The Student Room Group

Economics graduate- what to do next?

Hi,
I just finished my second year in an BSc Economics degree, got a 2:1 last year. Not sure what I can do next. There are a lot of options from accounting, finance, etc.
I want to do something which will meant I be working with numbers, but not sure where to look, any ideas?
Reply 1
Firstly, narrow down the sort of career you want to be involved in. You know you want to work with numbers, but within what industry? Do you want to be working within finance generally, within insurance, within industry, and if so, which industry in particular?

Additionally, do you want more examinations or would you rather stay away from that sort of thing? If you want more, or at least don’t mind more, you could consider accounting or actuarial. Otherwise, some sort of business analyst or similar is probably better. You could even consider consultancy.

Have a look at Inside Careers for some more information and also at Prospects.ac.uk
Reply 2
Original post by .ACS.
Firstly, narrow down the sort of career you want to be involved in. You know you want to work with numbers, but within what industry? Do you want to be working within finance generally, within insurance, within industry, and if so, which industry in particular?

Additionally, do you want more examinations or would you rather stay away from that sort of thing? If you want more, or at least don’t mind more, you could consider accounting or actuarial. Otherwise, some sort of business analyst or similar is probably better. You could even consider consultancy.

Have a look at Inside Careers for some more information and also at Prospects.ac.uk

I
Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at various websites. I feel that I want to do a chartered accountant and do an Acca, it seems to be what I want to do, however my work experience was not brilliant, working at an chartered accountant. Also, I not sure how I will get the three years of experience by getting a company to sponsor me.
I also feel that I will enjoy being a financial analyst, not sure how you to become this, but this interests me as well.
Reply 3
I been looking at more detailed at all the industries but I torn between audit and insurance, I feel I be better suited to a role with will involve a lot of detailed and repeatitive work. Anyone got any information from working in this sectors or as an actuary or financial analyst?
Original post by adamgilchrist
Hi,
I just finished my second year in an BSc Economics degree, got a 2:1 last year. Not sure what I can do next. There are a lot of options from accounting, finance, etc.
I want to do something which will meant I be working with numbers, but not sure where to look, any ideas?

Become an Actuary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending