The Student Room Group

Amy Winehouse deserved to die?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ctrl.abandon
You choose to be compassionate? :eek: Does that mean you could just as easily choose to forget it? Why ever don't you choose the latter?

I've said all I had to say tbh- nothing left. People die. Amy Winehouse died, albeit faster than most in the developed world and is, in my mind, fully responsible for it. She obviously didn't value her own life. And that's that. I'm of the opinion that people always get what they deserve. At least, where active choice is involved.

I think I actually agree with that. It is her own fault at the end of the day..

The way people where slagging her off, not so great. lol.
Reply 81
You disappoint me. I was rather hoping you'd see sense- even for the briefest of moments.

And the most ironic post of the day award goes to....:rolleyes:
Reply 82
Classic case of a caged animal. Don't even ask- it's beyond your understanding :wink:

I wasn't going to, I feel safe in the knowledge that you're talking absolute b****cks.
Reply 83
Well, nobody deserves to die, but in all honesty she brought it upon herself through the use of alcohol and drugs.
Reply 84
That's all very well then, isn't it?

Your posts seem to have degenerated into semaphore. Goodbye.
Reply 85
Original post by Captain Hindsight
i am proud to say i am glad amy winehouse died

apart from singing a few songs and turning up on stage rough and getting booed, she contributed nothing to society.

she is a skanky disgusting waste of space. she is a filthy tramp who smokes crack and drinks. i am so glad she is dead sick and tired of hearing about her injecting heroine into her toes, seriously what a rat.

as for dunn, he was an idiot. shame about bringing down someone with him. drinking and driving? no sympathy.

She has contributed more to society than you have love so pipe down keyboard warrior.
Reply 86
Original post by Rascacielos
I didn't like her and I don't think she was talented, nor did I like her drug habit or anything else about her. But I would never say she deserved to die - very few people deserve to die, and Amy Winehouse was not one of them.

Dysfunctional she may have been, but to count a 'lack of talent' among her vices would strike me as nothing short of absurd. Unless you've no appreciation whatsoever for the technical and emotive pedigree of modern soul?
Reply 87
Original post by Algorithm69
If anything she degraded society actually.

Of course she did....
Original post by Profesh

Dysfunctional she may have been, but to count a 'lack of talent' among her vices would strike me as nothing short of absurd. Unless you've no appreciation whatsoever for the technical and emotive pedigree of modern soul?

I don't think she could sing, like many modern artists. Sure, she was talented in that she could entertain..... but sing, she couldn't. Just my opinion.
Original post by Linweth
She has contributed more to society than you have love so pipe down keyboard warrior.

Reply 90
Original post by Rascacielos
I don't think she could sing, like many modern artists. Sure, she was talented in that she could entertain..... but sing, she couldn't. Just my opinion.

Then would you kindly exemplify this elusive, so-called 'singing' of which not even the pre-eminent soul practitioners of the last fifty years are capable? I somehow doubt it's a paradigm to which anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of blues or jazz would subscribe; but humour me.
Yeah, I totally agree OP! Too much ****ing double standards in this world :mad:

And I don't reckon any on of us are really one to judge. Yes, we all know she had many troubles with drinking and drugs which are nothing to be proud of, but none of us really know the whole story what was was really going on in Amy's head and what lead her to the destructive path she went on.

All I can say is, I'm sad to see one of my favourite musicians go so early :rip:
Original post by J0kerman2
Until the final toxicology results come out, theres no way to be sure it was the drugs that killed her. It almost certainly was drug related but still..a lot of people will feel very bad if it turns out to be something else. As for the people who think she deserves to die..sure she was an addict but she was also undoubtably an amazing artist. Unfortunatly, musical genius and drug problems seem to go hand in hand..misery and suffering inspires much better music than happiness and sunshine. You cant enjoy the music of Winehouse and every other musician with a drug problem (ie..all of them) and then suddenly turn on them once the drugs catches up with them. Talk about being a hypocrite

Unfortunately, you are so so right. Much of her music is so wonderful, yet also depressing at the same time.

apart from singing a few songs and turning up on stage rough and getting booed, she contributed nothing to society.

she is a skanky disgusting waste of space. she is a filthy tramp who smokes crack and drinks. i am so glad she is dead sick and tired of hearing about her injecting heroine into her toes, seriously what a rat.

as for dunn, he was an idiot. shame about bringing down someone with him. drinking and driving? no sympathy.

Well, I'm not gonna deny that she obviously had many faults, but to say that she never contributed anything to society when she has millions of worldwide fans of her Grammy and Ivor Novello award-winning music is pretty ridiculous :rolleyes:. Just because you dislike her doesn't make it OK to revel in her death - that's just sick. What happened to just being indifferent about things you're not interested in?

Original post by adam_zed
Lets all judge someone who even with a very bad drug problem has probably achieved more than many people here will achieve in their life, never mind by 27.

Exactly! :yy:

Not that I'm condoning her drug-taking in any way, but nobody is sure as hell perfect, and none of us know her properly to judge what she went through.
Did you know that her parents weren't allowed to keep her ashes?
Reply 94
As others have said. No she didn't deserve to die, but that isn't to say she didn't bring an early grave upon herself with the way she lived.
Reply 95

And what have you contributed to society?
Original post by Koobideh
And what have you contributed to society?

i have a job

small to some, but it's like bees and the hive effect. everyone pulls together and contributes to the hive. she does not contribute to the hive. she sings a few songs and snorts crack up her nose and injects heroine between her toes (it rhymes)
(edited 12 years ago)
No-one deserves to die.
Tbh, a song by an artist that goes "they tried to make me go to rehab, i said no, no, no" is laughable enough for me to completely dismiss them. The fact that they turn up dead not long after because of a drug overdose makes me respect them even less. Rest assured, I wasn't the least bit sad to see her go.

I find it funny how you're trying to justify her talent over her life :colone: Are you a musician?

I said 'talent'; please direct me to the exact point at which I specified that her talent is in songwriting? I could have meant singing, but of course you'll follow whichever fallacious trail seems the simplest and cheapest.

Furthermore, please lay out a logical argument demonstrating that quoting 13 badly written words (well, you didn't do anything to argue that they were badly written at all, but we'll leave this point for now) from one song immediately denotes that a lack of writing quality permeates enough of her songs for her to be considered to have little talent in the area. In fact, quoting 13 words from one song doesn't even go far enough as to show that the song as a whole is badly written. It just shows that those 13 words are.

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
She was a pretty woman, but I never liked her music (I hate pop culture and pop music though).

Even still, it didn't surprise me that she died, substance abuse is inherent to musicians, it's the circles they live in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending