Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression and concentration+memory

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those who have depression here, how is your concentration and memory? I just find this a very interesting topic.

I have a terrible time concentrating. For example, I really want to continue studying Japanese which I'm passionate about. I worked hard and got an A for GCSE. But though I can't take it for A-Level I want to brush up on new vocabulary but no matter how hard I try I just can't focus - nothing sinks in. So I put my work away but get frustrated about not learning that I take it out and the cycle repeats. It's saddening for me.

My memory is also getting bad. So bad in fact that I can think of something to say in a conversation and then just forget or have a thought and lose it literally a second later.
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of problems with both. It's a problem with uni work. I used to be able to skim-read pretty well but now that ability seems to have vanished. My brain seems to be on strike
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I have a lot of problems with both. It's a problem with uni work. I used to be able to skim-read pretty well but now that ability seems to have vanished. My brain seems to be on strike
    I understand how you feel. It's like the gears in my brain need to be oiled up because my mental actions seem to be slowing. Even stuff like spelling is getting stupidly bad.
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou)
    I understand how you feel. It's like the gears in my brain need to be oiled up because my mental actions seem to be slowing. Even stuff like spelling is getting stupidly bad.
    My mum thinks it's a side effect of the medication but I feel it's something more serious and long-term than that :sadnod:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It gets worse as the depression gets worse. I can definitely appreciate your language learning problems because it has a similar effect here when I'm trying to get some Russian to sink in but when there are too many negative thoughts buzzing around, it just won't work. It's probably something to do with how depression is so tiring that it makes anything feel like a ridiculous effort.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Our_Lot)
    It gets worse as the depression gets worse. I can definitely appreciate your language learning problems because it has a similar effect here when I'm trying to get some Russian to sink in but when there are too many negative thoughts buzzing around, it just won't work. It's probably something to do with how depression is so tiring that it makes anything feel like a ridiculous effort.
    It's weird how something so mental can become physical. it's not you imagining fatigue either right? I'm just naturally tired. I told a friend I was diagnosed the depression and she advised that I got to the gym but I can't even go running since I just don't have the energy. My psychologist thinks that meds will solve that but... we'll see.

It's even a pain to type
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get huge issues with concentration and memory when depressed. Failed/nearly failed exams at university because I just had a hell of a time actually learning/remembering anything. Did get better for the time I was very briefly on the right meds.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It certainly makes revision much harder than it needs to be.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of problems as well. Sure leads to a vicious circle when you can't focus enough to work.....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    My mum thinks it's a side effect of the medication but I feel it's something more serious and long-term than that :sadnod:
    unfortunately you are right it's a symptom of the depression
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep problems here too, I blame my 2:2 firmly on my complete inability to concentrate or work. Not so sure the meds are entirely innocent either, I'm on antipsychotics and mental dulling is a pretty common side effect.
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yep problems here too, I blame my 2:2 firmly on my complete inability to concentrate or work. Not so sure the meds are entirely innocent either, I'm on antipsychotics and mental dulling is a pretty common side effect.
    Thanks for making this post: I had no idea mental dulling was a common side effect. Clearly going to have to speak to my psychiatrist about that :yes:

My 2.2 was due to disastrous health as well :five:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Concentration is no problem when I'm doing things.

Motivation can be.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was depressed all through sixth form and I also got all low grades in everything. Not entirely sure if there's a link but I think it's possible there could be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou)
    For those who have depression here, how is your concentration and memory? I just find this a very interesting topic.

I have a terrible time concentrating. For example, I really want to continue studying Japanese which I'm passionate about. I worked hard and got an A for GCSE. But though I can't take it for A-Level I want to brush up on new vocabulary but no matter how hard I try I just can't focus - nothing sinks in. So I put my work away but get frustrated about not learning that I take it out and the cycle repeats. It's saddening for me.

My memory is also getting bad. So bad in fact that I can think of something to say in a conversation and then just forget or have a thought and lose it literally a second later.
    I can relate to this a lot. It's like I forget what I'm thinking about as I'm halfway through thinking it. Really struggle to keep a clear train of thought sometimes.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have OCD and comorbid depressive episodes and find it very difficult to concentrate and memorize when ill- I'm not sure whether it's an effect of underactivity of various areas of the brain or whether it's just processing difficulty because the brain is working on other things (e.g. depressive thoughts etc).

Has anyone found anything that helps concentration and memory? Do anti-depressants tend to worsen rather than improve it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh really? I was considering starting on fluoxetine but I might not then!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2011
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.