The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by @Sean43
Okay so im revising for ukcat from 600 q book..but im getting annoyed off because it takes me 3.5 minutes to do the first 2 parts of a quantitative reasoning question and end up guessing3 4 5 6 and this lowers my score..it takes 2 minutes to read these questions and understand what to do..then u have 1 minute 30 seconds to answer 6 questions!!! or even 7-8 at times ..is it just me or does everyone struggle with this..or is it just this book because i haven't seen the actual questions in the ukcat or a past paper before! Please help out! also what calculator do i get in the ukcat test? a scientific one? Thanks for all the help!

I have the same problem with QR timing, but appaarently the questions are easier in the real test so we should be able to cope with time better then.
You get an onscreen basic calculator. :smile:
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed help with AR, improving slowly on QR
Reply 442
Which is the right answer here? I think its can't tell but these kinds of questions always confuse me with VR.

Passage:
In 2008, a report from the NHS Information Centre from the National Child Measurement Programme indicated that 23% of British children aged four to five and 31% of those aged ten to eleven were overweight or obese. The research was conducted through a weighing programme in schools, estimated to have reached approximately 80% of British school children at these ages. The study was a much-needed step in the government’s £372 million obesity strategy aimed at addressing rampant obesity in Britain and its affect on a number of other health conditions including diabetes.

The past few years have indeed seen a rise in cases of diabetes, and particularly Type 2 diabetes, in Britain. Previously, doctors considered those over 40 years of age to be at high risk for the disease, but, increasingly, young people are being diagnosed. Studies by university-based scientists estimate that at least 1,000 British children have Type 2 diabetes, some as young as seven years old. These
statistics are directly related to the so-named “obesity epidemic” in this country.

Question/Statement: Fewer than 1,000 British children have Type 2 diabetes.
Reply 443
Original post by Girl.
So if you don't do the UKCAT your application will still be considered and you stand as good a chance as anyone else?
(Assuming I have understood correctly) I would say don't do it.
Out of curiosity, where would you have to go to sit the test?

Yes, that's what the website says so :redface:

If I really want to take the test, I'd have to go to another country to do the test which will be both pretty annoying and expensive
Reply 444
Original post by ChemistryProNOT
I'm not too sure how this works but surely if you will still be considered by all med schools, even those that often have high "cut off" scores for the UKCAT, then why would you want to sit the UKCAT and possibly not achieve a particularly high score and then narrow your choice of University?

Thanks, I think it makes sense not to take the risk :biggrin:
Could some nice person tell me if 2600 would be hard to get??

Long story but I have been told by Dundee Uni if I get 2600 in the UKCAT they will speak to me about whether I can apply or not (I'm a dundee uni graduate with a 2.2 wanting to do the premed year so i've begged them to consider me for 2012 and thats what they have come back with).

Ta muck in advance!:biggrin:
Reply 446
Original post by summersniki
Could some nice person tell me if 2600 would be hard to get??

Long story but I have been told by Dundee Uni if I get 2600 in the UKCAT they will speak to me about whether I can apply or not (I'm a dundee uni graduate with a 2.2 wanting to do the premed year so i've begged them to consider me for 2012 and thats what they have come back with).

Ta muck in advance!:biggrin:

2600 equates to an average of 650 across all 4 sections. That is about an average score. :smile:
Original post by total2009
Which is the right answer here? I think its can't tell but these kinds of questions always confuse me with VR.

Passage:
In 2008, a report from the NHS Information Centre from the National Child Measurement Programme indicated that 23% of British children aged four to five and 31% of those aged ten to eleven were overweight or obese. The research was conducted through a weighing programme in schools, estimated to have reached approximately 80% of British school children at these ages. The study was a much-needed step in the government’s £372 million obesity strategy aimed at addressing rampant obesity in Britain and its affect on a number of other health conditions including diabetes.

The past few years have indeed seen a rise in cases of diabetes, and particularly Type 2 diabetes, in Britain. Previously, doctors considered those over 40 years of age to be at high risk for the disease, but, increasingly, young people are being diagnosed. Studies by university-based scientists estimate that at least 1,000 British children have Type 2 diabetes, some as young as seven years old. These
statistics are directly related to the so-named “obesity epidemic” in this country.

I would go for the can't tell option on this one...even though it mentions that scientists "estimate" the figure to be "atleast 1,000"..it is not a definate figure and only an estimate,thus,imo its cant tell.
Original post by Beska
2600 equates to an average of 650 across all 4 sections. That is about an average score. :smile:

That seems not too bad, I was going to sit one of the practice tests on the website but because it doesn't tell you what you got in terms of 600, 650, 500, etc I'm not sure if its worth it.. I did the short test and did not too badly, would just love to know how to calculate it into the bigger results!:confused:
Reply 449
Original post by summersniki
That seems not too bad, I was going to sit one of the practice tests on the website but because it doesn't tell you what you got in terms of 600, 650, 500, etc I'm not sure if its worth it.. I did the short test and did not too badly, would just love to know how to calculate it into the bigger results!:confused:

You can't. :p: There's no real way to predict what you're likely to get on the real thing - you just need to make sure you're as comfortable as possible at answering the questions in the four different sections, and then hope for the best on the day. :smile:
Original post by Girl.
So if you don't do the UKCAT your application will still be considered and you stand as good a chance as anyone else?
(Assuming I have understood correctly) I would say don't do it.
Out of curiosity, where would you have to go to sit the test?

Original post by ChemistryProNOT
I'm not too sure how this works but surely if you will still be considered by all med schools, even those that often have high "cut off" scores for the UKCAT, then why would you want to sit the UKCAT and possibly not achieve a particularly high score and then narrow your choice of University?

The UKCAT is a requirement by lots of unis (see the medicine wiki for specific unis). If you don't sit it then apply to a UKCAT-requiring uni your application will go in the bin.

test locations are on the ukcat web site
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 451

Passage:

is the answer FALSE - thats what i would have put!!

Passage:

I'm going with "can't tell"

Reason: It's an estimate therefore hasn't been proven as true or disproven :h:

But I'm just human too (ish) so you best check with the answers :yep:

EDIT: Has anyone taken the test and gotten results yet?
Reply 453
Original post by abdkam
is the answer FALSE - thats what i would have put!!

Can't tell, it says it's an estimate so isn't fact. :smile:

Though it could be false... as it says they've estimated that at least 1,000 children have it.

..................I hate VR. :mad:
Abstract, why art thou so hard?
Reply 455

Passage:

Can't tell- it's only an estimate and therefore you cannot be certain. :u:
I'd say false. Paragraph says, " estimate that at least 1,000 " and question says "fewer than 1000". I'm taking it as false as at least implies minimum 1000 whereas fewer than 1000 is a definite.
Original post by sweetchilli
I'd say false. Paragraph says, " estimate that at least 1,000 " and question says "fewer than 1000". I'm taking it as false as at least implies minimum 1000 whereas fewer than 1000 is a definite.

But it is only an estimate based on a sample group prediction made by the sample.
So it could be less
So you can't 100% be sure
So i'd go can't tell.
Reply 458
I managed to survive doing the UKCAT last week, I got an average of 660 which I'm happy with :smile: I was really worried about quantitative reasoning before I went but it turned out to not be that bad (700), definitely a lot easier than the 600 book as many of the calculations can be done in your head, my technique was to guess any questions that seemed like they might take a lot of time so that I could focus on getting the easier (and shorter) ones all correct. Verbal reasoning is probably about the same level as the book, I found the timing quite hard since the passages were so long and I think I was probably pretty nervous doing it since it was the first section. Abstract reasoning was fine, doing loads of practice in the 600 book definitely helps a lot in this. With decision analysis make sure that you practice the codes in both directions an equal amount since I got loads more questions on picking a suitable code for a phrase than I was expecting. All the best everyone :-)
Reply 459
I will post a question, either from the 600Q Book, practice tests or from an online passage - and we can attempt to answer it and pick it to pieces. :biggrin:

We will beat VR...

Q1.

(FROM This site) *The previous question was a practice one :tongue:)

Playing music, as well as listening to it, can help you focus your thoughts. Music can help you create art and inventions, brainstorm ideas, and solve problems. Several scientists, writers and artists have used music to help them learn, think through problems and get inspired. Albert Einstein played a violin while he mulled over physics problems.

Q1) Albert Einstein was a famous physicist.
Q2) Listening to music can help your creativity.
Q3) Playing music cannot help people to focus.
Q4) All scientists choose to use music to help them learn or solve problems.

Answer A) True, B) False, C) Can't tell - in the boxes below:

My Answers/Tips/Clues for Question 1

Spoiler

Actual answers:

Spoiler

Hopefully this will be useful and not just a massive fail!

New questions posted daily! :biggrin:

Do not discuss this year's UKCAT questions!

Previous Questions:
Q1. 20/07/2011
Q2. 21/07/2011
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending