The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Hi!! I applied for a job at a new Asda opening up in September on Monday and they've just emailed me inviting me to an Asda Magic Centre! Can anyone share their experiences with me? Is it scary? I suck at interviews so any tips? Thankyou! :smile:

Have a look here.

So many people have now asked about advice on this that I might just make one big post that people can look at. :tongue:

Original post by Becca_1992
How did it go?!?!? :biggrin:

Did you have to do an interview at asda magic cos i did and I was like 'Ahh!' :s-smilie: hahaha

Didn't think it went too bad tho, altho i was the youngest in the group by far and just about everyone else had worked in a supermarket before unlike me :/

You are actually meant to have an interview straight after if you are successful.. it's just that many stores are only just switching to online based applications, and it's a completely different structure.
Also, not having worked anywhere before is actually an advantage. They get to train you how they like then. :smile:

Original post by beckyyyyy
i havent had it yet, its at 4 so im going to leave soon! thought 4 was abit late but they probably want to make sure its quiet incase they let me have a turn hahaha
hope it doesnt last long im starving! :colondollar:

It is actually busier at 4! Don't worry though, it's so much fun! Good luck!
AndSparkles I hope you are right! :biggrin:

Although everyone in our group had an interview :s-smilie:

Suppose I will just have to wait and see now :smile:
i havent had it yet, its at 4 so im going to leave soon! thought 4 was abit late but they probably want to make sure its quiet incase they let me have a turn hahaha
hope it doesnt last long im starving! :colondollar:

Oooops sorry :P i wish you good luck then!

I was too nervous to eat before mine hahaha :colondollar:
AndSparkles I hope you are right! :biggrin:

Although everyone in our group had an interview :s-smilie:

Suppose I will just have to wait and see now :smile:

I am right! :biggrin: my manager told me all about it at the interview and said that I was meant to have it straight after Asda magic, but they didn't realise... oops?
And that might be because there were too many good 'uns! It could be a way of weeding out. :smile:

Oooops sorry :P i wish you good luck then!

I was too nervous to eat before mine hahaha :colondollar:

Me too! You really do have to eat something though.. it's very thirsty/hungry work :P
Well, Interview Went Well :biggrin: Gotta Wait Til Friday For The Phonecall Now :biggrin:

Just Out Of Interest, You Know When You Went In That Room Upstairs, Was There Still A Big Bag Of What Looked Like Asda Name Badges On The Table? I So Wanted To Have A Nosey At Them But Didnt! LOL :biggrin:
Reply 845
my second interview went well too i think [= but they seem to be interviewing alot of people and more next week so i'm not overly confident now =/
Original post by Becca-9492
Well, Interview Went Well :biggrin: Gotta Wait Til Friday For The Phonecall Now :biggrin:

Just Out Of Interest, You Know When You Went In That Room Upstairs, Was There Still A Big Bag Of What Looked Like Asda Name Badges On The Table? I So Wanted To Have A Nosey At Them But Didnt! LOL :biggrin:

Erm Im not sure about that. The woman who did the group interview was changing all the names in them when I left I think cos there was another group after us :s-smilie:

How long after Asda Magic did you get a reply?

And I'm glad to hear you think it went well :biggrin:
I went to an Asda Magic session today, but none of us had a one to one interview. is it normal?

The name badges are just little pieces of paper inside the plastic, so they'll change anyway! Good luck with the phone call, but don't expect it definitely to be on Friday, they're sometimes a little slow.

my second interview went well too i think [= but they seem to be interviewing alot of people and more next week so i'm not overly confident now =/

Out of 300 people that were interviewed in my store, only 14 of us got the job. Don't worry about it though, cause even if you don't get the job straight away, they'll keep you on their books and invite you back for Christmas positions.
Erm Im not sure about that. The woman who did the group interview was changing all the names in them when I left I think cos there was another group after us :s-smilie:

Yep, they change them for each interview session. I got my phonecall back for the second interview the day afterwards. I was told in the interview that I had got the job and she gave me a list of hours etc, and then I was told to wait for a formal offer from Personnel. That took 5 days.

Original post by citalopram
I went to an Asda Magic session today, but none of us had a one to one interview. is it normal?

Yes, depending on which method of recruitment they are using, and the time of your Asda Magic session etc. I had my Asda Magic session on Monday, and my interview on Friday. Don't worry about it. :smile: Good luck!

Aaaah righty, we never had those badges, just had sticky labels thats why i was wondering! haha....... i had my magic session on the friday and heard on the monday but she said it could have been friday afternoon depending on how busy they were..... you may get phoned tomorrow because when i was there yesterday, 2 of us had to wait cos our interviewers were running late (traffic issues!) and she went into a room and interviewed someone but never shut the door, so we over heard her telling that lady it would probably be friday!

But tbh out of our group i think weve all or most of us got something! Especially with the way the guy who interviewed me was speaking to me yesterday! Although i was away with the fairies most of the time for it! (Doesnt help when my mate mentioned something earlier on facebook yesterday morning about her dream involving a nudists asda..... and i had a rather fit guy interviewing me! - i'll leave the rest to you! lol)
Does anyone know how much you're supposed to be taxed, if you only work part-time?
Aaaah righty, we never had those badges, just had sticky labels thats why i was wondering! haha....... i had my magic session on the friday and heard on the monday but she said it could have been friday afternoon depending on how busy they were..... you may get phoned tomorrow because when i was there yesterday, 2 of us had to wait cos our interviewers were running late (traffic issues!) and she went into a room and interviewed someone but never shut the door, so we over heard her telling that lady it would probably be friday!

But tbh out of our group i think weve all or most of us got something! Especially with the way the guy who interviewed me was speaking to me yesterday! Although i was away with the fairies most of the time for it! (Doesnt help when my mate mentioned something earlier on facebook yesterday morning about her dream involving a nudists asda..... and i had a rather fit guy interviewing me! - i'll leave the rest to you! lol)

I hope I do find out tomorrow whether good or bad lol! Although I'm sure the guy that interviewed me said 7 days but I was that nervous I couldn't really remember when I came out :colondollar:

Was the second interview a lot more formal one than the one at Asda Magic?

And a nudists Asda... now thats the way forward hahaha xD
Reply 853
Original post by AndSparkles

Out of 300 people that were interviewed in my store, only 14 of us got the job. Don't worry about it though, cause even if you don't get the job straight away, they'll keep you on their books and invite you back for Christmas positions.

i think they narrowed it down to around 60 for the group interview and then i presumed theyd narrow it down even further for the one to one but it looked like theyd jut second interviewed everyone! Still hope i get it but there were alot of people wanting checkouts so i'm not too hopeful even tho i smiled the whole time!!! pmsl :biggrin:
Original post by AndSparkles
Have a look here.

So many people have now asked about advice on this that I might just make one big post that people can look at. :tongue:

Thanks! Adsa Magic went well, I just got a call back! :biggrin: They don't have any dates or times for the interviews yet so just need to wait and see. Is it harder to get through the Magic or the one to one? So excited! :biggrin:
been waiting 4 ages to get a reply about a job application r replies usually sent after closing date of application
Original post by destined1
been waiting 4 ages to get a reply about a job application r replies usually sent after closing date of application

No. I've heard that apparently if they're keen on you, they'd contact you swiftly... but my applications were usually 'in progress' for six to eight weeks at times. If you don't succeed with your application, you can't apply for another six months (bloody bastards). If they however just 'close' the role, then you can still apply for other roles.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 857
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Does anyone know how much you're supposed to be taxed, if you only work part-time?

Nothing until you've earned £7475, then it's 20% up until £30k-ish I think.
I hope I do find out tomorrow whether good or bad lol! Although I'm sure the guy that interviewed me said 7 days but I was that nervous I couldn't really remember when I came out :colondollar:

Was the second interview a lot more formal one than the one at Asda Magic?

And a nudists Asda... now thats the way forward hahaha xD

Ive Not heard anything yet, so will most probably be next week like you said! And yeah kind of... all that happens in 2nd one is you get asked a few questions about customer service etc, nothing too much to worry about..... :biggrin:
Ive Not heard anything yet, so will most probably be next week like you said! And yeah kind of... all that happens in 2nd one is you get asked a few questions about customer service etc, nothing too much to worry about..... :biggrin:

That doesn't sound too bad then if I get asked to go to one :smile:

I hate waiting for them to contact me, if they don't want me I'd rather them just tell me now haha! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest