The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
You didn't come across as a d*ck to me. You came across as someone indignant at coming up against a financial barrier to the most competitive law schools. But that's the thing. As you say, they are the most prestigious. But in the law world, prestige = employment, employment = popularity, and popularity = lots of straight-A students. So it's a mere matter of logistics from the universities' point of view. They needed another measure.

The problem with law is that it is a very old fashioned profession, complete with many backward views. As such, it can become a bit like an old boys club, where Eton/Oxbridge grads may collect and bask in their own magnificence. Or at least that's the way it seems. But nothing will be gained by resigning yourself to that view.

So, where are you applying in the end?

Haven't quite decided yet to be honest, I'm thinking Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Sussex and maybe Robert Gordon because even though it may not be a 'top' university I love the idea of Aberdeen. I'm going to guess you're either a Law Student or about to become one (?) Where did you apply?
Hey all,

I was accepted onto an access course last week (starting in September :woo:) and I'm applying for Law (2012 entry) too, so I thought I'd just drop into the thread and say "Hi".
Hey guys, I am applying for law for 2012 as well. Read through most of the threads, seems to me that there's no sign of people doing the IB... :s
I'm doing the IB and get predicted around 40.
My GCSE's results were fine - 6A*4A and am thinking of applying to the followings (still have to eliminate some)
- Oxford
- LSE
- Nottingham
- Leeds
- Queen Mary (as they don't require LNAT, so if I messed up the test, at least I could still hold hopes for this!)
- KCL

Any suggestions to this list? Oxford is kind of unrealistic I know, just wanna try it out. How about the rest? Any comments on Queen Mary, as this is the one I'm really unsure of!
Any help would be great. Thanks!
Original post by brasenose2012
Hey guys, I am applying for law for 2012 as well. Read through most of the threads, seems to me that there's no sign of people doing the IB... :s

Out of curiousity, what is the IB? I've heard of it but never known what it was.
Original post by digestives

Original post by digestives
Can anyone recommend interesting law books that I could lend for the library? I'm still deciding whether I want to do law or English, and I would really appreciate some books to read that would help me decide if law interests me. Thanks :smile:

John Grisham's novels... apart from the textbooks.

BTW how would you prepare for LNAT? do they provide proper practice books like for SAT or what?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by aysha.19
Do they really consider O levels result along with A levels result and LNAT?
Does anyone know the weightage scheme?

On LSE's website they specifically said that a string of good grades at GCSE is required for entry to LLB. Apart from this Manchester requires 5A (including English) at GCSE.
Reply 146
Original post by BritainPersonified
Out of curiousity, what is the IB? I've heard of it but never known what it was.

You do six subjects: 2 languages, maths, a science, humanities and an option. Each subject is marked out of 7 based on your final exam and coursework (also known as IA - internal assessment). Three additional marks are awarded for CAS (extracurricular activities - you need 150 hours for the diploma), TOK ("how to study"/philosophy) and EE (a 4,000 words extended essay in one of your chosen subjects).
Reply 147
Hey everyone!

I'm currently thinking of:

Oxford
Nottingham
Bristol
Sussex
Warwick or Southampton

GCSE's were okay, 7A*s 3As
Anyone think that I'm aiming too high? :s
Reply 148
I am looking to study law or law with french out of some of the following
oxbridge
nottingham
warwick
bham
bristol
durham
leeds
ucl

I got 9 A* and 2 As at GCSE, and I will end up with 5 a-levels, predicted an A* or 2.

I really want to go to oxbridge but I have no idea how to rate my chances as law at these places are ridiculously competitive and I am really worried about the LNAT because if I muck that up, I will be in trouble

can anyone give me some advice or rate my chances?
thanks
Original post by J.Darren
You do six subjects: 2 languages, maths, a science, humanities and an option. Each subject is marked out of 7 based on your final exam and coursework (also known as IA - internal assessment). Three additional marks are awarded for CAS (extracurricular activities - you need 150 hours for the diploma), TOK ("how to study"/philosophy) and EE (a 4,000 words extended essay in one of your chosen subjects).

Ah right thanks :smile: It almost sounds a bit like Standard Grade qualifications in Scotland apart from the CAS and Extended Essay. We have to do 2 languages (one being english), maths, a science, a social science (which I guess is a humanity) and then we get to pick three options where you can pick additional arts, social sciences, sciences or a practical craft. Then we have folio's in most of those subjects which is like our coursework.
Reply 150
Something interesting about the LNAT to ponder: at the Cambridge open day Dr Rosy Thornton said Cambridge dropped the LNAT because their data showed a very slight *negative* correlation between LNAT results and Tripos exam results.
Original post by brasenose2012
My GCSE's results were fine - 6A*4A and am thinking of applying to the followings (still have to eliminate some)
- Oxford
- LSE
- Nottingham
- Leeds
- Queen Mary (as they don't require LNAT, so if I messed up the test, at least I could still hold hopes for this!)
- KCL

Any suggestions to this list? Oxford is kind of unrealistic I know, just wanna try it out. How about the rest? Any comments on Queen Mary, as this is the one I'm really unsure of!

Needs an A* for 2012 entry.
Hey Guys

Lot of talk about avoiding LNAT uni's.

I just want to point out that you can apply to three of the top law schools in the uk with amazing job prospects and reps quite easily.

You can gofor

Cambridge
LSE
Warwick

All with top reputations within the MC firms and generally for law.

Further you can have quite respectable back ups in the form of QMUL, Lanacaster, and Manchester.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE TE LNAT TO GET INTO A PRESTIGIOUS LAW SCHOOL. THE TOP THRE IN THIS LIST ILLUSTRATE THAT.
Reply 153
Is there anyone else who IS actually looking at doing the LNAT? Durham and Manchester are both on my list of unis I want to get into, so I think it'll be worthwhile.
Original post by Jockie
Is there anyone else who IS actually looking at doing the LNAT? Durham and Manchester are both on my list of unis I want to get into, so I think it'll be worthwhile.

I am. I'm not one to take the easy way out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Junaid16
I am. I'm not one to take the easy way out.

How is not taking the LNAT, the "east way out"? :confused:

I just don't have £50 floating around to pay for it.
Reply 156
Original post by katy_did

why none in London???
kings?
UCL ?
LSE??

Original post by katy_did
Hey everyone!

I'm currently thinking of:

Oxford
Nottingham
Bristol
Sussex
Warwick or Southampton

GCSE's were okay, 7A*s 3As
Anyone think that I'm aiming too high? :s
Reply 157

John Grisham's novels... apart from the textbooks.

BTW how would you prepare for LNAT? do they provide proper practice books like for SAT or what?

do law
english is pointless...unless you want to be a journalist...
or then spend money doing a law conversion course...
Reply 158
Has anyone started their applications yet?

I've been lurking on the UCAS 2012 thread and loads of people have but my school haven't done anything yet.
Original post by racaha
Has anyone started their applications yet?

I've been lurking on the UCAS 2012 thread and loads of people have but my school haven't done anything yet.

I keep meaning to have a look through that... I've personally done some lurking on sites with exemplar Law Personal Statements to see what universities are looking for and how to structure them. My Guidance Teacher advised us that we should start writing our Personal Statements during the Summer Holiday, but it wasn't like we got any help or Guidance on the subject. :P

Quick Reply

Latest