The Student Room Group

Higher English pass rate up 3.4% - what are the SQA playing at

Found this out while I was raking through all the SQA statistics, anyone else agree that this subject is becoming a bit of a joke? Especially with the introduction of the new folio. I'm a bit sick of the SQA devaluing the qualifications here there and everywhere just to make them and their curriculum for excellence look all nice and fancy when really they're practically letting everyone who wants to pass, pass.

I'm afraid that if this keeps going at its current rate, one day my A in English will be worth nothing because - guess what - everyone has one!

Your thoughts on the matter?
Reply 1
Oh my word, THREE POINT FOUR PER CENT.

3.4% is nothing, your precious little A will still be as valuable in a decade because if the SQA have buggered up as royally as you're insinuating, recruiters will know that any A grade gained after 2010 will be worthless, while your darling pre-2010 A will be valuable.

Please get a grip mate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Delaney

3.4% is a substantial increase, it means 1,000 out of 30,000 candidates in just one year, work it out. But yeah, nice response, could have done without the swearing and less of the satire.

And it was actually a 2011 A... :colondollar:
Original post by Electronica
3.4% is a substantial increase, it means 1,000 out of 30,000 candidates in just one year, work it out. But yeah, nice response, could have done without the swearing and less of the satire.

And it was actually a 2011 A... :colondollar:

Maybe it's a sign that more people are working harder at Higher English?

And aye, it is a bit ironic that you're bemoaning the fact that better pass rates are devaluing the qualification, considering your A was obtained as late as 2011 and the pass rate has been on the rise for years :eek:

P.s. I have a 2008 A, so :tongue: (joke)
Reply 4
A higher pass rate doesn't necessarily mean more As, and given Higher English is seen by most as hard to pass and hard get an A in, your statement perhaps goes a bit far.

The way in which the SQA controls pass rates etc. is supposed to prevent too much grade inflation I think - they look at the centres' estimates, comments and opinions from the examiners and markers on the examination paper and candidates' responses, the National Rating of the subject for the past few years (this indicates the relative difficulty of the subject compared to other subjects at that level, in that year), information on grade boundaries and pass rates for the subject over the past three years (source http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa//31758.html awarding meetings).
Reply 5
I have to admit i agree with the OP to a point. Whilst English is still one of the more difficult subjects, simply because of the nature of it, they are without a doubt attempting to subtly water it down with the introduction of the Folio and the extended time for the Close Reading. However i do not anticipate next years pass mark to be so low, we got it lucky being the guinea pigs of the folio experiment.
For yourself, OP, i can see why you would be frustrated after putting in alot of work to make sure to obtain your A only to have others that put in the minimal getting C's and B's without breaking a sweat; and for some hitting it lucky and scraping the A.

For myself cannot help but be pleased with the lowered pass marks as English has never been a strong subject of mines, despite putting in effort. I achieved a B this year which i am more than satisfied with, however like yourself in the back of my mind i know that there are many fellow B's that simply did not deserve it, and i would also predict many more in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by Electronica
Found this out while I was raking through all the SQA statistics, anyone else agree that this subject is becoming a bit of a joke? Especially with the introduction of the new folio. I'm a bit sick of the SQA devaluing the qualifications here there and everywhere just to make them and their curriculum for excellence look all nice and fancy when really they're practically letting everyone who wants to pass, pass.

I'm afraid that if this keeps going at its current rate, one day my A in English will be worth nothing because - guess what - everyone has one!

Your thoughts on the matter?

Not everyone has an A - that's in fact far from the truth! English is the subject the majority of people find extremely difficult so your comment was in many way selfish as the majority of people struggle to even get a B.
Only 18% of entrants into Higher English got an A last year, the majority (about 27%) got a C. Sorry, but it's not an easy subject to get an A.

Source is the External Assessment report for last year.
Reply 8
Where is the link that tells you grade boundarys?
Original post by Delaney
Oh my word, THREE POINT FOUR PER CENT.

3.4% is nothing, your precious little A will still be as valuable in a decade because if the SQA have buggered up as royally as you're insinuating, recruiters will know that any A grade gained after 2010 will be worthless, while your darling pre-2010 A will be valuable.

Please get a grip mate.

Rightfully repped.

Worse things have happened in the world.
Original post by S119234
Only 18% of entrants into Higher English got an A last year, the majority (about 27%) got a C. Sorry, but it's not an easy subject to get an A.

Source is the External Assessment report for last year.

I find English really tough.

Quick Reply