The Student Room Group

Learning Anatomy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _lynx_
:awesome:

I wish I had synaesthesia :sad:

It's not as helpful as I'd like. Too many of my letters are yellow. (C, E, M, N, sort of U, and Y). I can't learn the definition for clinical governance because the last bit is just a yellow blur ("...care by creating an environment in which excellence in clinical care will flourish)
Reply 41
Original post by xylophonefairy
It's not as helpful as I'd like. Too many of my letters are yellow. (C, E, M, N, sort of U, and Y). I can't learn the definition for clinical governance because the last bit is just a yellow blur ("...care by creating an environment in which excellence in clinical care will flourish)

CEMENT MEN YEN YEN YEN.

Sorry, that must have been torture :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by _lynx_
CEMENT MEN YEN YEN YEN.

Sorry, that must have been torture :frown:
:laugh:
Original post by xylophonefairy

I have the same problem in biology - trying to learn the difference between glucose, glygogen and glucagon, and then theres other words like glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis etc etc... it's like trying to wade through a whole mass of green and yellow to get to the meanings!
Having said that, when words or numbers or whatever are all differenct colours, it makes remembering things easier :smile:
I use a mixture of the anatomy colouring book and McMinns atlas of anatomy. The colouring book is good for getting a rough idea of where everything is and what it's function and innervation is, then McMinns is loaded with really good cadaver photos. My first exam i learnt all my anatomy from Grays and it was a huge mistake, it was full of pretty diagrams, but anatomy diagrams look **** all like real human anatomy, you need to be learning from cadaver photos as they're what you'll get in your exams (at Newcastle at least).
As an aside, not because its to do with learning anatomy, but more about preleaarning and this thread seems most relavent.

Im on a gap year and my a levels seem a long way off, do you reckon its worth me going back over my biology and chemistry A level books before starting at Manchester??

xx
Reply 46
Original post by trinny_911
I'm on a gap year and my a levels seem a long way off, do you reckon its worth me going back over my biology and chemistry A level books before starting at Manchester??

No, it won't do you any good at all. They will teach you everything you need to know once you get there. Chances are, anything you try to do now will be way off mark and you'll waste your free time learning irrelevant facts or things you'll only forget later and have to re-learn anyway. 1st year of medicine is basically a revision of the relevant parts of A-level biology anyway (not so much chemistry) to consolidate the basics.

Honestly, relax over your summer. I can promise you'll regret any work you do before you start in the long run.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Anatomy... for fun? :K:

Anatomy fun = oxymoron

But OP, just do the Anatomy Colouring book. It actually covers little details if you look carefully enough
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Calumcalum
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Textbook-Functional-Anatomy-Combined/dp/0192628194

I am recommending this largely because my tutor wrote it :awesome:

Sounds nice, but almost £200?
Reply 49
Original post by No Future
But OP, just do the Anatomy Colouring book. It actually covers little details if you look carefully enough

I'd be very careful about jumping into a subject like anatomy without the early teaching - like its all very well learning that the "big muscle on the chest" is called Pectoralis Major. But if you don't understand what origins and insertions, innervations and dermatomes are then the OP could end up confusing themself in the long run.

When we learnt anatomy, I think we spent something like 3 months studying the pectorals and intercostals at a snails pace. Because it was more about learning basics (like types of joints/anatomical planes/tissue layers) and building a structure for approaching anatomy. By the time we finished anatomy 2 years later we covered the entire back, legs and arms in space of about 6 weeks - because once you have a framework it isn't hard.

If the OP is determined to start early, I would start with extremely basic and hopefully harmless things - like learn the names of the bones and perhaps major muscle groups.
Acland's video atlas of human anatomy is a really good resource.
The anatomy colouring book is fun :yep:
Original post by No Future
Anatomy fun = oxymoron

You'd be amazed - my five year old brother laughs his head off when I sing him the bones of the skull (or whatever we are learning, this is just his favourite)!:tongue:
Original post by Aemiliana

Original post by Aemiliana
The anatomy colouring book is fun :yep:

How have you come across that doing Ancient History? :confused:

(But I like it :ninja:) :p:
Reply 54
I study in Europe and the anatomy there is too intense. We learn Upper Limb and Lower Limb within the frame of four months. The best way to learn anatomy is from big grays because you need that kind of detail. Learn your bones inside out and the muscle attachment, nerve and blood supply becomes easier. I would also recommend using mnemonic for learning muscles in each compartments. The dirtier, the better. Just search online and you'll find them.

I don't know about UK but we must learn anatomy in details. This is why we must know details and reason I recommend the big grays. There's one online here: http://www.bartleby.com/107/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
How have you come across that doing Ancient History? :confused:

(But I like it :ninja:) :p:

I was going to apply for medicine/it was useful for Biology. See now why my PS may have been difficult? :p:
Original post by Lil08
I study in Europe and the anatomy there is too intense. We learn Upper Limb and Lower Limb within the frame of four months. The best way to learn anatomy is from big grays because you need that kind of detail. Learn your bones inside out and the muscle attachment, nerve and blood supply becomes easier. I would also recommend using mnemonic for learning muscles in each compartments. The dirtier, the better. Just search online and you'll find them.

I don't know about UK but we must learn anatomy in details. This is why we must know details and reason I recommend the big grays. There's one online here: http://www.bartleby.com/107/

That is not what most people would call "big gray's". That is anatomy from a hundred years ago and nothing like the figures in the latest "big gray's".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lil08

If you are learning anatomy from the 1918 edition of Grays anatomy, your medical school has lost the plot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
If you are learning anatomy form the 1918 edition of Grays anatomy, your medical school has lost the plot.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
Reply 59
Original post by Fission_Mailed
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

:ditto:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending