The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by issyconnor
I am aware that I could easily get rejected and I am prepared for that.

But if (or when?) I do get rejected at least I will know that I spent years trying and I truly believe the effort will have made me a more stronger and determined person :smile:

People will laugh, and I will get negged, but I don't care. I've worked hard at school to maintain perfect grades and I have hours doing charity work and extra-curricular's just so I can even be considered by Oxford University.

Really? You've been spending hours on this stuff "just to be considered by Oxford"?
Original post by tooambitious
Ok fair enough :smile:. What do you want to apply for? I'm thinking e&m I'm doing a levels in double maths, econ and French, you?

For AS level, I'm doing Maths, Latin, English Lit., Chemistry and Physics. For university I'm considering either Physics or English Literature.
Original post by such_a_lady
Really? You've been spending hours on this stuff "just to be considered by Oxford"?

And other universities as well. Warwick, Trinity College Dublin, University College London, Bristol. I've also done it because charity work is a nice thing to do :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
charity work and extra-curricular activity don't matter when it comes to oxbridge
For AS level, I'm doing Maths, Latin, English Lit., Chemistry and Physics. For university I'm considering either Physics or English Literature.

Nice subjects, haha I'm not great at sciences :tongue:, but good luck with everything
Original post by tooambitious
Nice subjects, haha I'm not great at sciences :tongue:, but good luck with everything

Thank you. It's nice to see some decent people on TSR who don't take a thread as an opportunity to be rude to a random stranger or act funny :smile:
Thank you. It's nice to see some decent people on TSR who don't take a thread as an opportunity to be rude to a random stranger or act funny :smile:

Just to reiterate - extra curricular stuff will not matter for Oxford.

If you enjoy it, then fair enough - just don't overstretch yourself in feeling you need to do loads of extra curricular activities to get you noticed by Oxford - they couldn't care less.

'Perfect grades' are a start - though not everything. passion for your subject/suitability for the course/teaching style are just as (if not more) important.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Just to reiterate - extra curricular stuff will not matter for Oxford.

If you enjoy it, then fair enough - just don't overstretch yourself in feeling you need to do loads of extra curricular activities to get you noticed by Oxford - they couldn't care less.

'Perfect grades' are a start - though not everything. passion for your subject/suitability for the course/teaching style are just as (if not more) important.

Thank you for the advice.:redface:
Reply 28
Thank you for the advice.:redface:

A lot of people have said that extracurriculars are pointless for Oxbridge - whilst this is true, I recommend you do it anyway, because if you don't get into Oxford (which, as everyone knows, is a slim chance) other universities love it.

Also, it is best to pick your subject after starting A-levels/whatever you're doing; you'll probably find yourself changing your mind a lot after beginning A-levels. The jump from GCSE is a large one, and once you start doing A-levels you may realise that certain subjects you 'used' to be good at, you can no longer do very well.

I hope you don't take this offensively, I'm just trying to explain that subjects change a lot after GCSE. I didn't have a sense of direction after GCSE because I got A*/A in everything, but once I started the IB it was much easier to tell which subjects I was best at, and which I lacked in. Of course, if you have a particular passion for a subject, that's awesome.
Original post by k3ro
A lot of people have said that extracurriculars are pointless for Oxbridge - whilst this is true, I recommend you do it anyway, because if you don't get into Oxford (which, as everyone knows, is a slim chance) other universities love it.

Also, it is best to pick your subject after starting A-levels/whatever you're doing; you'll probably find yourself changing your mind a lot after beginning A-levels. The jump from GCSE is a large one, and once you start doing A-levels you may realise that certain subjects you 'used' to be good at, you can no longer do very well.

I hope you don't take this offensively, I'm just trying to explain that subjects change a lot after GCSE. I didn't have a sense of direction after GCSE because I got A*/A in everything, but once I started the IB it was much easier to tell which subjects I was best at, and which I lacked in. Of course, if you have a particular passion for a subject, that's awesome.

Thank you. :smile:

I love Physics. Always have done. It's not one of those things where I only like it because I did well at GCSE. I really do find the subject fascinating and read around it as much as I can.

By the way, do you happen to know why Oxford do not care for extra-curricular activities and charity work?
Oh, and you might want to decide pretty soon because Physics and Lit are TOTALLY different, and you'll need to start your reading and stuff quite soonish. If it were choosing between History and Lit, then fine, but Physics and Lit...you'll need to make your mind up!

Also, I used to be just like you, hoping that I'd do enough to stand out to Oxford, which was my DREAM. Then the tuition fee bombshell hit and I gave up all hope of studying here, instead researching German and American unis. It took a while for my teachers and parents to make me realise that actually, the tuition fees aren't as bad as they sound, and by then, OXford had been rationalised as a damn good (and very beautiful) place to study, rather than the be-all and end-all of life. The subject should be your passion, not the university, even though for me it feels like Oxford applications are taking over my life! I'd also love to go to Durham or St. Andrew's, so I won't be one of those people who reapply the next year (assuming I actually get other offers!!), thank goodness. All I'm saying is, make sure you keep up to date with stuff about Oxford applications. Lots of teachers still say that ECs are super important, but if you ask any tutor they'll tell you the opposite, unless it's relevant. Qwerty and co would be better to ask than me, as I'm still applying myself, but I believe I'm correct...

Make sure you look into random obscure courses as well; something different might catch your eye, something different from the normal "school" subjects :smile:
Reply 31

I love Physics. Always have done. It's not one of those things where I only like it because I did well at GCSE. I really do find the subject fascinating and read around it as much as I can.

By the way, do you happen to know why Oxford do not care for extra-curricular activities and charity work?

After some digging, I found the original news article. :smile: You should read 'em, they'd help:
Original: http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6055922
Additional Note: http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6056959

Hope that helps! Basically, do a ton of stuff that's relevant to your subject. :wink:

And it's cool that you're interested in physics. I did it at higher level at the IB and, although challenging, I love it! Going to study it this September. :biggrin:

This is representative of the University as a whole:

Mr Nicholson told the Times Educational Supplement: "It really doesn't matter if you haven't got any friends or hobbies or if you don't do any charitable work ...[Acceptance] is a purely academic judgement."
He said universities were only interested in "enthused, engaged and excellent" candidates, rather than "second-rate historians who happen to play the flute".
His emphasis on in-depth academic knowledge could slow the tide of applications to Oxford, the latest application statistics suggest.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html

Wooo, it doesn't matter if you don't have friends! :biggrin:
Wooo, it doesn't matter if you don't have friends! :biggrin:

You get some real characters at interview. One girl applying for Classics was totally antisocial. She only came into the JCR to check her interview times and she had this massive puffy coat. She'd shuffle in with a glare on her face and then whisper angrily to herself when she discovered she didn't have an extra interview (She had two the first day but they kept her a whole week with nothing to do).

She mentioned it had been her birthday the other day and someone said "Oh that's good" and she retorted "NO...NOT GOOD". I suppose being among strangers for your birthday is quite crappy - I hope she got in, she waited long enough :biggrin:
Reply 35
I totally agree with what this thread is all about, and great to see people on a similar wavelength to myself; in fact it's been slightly inspirational, so thank you. :smile:
Original post by Finch911
I totally agree with what this thread is all about, and great to see people on a similar wavelength to myself; in fact it's been slightly inspirational, so thank you. :smile:

Thank you for being nice :smile:
Reply 37
For the whole time up until 6th form I thought I wanted to do geography, I then started my ASs and realised that psychology was my thing, this then shaped my out-of-syllabus reading and which unis I looked at. Oxford may be good, but it's not the best for every subject. So take some time to realise which subject you truly want to be studying. Also, go visit the uni at some point as you get a proper 'feel' for a place when you go visit that you may not get from researching about the place. Remember that some unis aren't for everyone and this is still the case with oxford and cambridge even with their reputation.

Once you know exactly what course you want to be doing, then read around the subject as much as you can - immerse yourself in the subject and become a geek for the subject as it's your thing and will probably dictate how your life will pan out in the future.

I was also one of those people that thought that oxford was the be-all and end-all, but after I failed my ASs I gave up on the hope of getting in and didn't bother, so yes, it is a little early. But it's always good to have direction in your life and to have a 'prize' for you to achieve.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
You get some real characters at interview. One girl applying for Classics was totally antisocial. She only came into the JCR to check her interview times and she had this massive puffy coat. She'd shuffle in with a glare on her face and then whisper angrily to herself when she discovered she didn't have an extra interview (She had two the first day but they kept her a whole week with nothing to do).

She mentioned it had been her birthday the other day and someone said "Oh that's good" and she retorted "NO...NOT GOOD". I suppose being among strangers for your birthday is quite crappy - I hope she got in, she waited long enough :biggrin:

Oh dear, do let me know if you see her :tongue:

Original post by skotch
For the whole time up until 6th form I thought I wanted to do geography, I then started my ASs and realised that psychology was my thing, this then shaped my out-of-syllabus reading and which unis I looked at. Oxford may be good, but it's not the best for every subject. So take some time to realise which subject you truly want to be studying. Also, go visit the uni at some point as you get a proper 'feel' for a place when you go visit that you may not get from researching about the place. Remember that some unis aren't for everyone and this is still the case with oxford and cambridge even with their reputation.

Once you know exactly what course you want to be doing, then read around the subject as much as you can - immerse yourself in the subject and become a geek for the subject as it's your thing and will probably dictate how your life will pan out in the future.

I was also one of those people that thought that oxford was the be-all and end-all, but after I failed my ASs I gave up on the hope of getting in and didn't bother, so yes, it is a little early. But it's always good to have direction in your life and to have a 'prize' for you to achieve.

Wow, what's Bristol like? Like the area and accomm? :smile:
Reply 39
Wow, what's Bristol like? Like the area and accomm? :smile:

I love it, it's got the perfect mix of academia and social stuff. The accomodation is all quite standard tbh. Everyone I've met her has been really nice as well.

Obviously you do get some rah-y types, but that's expected at any top university.

The city is also amazing for shopping.

Sounds a little strange, but all the buildings are really nice too. Check out the Wills Memorial Building (law/earth sciences) and the Victoria Rooms (music).

What course are you going for?

Latest