The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Salford freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catherine13
Does anyone know anything about The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship that Salford offers?

Do you get it all at once or is it split throughout the year like the maintenance loan is?

It also says you have to complete the PN1 form to receive it. Is that just the usual form you fill out for Maintenance/Tuition Fees?

Source

The Vice Chancellor's Scholarship is paid in 2 instalments - £500 in February and £500 in May/June.
You get this for up to 3 years, however, you do have to make sure you have decent attendance, and are passing all your modules to receive it.

You have to attain AAB or better in your A-Levels (or equivalent) to be eligible.

I've always done my student finance applications on paper, but there's a box that you don't tick. It says something like "Please tick this box if you do not wish your information to be shared for other forms of financial support or bursaries" (or something like that, I can't remember).

When you receive your financial info from student finance, the Salford bursary won't show up on it - because Salford pay it separately, and send you out a different letter to inform you about it. So even though it's not listed on the student finance payment dates letter, you will receive it.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
I'm going into my final year of my degree at Salford in September, so should be able to help answer some questions.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Hi everybody! My name's Lorna, hopefully starting at Salford this year to do journalism and I think I'll be at Eddie Coleman. :smile:

Add me on facebook at www.facebook.com/kellett3 x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DarkShadows
The Vice Chancellor's Scholarship is paid in 2 instalments - £500 in February and £500 in May/June.
You get this for up to 3 years, however, you do have to make sure you have decent attendance, and are passing all your modules to receive it.

You have to attain AAB or better in your A-Levels (or equivalent) to be eligible.

I've always done my student finance applications on paper, but there's a box that you don't tick. It says something like "Please tick this box if you do not wish your information to be shared for other forms of financial support or bursaries" (or something like that, I can't remember).

When you receive your financial info from student finance, the Salford bursary won't show up on it - because Salford pay it separately, and send you out a different letter to inform you about it. So even though it's not listed on the student finance payment dates letter, you will receive it.

Hope this helps.

I'm going into my final year of my degree at Salford in September, so should be able to help answer some questions.

Thank you!
You've answered everything I wanted to know.
I mainly was wondering when the money was given out. Thanks again!
(I already know that I have equivalent of AAA)
Reply 103
Original post by DarkShadows

Hope this helps.

Do you know if that's available for students from other EU countries?
Popular music and recording this year, think I'm in Constantine accommodation. Are a lot of you coming from around the country?? Should be a right good laugh
Reply 105
Original post by Jessmay1405

I'm starting in September and doing media production to :biggrin:
Original post by HassanKhan_786
I'm doing Journalism & Broadcasting too. Are either of you on facebook by any chance? Media City apartments are very pricy for a 1st year. My mate is in his 3rd year & even he's struggling to afford one!!!

I am indeed http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=602838836 .
Yea I like the look of them but I doubt I could afford one. But hey, maybe I'll get lucky and get a great paid internship... but let's be honest, that's not happening!
Reply 107
Anyone studying anything Psychology related? Find SUPS (Salford University Psychology Society) on facebook and join the group! Bar crawls, film nights, Go Ape, and more, all coming next year :smile:
Reply 108
Anyone going to do physics? (In particular, physics with studies in North America.)

I've received an unofficial offer (clearing) so hopefully everything will go well and I'll see you all in September! Wish me luck (I need to ask my firm/insurance choices to release me first). :biggrin:
I saw this email and thought I best post it incase you guys didn't get it or what not. You all seem pretty confident that you know where you'll be living but check this out;

Dear Student

Thank you for applying for accommodation with the University of Salford.
We are receiving high volumes of applications at this time and are currently oversubscribed which means we cannot guarantee to offer a room to every new applicant.
We therefore strongly recommend you make an application with our partner company Campus Living Villages to avoid disappointment. If you make an application with them you will have the distinct advantage of being guaranteed accommodation if you apply before 1st September and have confirmed your offer of study at Salford.
You will also receive all of the benefits of living in University or Partner accommodation including:
" Convenient locations with free connecting bus service to all campuses
" Inclusive utility bills
" Free broadband internet access on the University network
" 24 hour or evening security provision
" Resident Life Support Officers/Resident Assistants/Senior Residents' Support providing weekend and out of hours assistance
" On site maintenance and office support
" Free contents insurance to the value of £3500
" Free membership of the Sports Centre (£20.00 activation fee applies)
" Free parking is available
You can apply for accommodation from the comfort of your home. Campus Living Villages has a fully automated application system and all rooms are booked on line.
Further details you can view Campus Living Villages website by going directly to their homepage http://www.salfordstudentvillage.com/
If you have any questions you can contact Campus Living Villages directly:
T 0161 295 5956
E [email protected]
Kind regards

Wendy Congleton
Customer Liaison Manager

I was pretty confused because on the website Bramall is listed but I've already applied for it and also I thought JohnLester was nurse acomm??
Anyone applied to this separately?
Reply 110
Original post by kylaaaaa
Performing Arts anyone?

Yes indeedy!

Pete
Reply 111
I applied for my accomodation at some point in May and have recieved nothing back...presumably I should have got the e-mail above? Also I've done a BTec course and the teacher says that UCAS automatically send the results to the Uni, but when I rang admissions they said the hadn't recieved them...:confused:
Reply 112
Original post by IamnotJessica

I was pretty confused because on the website Bramall is listed but I've already applied for it and also I thought JohnLester was nurse acomm??
Anyone applied to this separately?

If you look on Salford's website (here: http://www.accommodation.salford.ac.uk/accommodation_locations) you'll see that John Lester is listed for both undergrad and postgrad; it doesn't specify just nurses. :smile: (I may be wrong, but I haven't seen it specify 'nurses only' anywhere else before.)
Original post by Blainey
I applied for my accomodation at some point in May and have recieved nothing back...presumably I should have got the e-mail above? Also I've done a BTec course and the teacher says that UCAS automatically send the results to the Uni, but when I rang admissions they said the hadn't recieved them...:confused:

Until you get your offer you don't get an offer for accom. You will get your final acceptance offer on results day like everyone else. I did a mix of A-levels and BTEC and although you leave knowing what grade you have in your BTEC it needs to be verified and so the uni don't know your grade till results day =].
Original post by RitaF
Do you know if that's available for students from other EU countries?

Apologies for the late reply.
It doesn't specify UK only on the site, however, I would email and enquire via [email protected] or (your best bet) to telephone: 0161 295 0023
Reply 115
John Lester isn't a nursing only accomodation, but it does contain a high number of nursing students. They tend to be placed in the same flats due to their placements throughout the year. But anyone can apply. They don't choose applicants based on what coursw theyre doing, they just tend to put the nursing student in JL instead of EC!
Hi! I'll be coming to Salford this september to study for a Master's degree in Petroleum & Gas Engineering :smile: Any prospective Petroleum Engineer?
Hi! I'll be coming to salford this september to study for a master's degree in petroleum & gas engineering :smile: Any prospective petroleum engineer?
Reply 118
I am starting in September, doing aircraft engineering with pilot studies. Is anyone else on the same course
My offer from Salford has turned into Unconditional now they have received my results.

Do I need to do anything else?
I know that I have also got enough to get into my insurance but I know I just want to go to Salford, so do I just leave it and just turn up to Salford in September now it says my place has been confirmed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending