The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Starting access course this september.

Access to He, Education studies.

Thinking about going into religious education/ law in university. Still undecided. I know that the access course is accepted in most universites in England, but how do they fair abroad? Anyone gone to Canada to study with an Access course?

Thanks In advance :smile:
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
I will also be doing a GCSE equivalence in Maths, I hope the Universities do bloody accept this. I cannot see why they would not, it would make a mockery of taking an equivalence if it was worthless when it came to getting into Uni.

it all depends on the degree u want to do BolloTheGorilla i have a gcse quivalance in Maths however in my experience of dealing with universities for the degree i want to do they wont accept it and want me to do a GCSE in Maths alongside a updated Access diploma.My advice would to contact the relevant admissions tutors for the degree u wish to do and ask them point blank will they accept it
Original post by wizardtop
it all depends on the degree u want to do BolloTheGorilla i have a gcse quivalance in Maths however in my experience of dealing with universities for the degree i want to do they wont accept it and want me to do a GCSE in Maths alongside a updated Access diploma.My advice would to contact the relevant admissions tutors for the degree u wish to do and ask them point blank will they accept it

The GCSE equivalence mathematics is typically an entry requirement for many Access programmes. Most ACCESS programs have core units - numeracy, english and ICT. These are typically level 2 equivalence units. It is possible to study level 3 mathematics units at certain colleges. It is also possible to do a GCSE mathematics in one year at the same time that you study on an Access programme.
I'm definitely in! Enrol late August.:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 184
Congratulations to you all for achieving a place on the course.

It's strange. I can't believe i'm actually looking forward to going back in to education ! Four years ago, I wasn't so keen and made a right hash of my a-levels. I found my career in IT had hit a bit of a brick wall so I've quit to start again. I'm a bit bored at the moment though. I just want to start, meet new people and enjoy being in class again. :smile:
Reply 185
Is anyone planning on kicking of a 2011 access student thread?
Original post by geekay1
Is anyone planning on kicking of a 2011 access student thread?

I thought this was it?
Reply 187
Might just be worth renaming the thread title and away we go:smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Cyclo
Might just be worth renaming the thread title and away we go:smile:

Sounds like a good idea :smile:
Woo hoo i can't wait to find out my start dates!! I'm so impatient lol i havent even got my enrolment date through yet, just a postcard (????) saying fill in your details and return to accept your place and a letter saying enrolment starts on 22nd August and continues right up to the start of term!
Reply 190
im due to start an access course in sept doin geography, history and environmental issues and earth sciences....SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! Does any one know when I should start writing my personal statement? Also, anyone know how hard//easy it is to get a distinction? I am applying for a really competitive uni course so need to do well
Original post by godsangel
im due to start an access course in sept doin geography, history and environmental issues and earth sciences....SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! Does any one know when I should start writing my personal statement? Also, anyone know how hard//easy it is to get a distinction? I am applying for a really competitive uni course so need to do well

I did history and really enjoyed it. I got distinctions in all my history modules through hard work and reading around the subject :smile:
I'd start writing your PS now because you will change it so many times before you are happy so you need to start NOW! :biggrin:
Enjoy x
Just got a letter from college today.
Induction week will be the one starting 5th september 2011.
I am supposed to be there on the 5th, the 6th and the 8th that week from 9.30 to 2.45
The real thing starts on the 12th september 2011.
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:colondollar:
I will be studying Access to Business.
Reply 193
Original post by shanesia05
Just got a letter from college today.
Induction week will be the one starting 5th september 2011.
I am supposed to be there on the 5th, the 6th and the 8th that week from 9.30 to 2.45
The real thing starts on the 12th september 2011.
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:colondollar:
I will be studying Access to Business.

Ooh, ooh lucky you! That's the letter I'm waiting for. Which college are you going to? *hopes it's the same as me because then my letter might come today*
Reply 194
My enrolment's on the 24th August, and I start 12th September. Sort of awkward about what I'm going to do about my part-time job, because I emailed the college asking for my timetable, which they kindly gave me, but said it couldn't be confirmed until enrolment. Awkward since the classes seem to be the same time as my shift at work, but can't know for definite until the end of August @~@

And I'm looking online for bags. So much cheaper than the ones in stores.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
Does anyone know how to change the title? and i will change it haha i cant seem to figure it out. that way we can use this as our access 2011 thread :]
Original post by jami74
Ooh, ooh lucky you! That's the letter I'm waiting for. Which college are you going to? *hopes it's the same as me because then my letter might come today*

Looooolllll!
I am going to City College Coventry.
What about u?
Do not worry, you will receive something soon.
Reply 197
Original post by RinniieX
Does anyone know how to change the title? and i will change it haha i cant seem to figure it out. that way we can use this as our access 2011 thread :]

Ummm...if you can longer edit your original post then you may have to ask a mod.
Reply 198
I enroll on the 18th of August (in about a fortnight) for my Access to HE Health Sciences, as I'm hoping to do Speech and Language Therapy at university next year (:
Reply 199
Thread title changed! wooo!

Original post by aisha_12
I enroll on the 18th of August (in about a fortnight) for my Access to HE Health Sciences, as I'm hoping to do Speech and Language Therapy at university next year (:

i cant believe how fast that sounds! 2 weeks! arrg! wel done on gtting a place!

Quick Reply

Latest