The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for entry 2012 :]

I couldn't find any threads for this, if there is one feel free to tell me!
Anyway..
This is just for a general chat, and to talk about what people are doing etc ^.^

And..
1) What subjects are you currently studying?
2) What degree are you considering? (human, physical, both BSc/BA/MSci, with study abroad etc)
3) Where are you thinking of applying?

For me:
1) Biology, Chemistry and full Geography a-level next year because I chose wrong things.. dropped/dropping - Physics, Maths, General Studies. And I'm doing an EPQ on Yellowstone (:
2) BSc, with a year abroad in America hopefully.
3) Looking at Manchester, Lancaster, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Hull, Liverpool, Durham, UCL...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im going to do a MA Geography at the University of Aberdeen :smile: ive applied this year though, holding already a conditional *Yay* :smile:
not sure about whether to focus on the human or physical side yet though
Reply 2
Original post by Kiwihoney
Im going to do a MA Geography at the University of Aberdeen :smile: ive applied this year though, holding already a conditional *Yay* :smile:
not sure about whether to focus on the human or physical side yet though

Ace ^.^ You can decide that at uni though yeah? :smile:

Original post by jackfliex8
wow heavencanwait, thats rather similar to me

1)Maths, Geography, Physics, Computing
2)BSc (also with a year abroad in america or canada)
3)Im definitely applying to royal holloway, then choosing 2 from lancaster, birmingham, southampton and manchester, and another 2 from keele, chester, plymouth and edge hill

Haha, tis :] Lol you have loads to choose from too! Btw, Manchester is a really nice uni :} Not saying that cause I'm biased in any way, I actually didn't want to like it since I live here xD Butttt the department's really nice and a lecturer gave a talk on it and he was really nice ^.^ (sorry for the rant if you've already seen it lol xD)
You are all very cool people. Good choice! :biggrin:
Reply 4
why thank you
Reply 5
Geography ftw!
1. Geography (always been my favourite subject), History, Psychology and Maths, not dropping
2. Human Geography mostly, but also Environment and Development at LSE
3. Durham, LSE, Bristol, Southampton, Liverpool/Manchester/Nottingham, probably UCL or St Andrews

Haha I have too many university choices :tongue:
Original post by heavencanwait_
1) What subjects are you currently studying?
2) What degree are you considering? (human, physical, both BSc/BA/MSci, with study abroad etc)
3) Where are you thinking of applying?

1) Maths, Geography, Biology, Economics
2) BSc... hopefully with a year abroad
3) Definitely Exeter, Newcastle, Reading and then thinking about Lancaster, Southampton, Leicester, Loughborough, Sheffield
There's too much choice!! haha
Reply 8
personal statement is a killer.
what have you guys done to show that you're 'suitable for the course'?
Original post by jackfliex8
personal statement is a killer.
what have you guys done to show that you're 'suitable for the course'?

i agree. i don't have any work experience or extra-cirricular activities related to geography at all - but i really love geography :L i don't know how to show my passion for it is my personal statement.

anyone's help would be great
Reply 10
Original post by La_Crosse
1) German, Geography, Biology and Chemistry

I have managed to make nearly all my courses different

1)Cambridge-Geography BSc
2)Southampton-Geography with Oceanography
3)Birmingham-Geography/German
4)Leeds-Geog/Geol
5)Not sure maybe Lancs

6)Trinity College Dublin-Geography/German

Are you going to write about Geography, German, Oceanography and Geology in your personal statement? Because if you do, you'll end up with a watered down PS lacking any focus, and that could lead to quite a few rejections (say goodbye to Cambridge, that's for cert). Stick to one course (or two very similar courses) is the best advice that I can give.
If any of you are struggling on what to include in your PS, I would check out your local geographical association branch. Many hold lectures throughout the year on different topics and you may find them useful to quote in your PS :smile:
Reply 12
1. Geography, Physics, Maths, Econ

2. BSc, will take a postgraduate one-year course in a relevant career field afterwards (thinking of surveying atm but this will change as time goes on)

3. Not fully decided yet!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
1) Geography, German, Economics, English Literature :smile:

2) Not fully decided yet! I'm definitely more interested in the physical geography side, but I dunno if a BSc would be too sciencey for me because I have like no science background!

3) We're thinking of applying to similar places, OP! :biggrin: I have a soft spot for Liverpool right now, and I'm also considering Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lancaster and Leeds.

So glad we have a thread :biggrin:
Original post by Quirynn
1) Geography, German, Economics, English Literature :smile:

2) Not fully decided yet! I'm definitely more interested in the physical geography side, but I dunno if a BSc would be too sciencey for me because I have like no science background!

3) We're thinking of applying to similar places, OP! :biggrin: I have a soft spot for Liverpool right now, and I'm also considering Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lancaster and Leeds.

So glad we have a thread :biggrin:

They say you should apply for the one that goes with your subjects though, don't they? So you'd probably have to apply for BA anyway, but usually you can change after the first year anyway so you'll be fine :smile:
I didn't like Liverpool much, just wasn't me, fallen in love with Manchester (which is like the closest university to me haha, oh well)
Reply 15
1) Geography, Biology, English Literature and Psychology
2) Human Ba
3) Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Oxford and Royal Holloway
I cannot begin to say how happy I am that I found this thread!!! I was beginning to think I was the lone fish in a sea of students full of doctors and dentists!

I'm studying english literature, psychology and of course geography. I'm going to have to pick up an As next year though, so I'm thinking of doing economics, unfortunately I made the very wrong decision of taking maths when I don't need it or even enjoy it!

Geography Ba/Bsc (not sure yet, help!!)
1) UCL
2) Kings
3) Royal Holloway
4) Queen Mary's
5) Kingston

I'm trying to redraft the terrible first draft of my personal statement, but I don't know what to focus on, physical or human geo?

I'm unsure about taking a ba or bsc :s-smilie:
Original post by Ambiguousthinker
I cannot begin to say how happy I am that I found this thread!!! I was beginning to think I was the lone fish in a sea of students full of doctors and dentists!

I'm studying english literature, psychology and of course geography. I'm going to have to pick up an As next year though, so I'm thinking of doing economics, unfortunately I made the very wrong decision of taking maths when I don't need it or even enjoy it!

Geography Ba/Bsc (not sure yet, help!!)
1) UCL
2) Kings
3) Royal Holloway
4) Queen Mary's
5) Kingston

I'm trying to redraft the terrible first draft of my personal statement, but I don't know what to focus on, physical or human geo?

I'm unsure about taking a ba or bsc :s-smilie:

Thought I'd offer a bit of advice :smile:
When it comes to BA/BSc Geography, both courses have fairly similar content except BA expects you to take slightly more human modules and vice versa for BSc. At most Uni's I talked to you can swap to the other course quite simply so don't feel like you should be expected to know exactly which one you want to take. In terms of your Personal Statement (unless you are thinking of just taking BA Human Geog or BSc Physical Geog) I would try to discuss both Human and Physical as it will show you off to be a more rounded Geography student.
Hope my ramble helps :biggrin:
I'm glad I found some other geographers! :smile:

1. Geography, History, French (and I did Biology at AS)
2. Human
3. Cambridge, Durham (absolutely in love with it!), Exeter, Southampton, Leeds

But I was pretty surprised by Durham saying that they were asking for A*AA next year- was anyone else?
1.I'm studying Biology, Economics and Geography (I did Chemistry at AS)
2. BA; I do like physical and himan but I thought my subjects might be better suited
3. I know I want to apply to Newcastle, Edinburgh and Durham (also very surprised by A*AA!), but haven't fully decided on my other two. I'd like to apply to Cambridge but I'm not sure if its worth it; I got AAAB in my AS results (B was in chemistry, and wasn't too far off an A). So I think I could be on track for the A*AA they want, but as its so competitive I'm just wondering whether my grades would make the cut. Any advice from anyone in the same boat? Thanks.

Quick Reply