The Student Room Group

Extended Diploma in Business - level 3

im highly considering taking this and i want peoples opinions?
also can i still get into university with this?
thankyou
Many universities accept business BTEC's so yes you can get in university with a BTEC. Check which universities you are interested in and see which courses you are interested in taking for the future at university as an example to see if they accept BTEC as an entry route.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
thankyou so much! preferably a London University and I want to take business managment :smile:
Original post by Becky-xo
thankyou so much! preferably a London University and I want to take business managment :smile:

Here is an example of the entry requirements through BTEC business for a Business Management degree at Queen Mary university of London.

--------------------------------------------------------
BTEC National Diploma (18 units)
Acceptability
Acceptable on its own.

Subjects and grades required
Overall DDD

Additional information
You must have 5 GCSE grades at A-C grade, including B in English and B in Mathematics.

---------------------------------------------------------

There are other universities too, but if you want to aim high such as the university of london universities such as Queen Mary then you should get B in maths and English for admission, if you don't have these then there is always the option of retaking them during your BTEC.

Although the University of Westminster in London which is ranked lower then Queen Mary has the BTEC National Diploma - DMM grade which is all that's needed and presumably only a C in English and Maths.

Need any more information just ask.
Reply 4
The best diploma in Business is PGDM
Reply 5
i have one more question. do universities not like the diploma? my mum said that no universities will take me? which im sure isnt true but i just want to check? and what are the courses you take for the business diploma? thankyou :smile:
i have one more question. do universities not like the diploma? my mum said that no universities will take me? which im sure isnt true but i just want to check? and what are the courses you take for the business diploma? thankyou :smile:

Of course universities will accept BTEC diplomas, I don't think your mum is quite familiar with BTEC's.

What courses? Well you only do the BTEC national diploma where you do three modules a term, overall 18 modules. Each with a grade boundary of Pass, Merit or Distinction. If you want a good chance at university I would hit the Distinction marks if I were you.

Also if you are up for a challenge try taking an AS level with your BTEC. Preferably Maths or economics, this way Universities will definitely consider you for their courses. Not only does it show your skilled at coursework shown with your BTEC but have proven you have potential with exams also. Maths or Economics is a subject at AS level universities will favor for business management degrees. Plus taking a AS degree = more UCAS points when applying for university.

Good luck.
Reply 7
maths AS is a great idea! however the college im going to only does btecs and not a levels.. where and how could i do AS maths?
maths AS is a great idea! however the college im going to only does btecs and not a levels.. where and how could i do AS maths?

Ah alrighty. The college I went to pretty much did everything, Btec's & A levels the whole lot etc.

If you don't mind yourself try and find a college nearby which does both, usually the colleges with a large student base do both. If you're happy at the college you're planning on going to though there are always exam centers you can go to in your free time for Maths AS night classes or really what ever time suits you, there's always a way :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
i found out the college does english maths and science a levels! i will take maths then :biggrin: thanku so much! im only in college for 3 days so will have time for it :smile:
i found out the college does english maths and science a levels! i will take maths then :biggrin: thanku so much! im only in college for 3 days so will have time for it :smile:

No problem, just try to beat the procrastination mood whilst on your BTEC course and you should get mostly Distinctions. Same with your Maths AS too and you shall do fine. :wink:
Reply 11
whats a procrastination mood? ahh, thankyou so much! did you take the same course?
whats a procrastination mood? ahh, thankyou so much! did you take the same course?

Ah nope I didn't do the course. I meant with the mood as in don't get too lazy and do other things when your supposed to be doing your coursework, ps don't leave your coursework deadline to the last night and not aim for distinction.
There are people I knew who didn't do to well in A levels that went on BTEC thinking they are going to sail through it since there's a big hype saying BTEC's are easy. Though the work load for them was higher than A level and they simply can't be bothered in the end and got dragged back and they ended up with grades which were much worse than their A level ones. If your good with coursework and motivated to work though then you will have no problem.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending