Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't have a best friend

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014

I have a couple of friends who I would consider as close, and many others that I would consider as just aquaintances (spelt wrong!). I am happy with my life, I have a boyfriend and everything is seeming okay.

However, the friends I have I cant trust (as both of them broke my trust a couple of years ago, and I'm struggling to trust them again, so we are falling apart), and I dont really have anyone to talk to about girly things I dont have a best friend. I'm 17 and female.

What would you recommend I do? I want to have someone that I'm close to and can talk to about anything and everything
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    ah I understand it's hard to make friends. Try going to some social groups or something, maybe you'll find somebody you can become close to.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's better to have just a handful of really close friends and just remain friendly with everyone else.

Make time to meet new people, through your couple of close friends perhaps and something might click. It's hard to gain someone's trust but so easy to break it so just take things slow and it will be fine
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it get to you, you will continue to make new friends throughout life, having a best friend someone you can turn to with anything will come wit time, just keep yourself open to others, joins some groups and societies of things that intrest you and this will help you meet like minded people. Don't try and force it just relax and be yourself. I'm sure you'll be fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you OP. Don't feel like I have proper friends to talk to, and certainly not a best friend anymore... are you at school/college? In employment? You need to get involved in things maybe - clubs, a job etc. But remember - often you need to put more work in than they will if you want to form close friendships. Don't give up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exact same situation as you. I have a boyfriend, two girl friends who used to be my best friends but are now just untrustworthy etc, and a handful of close guy friends and some acquaintances. I just talk about girly things with my boyfriend, or my closest guy friends. Tbh though, i'm looking forward to getting to uni to make some new friends that'll be better than my current ones :P

(Original post by littledreams)
    I'm the same as you OP. Don't feel like I have proper friends to talk to, and certainly not a best friend anymore... are you at school/college? In employment? You need to get involved in things maybe - clubs, a job etc. But remember - often you need to put more work in than they will if you want to form close friendships. Don't give up.
    Ive just finished year 12, and start a new job on monday, so hopefully things come up then, fingers crossed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickiieemma)
    Exact same situation as you. I have a boyfriend, two girl friends who used to be my best friends but are now just untrustworthy etc, and a handful of close guy friends and some acquaintances. I just talk about girly things with my boyfriend, or my closest guy friends. Tbh though, i'm looking forward to getting to uni to make some new friends that'll be better than my current ones :P
    Im not going anon anymore lol, I've got nothing to hide. I've got another year before uni yet, so hopefully I'll meet some new people soon
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    Im not going anon anymore lol, I've got nothing to hide. I've got another year before uni yet, so hopefully I'll meet some new people soon
    Exactly chin up!
    You can always chat to me if you wanna have girly chats x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickiieemma)
    Exactly chin up!
    You can always chat to me if you wanna have girly chats x
    Thank you x
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a couple of friends who I would consider as close, and many others that I would consider as just aquaintances (spelt wrong!). I am happy with my life, I have a boyfriend and everything is seeming okay.

However, the friends I have I cant trust (as both of them broke my trust a couple of years ago, and I'm struggling to trust them again, so we are falling apart), and I dont really have anyone to talk to about girly things I dont have a best friend. I'm 17 and female.

What would you recommend I do? I want to have someone that I'm close to and can talk to about anything and everything
    :console:
    In more or less the same situation...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tbh with you, I dnt have a best friend, I have friends but like you I can't trust them. Its fine dw I dnt really miss not having a best friend
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just pm me if you wana talk, I dnt mind
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We know friends are like treasure like gain in our life. we can share our personal feelings to our friend. I am always sharing my family issues and personal feelings to my friend. He always give encouragement...!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't meet my current very best friend until I moved out to go to uni (we lived in the same house). I had good mates before, but my best mate from uni I'd trust with damn near anything.

Point being, uni is a whole new thing, you will meet amazing people (so long as you make the effort. The other thing is that most people find they are not as close to old friends after uni, as you change a bit - new interests and you become more sure of yourself and stuff. So don't worry about not having close friends now

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.