The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher German, tips?

I am crashing Higher German this year and am wondering what I should be doing over the holidays to get a better knowledge? All tips appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by paramore28
I am crashing Higher German this year and am wondering what I should be doing over the holidays to get a better knowledge? All tips appreciated :smile:

hey im crashing higher german too, so far iv been looking over the basics - numbers, days/months, where you live, what your called, pets, personal description, the present tense. I've been using this website http://www.languagesonline.org.uk/ and also i would recommend getting help from any friends who have already done higher german because they can help you with pronunciation :smile: im really enjoying it so far but it is soo different from french and spanish which im used to studying :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by beth..
hey im crashing higher german too, so far iv been looking over the basics - numbers, days/months, where you live, what your called, pets, personal description, the present tense. I've been using this website http://www.languagesonline.org.uk/ and also i would recommend getting help from any friends who have already done higher german because they can help you with pronunciation :smile: im really enjoying it so far but it is soo different from french and spanish which im used to studying :tongue:

thank you for the tips! i was determined to learn loads this summer and i can see this summer passing and i'll have done nothing as it's nearly the end of week 3 already! D: i agree! i'm doing french, spanish and italian this year and it's soooo different from them :P
hey guys i'm doing crash higher german too :smile: So far I've been piling up the vocab and grammar and been working on past papers, moving on to int 2 this week since i keep getting 100% in Int 1! I'm really surprised at how well I'm adapting to German; like you said, it's very different to French! I'd say right now my listening and reading are the strongest. Leaving writing till after summer i think... I'd recommend the My Daily Phrase German podcasts to increase your speaking ability and just general phrases and stuff :smile: Start small and work your way up. I try to do a little German every day. Any of you doing the bacc? This is hence why I am doing crash German and why I'm putting so much effort in - I really want a distinction in the Bacc :smile: Although naturlich my love of languages comes in here too :wink:

Good luck with German!
How many people in your school are doing crash Higher German? I'm the only one in my school doing German at ANY LEVEL! Although I am the only German student since the 80s o_O
Reply 4
thank you for the tips! i was determined to learn loads this summer and i can see this summer passing and i'll have done nothing as it's nearly the end of week 3 already! D: i agree! i'm doing french, spanish and italian this year and it's soooo different from them :P

haha yeah iv kinda not done much in the past week been focusing more on my driving theory tbh :tongue: but im gonna make an more of an effort to do some everyday so that when i start the course i actually have some clue on what im doing... hopefully :crossedf:

Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
hey guys i'm doing crash higher german too :smile: So far I've been piling up the vocab and grammar and been working on past papers, moving on to int 2 this week since i keep getting 100% in Int 1! I'm really surprised at how well I'm adapting to German; like you said, it's very different to French! I'd say right now my listening and reading are the strongest. Leaving writing till after summer i think... I'd recommend the My Daily Phrase German podcasts to increase your speaking ability and just general phrases and stuff :smile: Start small and work your way up. I try to do a little German every day. Any of you doing the bacc? This is hence why I am doing crash German and why I'm putting so much effort in - I really want a distinction in the Bacc :smile: Although naturlich my love of languages comes in here too :wink:

Good luck with German!
How many people in your school are doing crash Higher German? I'm the only one in my school doing German at ANY LEVEL! Although I am the only German student since the 80s o_O

Wow int 2 already you must be great at languages! Sadly they dont do the bac at my school which is a shame as i would have been eligible :frown: Im going to be doing the higher German at college as there was only 4 of us wanting to do it so my school wouldnt run it, they're not too bothered about languages so im having to do my advanced spanish online which i see as being a bit of a challenge, luckily they let the advanced french class run tho :smile:. I'll definitely be trying those podcasts :biggrin:
Original post by beth..
Wow int 2 already you must be great at languages! Sadly they dont do the bac at my school which is a shame as i would have been eligible :frown: Im going to be doing the higher German at college as there was only 4 of us wanting to do it so my school wouldnt run it, they're not too bothered about languages so im having to do my advanced spanish online which i see as being a bit of a challenge, luckily they let the advanced french class run tho :smile:. I'll definitely be trying those podcasts :biggrin:

Yeah the podcasts are great, languages online is good and also I first started using "gut!" :smile: How many classes of German do you have a week then? You are really lucky that your school at least does 3 languages, mine only does French officially and even so I don't have AH French classes :frown: I was meant to have one class a week but the teacher just left so now I have no classes :frown: I have to do practically all of it on scholar. However luckily I get on well with my German/French teacher who kind of oversees the bacc jointly with my English teacher, so I've just asked her to sit in with the Higher class so I'm not away from Frenchness. :P Do you do any class helping in the language department? I work with my German/French teacher 4 hours a week :smile: Sucks you can't do the bacc! Are you planning to do languages at uni next year? :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah the podcasts are great, languages online is good and also I first started using "gut!" :smile: How many classes of German do you have a week then? You are really lucky that your school at least does 3 languages, mine only does French officially and even so I don't have AH French classes :frown: I was meant to have one class a week but the teacher just left so now I have no classes :frown: I have to do practically all of it on scholar. However luckily I get on well with my German/French teacher who kind of oversees the bacc jointly with my English teacher, so I've just asked her to sit in with the Higher class so I'm not away from Frenchness. :P Do you do any class helping in the language department? I work with my German/French teacher 4 hours a week :smile: Sucks you can't do the bacc! Are you planning to do languages at uni next year? :smile:

Em i think its gonna be two 1hr classes a week at the college and the german teacher said she'd help us too :smile:. Oh no, no classes thats not too great, but im sure you'll be fine, and i suppose its good prep for uni anyway with all the independent learning you'll be doing :wink:. Yeah im gonna apply for languages for next year, was thinking St Andrews, Heriot-Watt or Aberdeen, what about you?
Original post by beth..
Em i think its gonna be two 1hr classes a week at the college and the german teacher said she'd help us too :smile:. Oh no, no classes thats not too great, but im sure you'll be fine, and i suppose its good prep for uni anyway with all the independent learning you'll be doing :wink:. Yeah im gonna apply for languages for next year, was thinking St Andrews, Heriot-Watt or Aberdeen, what about you?

Yeah I guess so! :smile: Yes I'm definitely applying for languages for 2012, going to open days at St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Stirling and Strathclyde, the top 4 being my preferences :biggrin: I guess I'll maybe see you at some open days then? What languages are you looking at doing? What day are you going to St Andrews? :smile: Ooh I made language spreadsheets for Scottish unis if you want to have a look :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah I guess so! :smile: Yes I'm definitely applying for languages for 2012, going to open days at St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Stirling and Strathclyde, the top 4 being my preferences :biggrin: I guess I'll maybe see you at some open days then? What languages are you looking at doing? What day are you going to St Andrews? :smile: Ooh I made language spreadsheets for Scottish unis if you want to have a look :smile:

I'm going to apply for French and Spanish, (and maybe German or Russian for St Andrews), what about you?. Em im not sure which open day im going to there's so many! I live closeby, in Dundee, so il probably decide nearer the time. Have you applied for Aberdeen's open day yet? I keep meaning to but I never seem to get around to it :rolleyes: I was really considering Edinburgh for a while but then my french teacher told me all her past pupils who went there to do languages hated it :s-smilie: Ye i'd love to have a look at those spreadsheets, you're so organised! :biggrin:
Original post by beth..
I'm going to apply for French and Spanish, (and maybe German or Russian for St Andrews), what about you?. Em im not sure which open day im going to there's so many! I live closeby, in Dundee, so il probably decide nearer the time. Have you applied for Aberdeen's open day yet? I keep meaning to but I never seem to get around to it :rolleyes: I was really considering Edinburgh for a while but then my french teacher told me all her past pupils who went there to do languages hated it :s-smilie: Ye i'd love to have a look at those spreadsheets, you're so organised! :biggrin:

Just really enthusiastic :biggrin: I'm looking at French, Spanish, German and Gaelic in different unis right now but I'd like to go somewhere with a good variety which St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh certainly seem to have! That doesn't sound too good about Edinburgh :s-smilie: I'll go to them all anyway to see where I fit best. All depends on the atmosphere and modules and stuff :smile: And exam results... Dreading those next week; I don't want them to shatter my perfect little world. :frown: Yeah I've booked my Aberdeen open day :smile: Doesn't take long! You should come to the 19th Oct open day for St Andrews, at least then I'll know someone if we see each other before hand at Aberdeen! :L I shall get those spreadsheets to you somehow, soon :smile:
Just to pop into your thread - I did Spanish at Edinburgh if any of you have any questions, I know a lot of people who did it with French and various other languages too. I don't know anyone who hated doing languages at Edinburgh though so I'm not sure where that's come from :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Just really enthusiastic :biggrin: I'm looking at French, Spanish, German and Gaelic in different unis right now but I'd like to go somewhere with a good variety which St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh certainly seem to have! That doesn't sound too good about Edinburgh :s-smilie: I'll go to them all anyway to see where I fit best. All depends on the atmosphere and modules and stuff :smile: And exam results... Dreading those next week; I don't want them to shatter my perfect little world. :frown: Yeah I've booked my Aberdeen open day :smile: Doesn't take long! You should come to the 19th Oct open day for St Andrews, at least then I'll know someone if we see each other before hand at Aberdeen! :L I shall get those spreadsheets to you somehow, soon :smile:

Results a week today:eek: Finally booked Aberdeen open day :smile: Are your parents going with you to your open days? Mines want to but I kinda dont want them to come, is that fair or am I just being a tad harsh? It's just uni is about you becoming more independent, but then again it is just an open day :s-smilie:
Original post by oxymoronic
Just to pop into your thread - I did Spanish at Edinburgh if any of you have any questions, I know a lot of people who did it with French and various other languages too. I don't know anyone who hated doing languages at Edinburgh though so I'm not sure where that's come from :s-smilie:

Haha i think you just put Edinburgh back on my list :wink:. Em so how many languages do you get to study there then? I looked at the website but it just confused me, but then again im easily confused :tongue: Ooh and what are the lecturers like?
Original post by beth..
Results a week today:eek: Finally booked Aberdeen open day :smile: Are your parents going with you to your open days? Mines want to but I kinda dont want them to come, is that fair or am I just being a tad harsh? It's just uni is about you becoming more independent, but then again it is just an open day :s-smilie:

Haha i think you just put Edinburgh back on my list :wink:. Em so how many languages do you get to study there then? I looked at the website but it just confused me, but then again im easily confused :tongue: Ooh and what are the lecturers like?

They do 14 languages at Edinburgh! Not including the separate languages within studies such as Celtic or Asian! I don't think it's harsh you don't want your parents there, I completely understand, I feel the same but they want to come to see where I'm going; guess they want to be nosy! Yeah I'll probably just go off and do my own thing anyway and they can go to the parent specific workshops! :P I suppose it might be useful to have them if you don't know anyone else though... And saves on transport fares :biggrin:
- ignore the highlighted bits that's for my benefit! :P

Hope they're useful :smile:
They do 14 languages at Edinburgh! Not including the separate languages within studies such as Celtic or Asian! I don't think it's harsh you don't want your parents there, I completely understand, I feel the same but they want to come to see where I'm going; guess they want to be nosy! Yeah I'll probably just go off and do my own thing anyway and they can go to the parent specific workshops! :P I suppose it might be useful to have them if you don't know anyone else though... And saves on transport fares :biggrin:
Reply 14

Suppose you do have a good point there about the free travel :wink: Can't wait for open days, just have to get Thursday out of the way first though :cry2:
Original post by beth..
Suppose you do have a good point there about the free travel :wink: Can't wait for open days, just have to get Thursday out of the way first though :cry2:

eek :cry2:
Reply 16
wow, i have definitely neglected my thread haha! how'd you guys do in your exams? :smile:
I got AABBC which hopefully with an appeal will turn into AAABC so hopefully I'll get in to uni this year! So glad the pressure and fear is over :smile: How about the rest of you?
Reply 18
I got AAAAA, think must have had an extremely nice marker for maths :smile:

Hey! I'm crashing Higher German too but I'm really worried I'll struggle with it! What more have you done?

Good luck with German!

I might just do that too! That's a shame about you being the only person doing German, what's the offering for French/other languages like? Does nobody do German at Int 2/SG?

Original post by beth..
haha yeah iv kinda not done much in the past week been focusing more on my driving theory tbh :tongue: but im gonna make an more of an effort to do some everyday so that when i start the course i actually have some clue on what im doing... hopefully :crossedf:

Did you pass your theory :smile:? If not good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending