The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by alex_hk90
They obviously gave me the benefit of the doubt. :h:

I only had about a line on each of the books - some were literally mentioned in passing IIRC (I don't dare look at my PS as it really wasn't great) - and I think there were so overly general statements combined with book-dropping (ugh).

At least you are helping people from making the same mistakes :tongue: Although I've narrowed down to Pembroke and Emma. And if they like book dropping then maybe I should change it back.... :wink:
Original post by Tateco
Where did you end up firming and insuring in the end? I remember seeing you posting in some threads earlier this year :smile:

QMUL and insuring Royal holloway :colondollar:
didnt apply outside London otherwise i could hav gotten somewhere better and got rejected by lse for eco and eco history
Reply 902
Original post by Iqbal007
QMUL and insuring Royal holloway :colondollar:
didnt apply outside London otherwise i could hav gotten somewhere better and got rejected by lse for eco and eco history

Nothing to be embarrassed about, they're good universities :smile:

I'm sure most people have regrets about their university choices :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco
At least you are helping people from making the same mistakes :tongue: Although I've narrowed down to Pembroke and Emma.

Those were my final two as well. Pembroke Open Day (in the Easter holiday) won me over before Emma Open Day (which for me was the first half of the Cambridge Open Day in the summer) had a chance (and it wasn't as good anyway :nah:).

Original post by Tateco
And if they like book dropping then maybe I should change it back.... :wink:

If you do and post that redraft in the PS Help forum, you may find that we're all suspiciously too busy to help you. :wink:
Original post by Tateco
Nothing to be embarrassed about, they're good universities :smile:

I'm sure most people have regrets about their university choices :biggrin:

yh i suppose, i just got to make them stick, place starting salaries at QMUL are like 6 in the coutry
Reply 905
Original post by alex_hk90
Those were my final two as well. Pembroke Open Day (in the Easter holiday) won me over before Emma Open Day (which for me was the first half of the Cambridge Open Day in the summer) had a chance (and it wasn't as good anyway :nah:).

If you do and post that redraft in the PS Help forum, you may find that we're all suspiciously too busy to help you. :wink:

Haha :tongue: point made :wink: I have no idea how I'm going to decide between these two colleges :confused:
Original post by Tateco
I have no idea how I'm going to decide between these two colleges :confused:

Coin toss? :tongue:
Reply 907
If it possible, add me please )
Original post by Ekimtsev
If it possible, add me please )

As mentioned a few posts above, you need to go to "Community" - "Social Groups" and then find the society and request to join. :smile:
I just noticed that this society now has over 500 members. :woo: We must be one of the few societies that seems to gain members quicker than our thread gains posts. :redface: :tongue:
Reply 910
eerm Alex HI :colondollar: ,
My A-levels are
Maths ,
Further Maths ,
Economics ,
Acccounts (dunno why i chose this :confused:)
My AS results are due in 3 weeks , and im sure I'll get A grades (hopefully) but Im not sure most of them will be above 90%, Im really lazy and actually revised a month before the exams so I didnt perform to my optimal level , but for my A2's Im confident to get A-stars in at least Maths and Further maths. Im also going to apply to uni in my gap year :s-smilie:
I wanna do economics at uni ? Do you think I can have a stab at applying to Cambridge ?
Cheers man :smile:
Original post by mr_miagi
eerm Alex HI :colondollar: ,
My A-levels are
Maths ,
Further Maths ,
Economics ,
Acccounts (dunno why i chose this :confused:)
My AS results are due in 3 weeks , and im sure I'll get A grades (hopefully) but Im not sure most of them will be above 90%, Im really lazy and actually revised a month before the exams so I didnt perform to my optimal level , but for my A2's Im confident to get A-stars in at least Maths and Further maths. Im also going to apply to uni in my gap year :s-smilie:
I wanna do economics at uni ? Do you think I can have a stab at applying to Cambridge ?
Cheers man :smile:

Provided you get what you think you will (i.e. at least A*A*AA), you should get an interview and thus will have a chance. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 912
so me taking a gap year will not be a problem ? Do you know anybody who has taken a gap year and got an offer for Economics ?
Original post by mr_miagi
so me taking a gap year will not be a problem ? Do you know anybody who has taken a gap year and got an offer for Economics ?

As long as you do something useful and keep up your maths / stats it shouldn't be a problem. I don't personally know anyone who took a gap year but I've seen quite a few on here with offers who have. :smile:

Thanks for sharing this - it was an interesting read. :smile:

I would guess that the issue with input markets is that they're very strategic - the government does not want to give up power (pun unintended) to control these fundamental industries since so much else relies on them.

And what exactly is the Indian government getting wrong (as you conclude they are)? It wasn't entirely clear to me.
Thank you :smile:

That's interesting actually, it's true in a way, if you control the market for inputs you control other markets that radiate from the core. Which means, you are in control (direct and indirect) of a considerable amount.

They are getting it wrong in that their presence in the market is too much. The Government is hindering competition and hindering new firms entering the market. Chiefly, they aren't realising that where they can make the most impact is in areas like Education and Infrastructure where their efforts are still needed. In the functioning of markets, they need to take a back-seat.
Reply 917
Oh the joys of economics =D

New to the thread, current A levels:
Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Accounting.

Why was I so confident accounting was a route to take? haha, bad choice, cant even take it in higher uni's as they require B in english, where i got C...

Damn, wish i took physics now instead. But worry over =D

Is there anyone here doing economics at degree level or has done it? If so, could i just ask what is it like? For example a big jump from A level to degree, heard people struggle with econometrics, and economic history will be a major pisstake...
Reply 918
The jump from A-levels to Bachelors is a big one, although the first year will be similar to A2 level. After that, econ will become more quantitative in nature. I am talking about the North American system though, but I doubt the British system is a whole lot different.

The biggest jump is from undergrad to masters though, it is huge. You might wonder at some point whether you are doing econ or math.

I am currently in masters, so I don't know how big the jump is from masters to PhD, but it won't be as big as undergrad to masters from what I gather.
Reply 919
Forgot to add, econometrics at undergrad level isn't that difficult. I am doing masters in econ and I don't know a lot of economic history, and that doesn't hamper my understanding. If economic history is not required for you guys and you don't like it, don't bother with it. Econometrics is very important though.

If you want to pursue economics beyond undergrad, you MUST be good in mathematics. Calculus and Proofs, to be precise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending