The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've decided that I'm about as likely to be able to run my half marathon without stopping as to be able to fly the course.

Oh well. I can always just walk it.
Original post by ChelseyElla
Thought I'd join in on the annoying skinny people! My brother is 18, eats like a horse and is the skinniest person I know yet he still has some muscle definition and he does NO exercise! Just think how much healthier we all are on the inside :tongue:

This is like my brother, who's 15, 6 foot 4 and 150lbs which is underweight. But seriously he eats so much! Like scrambled egg on toast for breakfast, sandwich crisps and chocolate for lunch and a huge portion of dinner.. plus a whole packet of custard creams per day and that's no exaggeration.

Just makes you wonder how on Earth their bodies work differently to ours, because if I ate that much I'd put on about 4lbs per week, but he maintains with no exercise at all other than exercising his thumbs on the x box!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This is like my brother, who's 15, 6 foot 4 and 150lbs which is underweight. But seriously he eats so much! Like scrambled egg on toast for breakfast, sandwich crisps and chocolate for lunch and a huge portion of dinner.. plus a whole packet of custard creams per day and that's no exaggeration.

Just makes you wonder how on Earth their bodies work differently to ours, because if I ate that much I'd put on about 4lbs per week, but he maintains with no exercise at all other than exercising his thumbs on the x box!

That's not a lot.
Reply 1203
Was a little disheartened yesterday when my stomach seemed to suddenly be sticking out A LOT more than usual, but woke up this morning and its gone down so think it was just bloating!
My exercise has been pretty much non-existent recently since we have family over and I haven't had a chance to do anything but walk the dog (and I'm yet to find a decent place to go running). Considering joining the gym but its so expensive!

We're going to Nando's later (yay) and they actually have quite a lot of veggie options! I'm trying to decide which is the healthiest option... I'm thinking Nandino's veggie burger with grilled halloumi cheese and either a chilly billy lolly or vanilla frozen yoghurt for dessert :smile:
Having to wear a short skirt and tights (and a shirt) to a job interview as my knee length skirts are all too small at the moment :frown:
Original post by -jessica
Was a little disheartened yesterday when my stomach seemed to suddenly be sticking out A LOT more than usual, but woke up this morning and its gone down so think it was just bloating!
My exercise has been pretty much non-existent recently since we have family over and I haven't had a chance to do anything but walk the dog (and I'm yet to find a decent place to go running). Considering joining the gym but its so expensive!

We're going to Nando's later (yay) and they actually have quite a lot of veggie options! I'm trying to decide which is the healthiest option... I'm thinking Nandino's veggie burger with grilled halloumi cheese and either a chilly billy lolly or vanilla frozen yoghurt for dessert :smile:

Nandos has nutritional infor on its website :smile:
Original post by Shawshank
That's not a lot.

Well thank you for that enlightening post.

All I was saying was that there's a lot of difference between what some people can eat and not gain weight. Wasn't saying he ate more than anyone else in the whole world.
My brother can eat an entire loaf of bread, pints of milk and a whole tray of brownies on a regular basis and not gain much weight. He is 6'6" and still growing though. I feel sorry for his school in September, as they force them to do at least one sport (something he's looking forward to) and his current diet is based on a sedentary lifestyle :teehee:

Not a great start to the day for me - 2 brownies (small, but still shouldn't have been eaten). I'm going to really up the exercise this month (I want to be fit for rowing in late September/early October) and when I get back up to Manchester, I'm going to try and go swimming regularly as I'll have an informal swimming test for rowing and I don't want to look like a plonker (or worse yet - fail :eek:)
Having to wear a short skirt and tights (and a shirt) to a job interview as my knee length skirts are all too small at the moment :frown:

I love how you've added 'and a shirt' as if we'd think you'd be going topless haha :tongue:. Not being able to fit into clothes that used to fit is a horrible feeling (one that I've experienced alot over the last few months), but when you try something on a month later and it fits again it is an amazing feeling, keep going. Hope your interview goes well btw :smile:
My brother is another one of those people who can eat absolutely loads and stays really thin. Though to be fair he is pretty tall, plays football a few times a week and is generally out and about/on his feet alot so he does need to eat quite alot, however I'm still surprised at the amount he can get through without putting on weight. :s-smilie:
This weekend is going to be a complete write-off, food and exercise wise. I'm going to a family wedding and not returning til Monday! Might take my trainers with me in case there's any time for a sneaky jog, but as far as food goes, I get what everyone else gets and will have to eat it to be polite!! Nevermind. Just hope all my hard work doesn't go to waste.
Reply 1211
Original post by hannydee
This weekend is going to be a complete write-off, food and exercise wise. I'm going to a family wedding and not returning til Monday! Might take my trainers with me in case there's any time for a sneaky jog, but as far as food goes, I get what everyone else gets and will have to eat it to be polite!! Nevermind. Just hope all my hard work doesn't go to waste.

I have this problem :o: It'll be fine...a couple of days can't ruin weeks of being good :smile:

I'm going to my pig placement on Sunday, living with the family so will have meals with them....this is for fourteen days :o: Lets hope they're healthy!!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well thank you for that enlightening post.

All I was saying was that there's a lot of difference between what some people can eat and not gain weight. Wasn't saying he ate more than anyone else in the whole world.

Obviously, but then why stick a label on it like "so much"? He is certainly no freak of nature, that's for sure. In fact it doesn't sound like much more than average at all.
Reply 1213
Obviously, but then why stick a label on it like "so much"? He is certainly no freak of nature, that's for sure. In fact it doesn't sound like much more than average at all.

A whole packet of custard creams does seem to be 'so much' more than average to me to be honest, so why are you nitpicking so badly...?
Original post by conway!
A whole packet of custard creams does seem to be 'so much' more than average to me to be honest, so why are you nitpicking so badly...?

You hear "custard creams", "digestives", "chocolate" but look at the whole picture, the context. I'm not nitpicking, I'm just saying it's pretty lame to be all like "it's so unfair that Mr abc can eat xyz" when the whole picture isn't considered.
You hear "custard creams", "digestives", "chocolate" but look at the whole picture, the context. I'm not nitpicking, I'm just saying it's pretty lame to be all like "it's so unfair that Mr abc can eat xyz" when the whole picture isn't considered.

A WHOLE packet of custard creams is in the big picture! Most if not all of a persons daily calories would be taken by the biscuits alone. You can't say the whole picture isn't considered as if they ate all that and a whole packet then they're eating a hell of a lot.

Edit: There's 1960 kcals in packet of custard creams. Now add everything else that the person eats to that.
(edited 12 years ago)
But young teens can only get away with it for so long :colone: Once they stop growing it'll change if they don't. My Dad joined the forces at 16, so obviously kept in good shape. However, once he was doing less and less exercise (now to none), he's overweight, maybe obese (I don't know his weight). And he's from a family of skinny people.

My brother is literally like a hoover with food, but he's growing at a ridiculous rate, so his body needs it.
A WHOLE packet of custard creams is in the big picture! Most if not all of a persons daily calories would be taken by the biscuits alone. You can't say the whole picture isn't considered as if they ate all that and a whole packet then they're eating a hell of a lot.

Edit: There's 1960 kcals in packet of custard creams. Now add everything else that the person eats to that.

Oh no 1960 calories what shall we do? :frown:
Oh no 1960 calories what shall we do? :frown:

This.
Reply 1219
Original post by Aemiliana
But young teens can only get away with it for so long :colone: Once they stop growing it'll change if they don't. My Dad joined the forces at 16, so obviously kept in good shape. However, once he was doing less and less exercise (now to none), he's overweight, maybe obese (I don't know his weight). And he's from a family of skinny people.

My brother is literally like a hoover with food, but he's growing at a ridiculous rate, so his body needs it.

Same with my 15yo brother. Grown about four inches in six months, and eats almost constantly - must be eating 3,000 calories or more. Yet he's 9 stone and 5"9 :tongue: I await the day he wakes up as a big blob when he's hit 25...