd, I'd argue that it felt like a film that was all about style over substance and was, thus, overrated.

Original post by fran.ha

I've never understood the appeal, personally. It all seems to stem from him being really, really weird, but it isn't done in a clever or subtle - or even funny - way.

Original post by IlexBlue
But... but... how could you possibly hate Wall-E? :cry2:

I didn't hate it, but I struggle to understand its mass appeal. For me, I struggled to care enough about the whistling robot for the first half an hour when almost nothing was happening to become involved in the film to any extent.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
I'll add The Hangover. I didn't find it absolutely hilarious in the way that other people went on about it.

Did you not understand the jokes? :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by adamrules247

:rofl3:

But seriously though, I loved avatar :smile:

Pan's Labryinth....god I hated that film.

Quick Reply