The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher German, tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by matthewjsinclair
Hey! I'm crashing Higher German too but I'm really worried I'll struggle with it! What more have you done?

I've been doing some grammar exercises on languagesonline and looking over vocab and things but it's so difficult! A girl in the year above me crashed it last year and got an A and she told me to focus on grammar and directed writing :P Atm I'm just aiming for a C, but I'd love to get higher than that haha. What have you done? :smile: You doing any other languages this year?
Original post by beth..
I got AAAAA, think must have had an extremely nice marker for maths :smile:

aah you are sooo lucky! Congrats :smile:

I might just do that too! That's a shame about you being the only person doing German, what's the offering for French/other languages like? Does nobody do German at Int 2/SG?

We do Standard Grade, Int 2, Higher and AH French at my school but there's no teacher for AH French really as usually only 1 person on average takes it each year! Worried no-one will succeed me next year :frown: Yeah so I'll be doing most of that online on scholar, although I've asked to sit in with the Highers too. Up until this coming year we have had absolutely no German taught in our school for over 20 years. I am the only person in the school doing German at any level as it is not offered as a subject choice. The only reason I get to do it is because of my bac and because I have a flair with French. Originally, we were going to introduce an int 2 German course for the first time this year but not enough people selected it so it was dropped. I really don't mind being the only one for German as it means I can get one on one tuition :smile: Only downfall is one of my friends has an absolute grudge against me now about German because she asked to do it when she found out I was and was declined because I don't have set classes as such and it would be impossible for my poor German/French teacher to accomodate her too... Yeah so that's a bit awkward, but hopefully this year will be good! :smile: What have you been doing over the summer to prepare for going back?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by paramore28

I've been doing some grammar exercises on languagesonline and looking over vocab and things but it's so difficult! A girl in the year above me crashed it last year and got an A and she told me to focus on grammar and directed writing :P Atm I'm just aiming for a C, but I'd love to get higher than that haha. What have you done? :smile: You doing any other languages this year?

Oh thanks I'll do that then :biggrin:

I've been reading a lot of basic German things like numbers, phrases etc just to get myself familiarised and looking online at German websites - I can't understand a lot of it but I use translator to work out what it says and note down some key words that I know could come in handy for writing exercises and talking about myself.

I would like to pass but yes ideally aiming for a good grade! But only time will tell haha :smile: Sadly I'm only doing German - I have a 1 in French but there wasn't really space for me to take it last year as a Higher then this year I thought why not try something new - might be a terrible decision! What did you take last year?
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette

We do Standard Grade, Int 2, Higher and AH French at my school but there's no teacher for AH French really as usually only 1 person on average takes it each year! Worried no-one will succeed me next year :frown: Yeah so I'll be doing most of that online on scholar, although I've asked to sit in with the Highers too. Up until this coming year we have had absolutely no German taught in our school for over 20 years. I am the only person in the school doing German at any level as it is not offered as a subject choice. The only reason I get to do it is because of my bac and because I have a flair with French. Originally, we were going to introduce an int 2 German course for the first time this year but not enough people selected it so it was dropped. I really don't mind being the only one for German as it means I can get one on one tuition :smile: Only downfall is one of my friends has an absolute grudge against me now about German because she asked to do it when she found out I was and was declined because I don't have set classes as such and it would be impossible for my poor German/French teacher to accomodate her too... Yeah so that's a bit awkward, but hopefully this year will be good! :smile: What have you been doing over the summer to prepare for going back?

That's a shame about your friend! I've had that same experience during Music in 5th Year - but luckily they got over it, eventually :P

I've been reading up on the basics in German and also looking at some websites, even venturing into news sites (with a lot of help from Google Translate!) just to get to grips with the language and the grammar for writing exercises. I really love it so far!

It's bad languages aren't pushed as much as they are in other countries (I think I just found an essay topic!) but I suppose in the current climate people will want to take subjects which will lead to a better chance of employment after university. Still I think we should be encouraged to take at least one language to Higher!
That's a shame about your friend! I've had that same experience during Music in 5th Year - but luckily they got over it, eventually :P

I've been reading up on the basics in German and also looking at some websites, even venturing into news sites (with a lot of help from Google Translate!) just to get to grips with the language and the grammar for writing exercises. I really love it so far!

It's bad languages aren't pushed as much as they are in other countries (I think I just found an essay topic!) but I suppose in the current climate people will want to take subjects which will lead to a better chance of employment after university. Still I think we should be encouraged to take at least one language to Higher!

Wow, sounds like you're doing well! :smile: I think I'd crash and burn if I tried to read a German news site haha :P Yeah I'm enjoying German too, it's just the structures, articles and stuff that's a tad challenging, but hopefully I'll be sorted by the exam :biggrin:

Oh and I completely agree with the last paragraph! Though I do think that there are many prospects and chances of employability with a languages degree; languages really are essential in this day and age! Funny you mentioned languages not being pushed enough here, that's what my IP topic is! :biggrin: So what are you wanting to do at uni? Are you taking many other subjects this year?
Wow, sounds like you're doing well! :smile: I think I'd crash and burn if I tried to read a German news site haha :P Yeah I'm enjoying German too, it's just the structures, articles and stuff that's a tad challenging, but hopefully I'll be sorted by the exam :biggrin:

Oh and I completely agree with the last paragraph! Though I do think that there are many prospects and chances of employability with a languages degree; languages really are essential in this day and age! Funny you mentioned languages not being pushed enough here, that's what my IP topic is! :biggrin: So what are you wanting to do at uni? Are you taking many other subjects this year?

I like reading stuff like this: http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15310019,00.html (easy to get the gist of it!)

Yeah the structure is really difficult! What subjects did you do in Fifth Year and what ones this year :smile:

Yeah there are of course a lot of jobs :smile: but I think the general feeling is languages aren't as worthy, sadly!

I'm currently undecided about uni, I'm terrible! What about you?

This year I'm taking AH Biology, AH Chemistry, AH Modern Studies and Higher German (though this may change when I go back to school)!

Edit: I'm now taking AH Maths in place of AH Modern Studies :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm applying for French, although I do want to do a couple other languages too but am yet undecided whether to apply for a ML degree or just a French one. Last year I did Higher Art & Design, English, French, History and Maths and this year I'm doing AH English, AH French, Higher German and the Scottish Baccalaureate in Languages :smile: What did you do last year?
Thanks for the link, it doesn't actually look too difficult! :smile: Will still need my trusty dictionary though hehe! Does seem a good idea to read that kind of articles I suppose though :smile:

I'm applying for French, although I do want to do a couple other languages too but am yet undecided whether to apply for a ML degree or just a French one. Last year I did Higher Art & Design, English, French, History and Maths and this year I'm doing AH English, AH French, Higher German and the Scottish Baccalaureate in Languages :smile: What did you do last year?
Thanks for the link, it doesn't actually look too difficult! :smile: Will still need my trusty dictionary though hehe! Does seem a good idea to read that kind of articles I suppose though :smile:

Ah good luck :smile: where are you thinking of applying?

I did Higher Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths, Modern Studies and Music! How did yours turn out? Good luck with your subjects this year I'm sure they'll go great!! Are you looking forward to the Bac?
Ah good luck :smile: where are you thinking of applying?

I did Higher Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths, Modern Studies and Music! How did yours turn out? Good luck with your subjects this year I'm sure they'll go great!! Are you looking forward to the Bac?

i did alright, got AABBC. Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm really looking forward to the bacc :biggrin: Really excited for this year! I can't believe you did 6 Highers! :O How did you do?

I'm applying to StA, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and either Stirling or Strathclyde :smile: what about you, or do you not know where you want to go either? :L

i did alright, got AABBC. Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm really looking forward to the bacc :biggrin: Really excited for this year! I can't believe you did 6 Highers! :O How did you do?

I'm applying to StA, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and either Stirling or Strathclyde :smile: what about you, or do you not know where you want to go either? :L

I got AAAAAA :biggrin: so happy! Well done on your results!

Ah great :biggrin: I'm going to apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow definitely, other ones I'm thinking about are Aberdeen and St Andrews, maybe an English university or two but that would mean conditions on my Advanced Highers (which would suck!)

What do you do out of school? What are your plans for S6?
I got AAAAAA :biggrin: so happy! Well done on your results!

Ah great :biggrin: I'm going to apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow definitely, other ones I'm thinking about are Aberdeen and St Andrews, maybe an English university or two but that would mean conditions on my Advanced Highers (which would suck!)

What do you do out of school? What are your plans for S6?

Ah well done! But OMG depressing: is everyone on here 10x smarter than me? :frown:
Yeah I would not like to get conditions on my AHs! Plus if I went to England I'd have to pay tuition fees which frankly, I can't afford. I'll maybe see you at a few open days then? :smile:
Out of school I'm a competitive synchronised swimmer, work 2 jobs, am a member of a local youth forum and HYV (links with the SYP) and in my spare time [not that I get a lot] teach myself Gaelic and Spanish or come on here :P What about yourself? :smile:
Don't know what you mean exactly by plans for S6 but of course I'm doing those courses, all my extra-curriculars, doing 4 hours a week work experience teaching French in school from S1-4, hopefully going to get placements as well for two local primary schools to teach them languages and I'm gonna join my school's gymnastics team too. I'm also a Prefect and Buddy! S6 is gonna be pretty jam-packed but should be lots of fun - looking forward to the common room :biggrin: You?
What region are you from?

Ah well done! But OMG depressing: is everyone on here 10x smarter than me? :frown:
Yeah I would not like to get conditions on my AHs! Plus if I went to England I'd have to pay tuition fees which frankly, I can't afford. I'll maybe see you at a few open days then? :smile:
Out of school I'm a competitive synchronised swimmer, work 2 jobs, am a member of a local youth forum and HYV (links with the SYP) and in my spare time [not that I get a lot] teach myself Gaelic and Spanish or come on here :P What about yourself? :smile:
Don't know what you mean exactly by plans for S6 but of course I'm doing those courses, all my extra-curriculars, doing 4 hours a week work experience teaching French in school from S1-4, hopefully going to get placements as well for two local primary schools to teach them languages and I'm gonna join my school's gymnastics team too. I'm also a Prefect and Buddy! S6 is gonna be pretty jam-packed but should be lots of fun - looking forward to the common room :biggrin: You?
What region are you from?

Thank you :smile: and I had to push to be allowed to do Music (not by the department but by the school) - and I sidelined my social life too much last year - I aim to make up for that this year! :biggrin:

Yes :smile:! Which is the first you're headed to? Have you started on any form of personal statement?

Wow! Someone is pretty active! Haha :smile: how is swimming? What jobs do you do?

I've left a lot of questions there so I'll shut up! PM me if you want to chat more :smile:
Reply 33
I would like to pass but yes ideally aiming for a good grade! But only time will tell haha :smile: Sadly I'm only doing German - I have a 1 in French but there wasn't really space for me to take it last year as a Higher then this year I thought why not try something new - might be a terrible decision! What did you take last year?

Last year I took, H Art & Design, H Maths, H English, H Music & H French.
This year I'm thinking of doing Modern Studies too, I see you took that last year, how is it? Is it difficult? Hahaha :P
I can't believe you did 6 highers! :redface: well done on your results! hahaha :smile:

No, I got ABBBC haha, so not so depressing! :P

Last year I took, H Art & Design, H Maths, H English, H Music & H French.
This year I'm thinking of doing Modern Studies too, I see you took that last year, how is it? Is it difficult? Hahaha :P
I can't believe you did 6 highers! :redface: well done on your results! hahaha :smile:

I really enjoyed Modern Studies! A lot of people seemed to find it could be difficult to do the essays in the time constraints but I just did a lot of practice at home :smile: Do that and read read read around current events and you're fine :biggrin:

What other subjects are you doing (sorry if you've said I'm beginning to lose track a little!)?

Thank you! I didn't think I'd do that well but I'm so glad I managed it! :smile:
Reply 35
I really enjoyed Modern Studies! A lot of people seemed to find it could be difficult to do the essays in the time constraints but I just did a lot of practice at home :smile: Do that and read read read around current events and you're fine :biggrin:

What other subjects are you doing (sorry if you've said I'm beginning to lose track a little!)?

Thank you! I didn't think I'd do that well but I'm so glad I managed it! :smile:

Thank you! I shall do that! :biggrin:

I'm doing AH French, H German & H Spanish as well :smile:

You'll have no problem with unis now haha :P where are you hoping to go and what are you hoping to do? :smile:
Thank you :smile: and I had to push to be allowed to do Music (not by the department but by the school) - and I sidelined my social life too much last year - I aim to make up for that this year! :biggrin:

Yes :smile:! Which is the first you're headed to? Have you started on any form of personal statement?

Wow! Someone is pretty active! Haha :smile: how is swimming? What jobs do you do?

I've left a lot of questions there so I'll shut up! PM me if you want to chat more :smile:

Aberdeen first then Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow, Stirling and finally in October StA! Which are you going to? And no, I haven't started my own personal statement yet but I have lots of ideas and have been researching it a lot :smile: Yourself?

Yeah I am pretty active! What extra-curriculars etc. do you do? Swimming is good, I'm currently top in the country for my age group :smile: I do babysitting and am a checkout girl at Sainsbury's :smile: Got paid today and have bought lots of french lit and film and a huge German dictionary :biggrin: Exciting :wink:

Haha that's not too many questions! You haven't done H French have you?
Thank you! I shall do that! :biggrin:

I'm doing AH French, H German & H Spanish as well :smile:

You'll have no problem with unis now haha :P where are you hoping to go and what are you hoping to do? :smile:

I've decided to do medicine but only 5 universities in Scotland offer it! So I'm looking at Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, St Andrews and Edinburgh and some in England like Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield and maybe Oxbridge if I think I've got a chance (though I'll probably chicken out!) :P

You?

Aberdeen first then Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow, Stirling and finally in October StA! Which are you going to? And no, I haven't started my own personal statement yet but I have lots of ideas and have been researching it a lot :smile: Yourself?

Yeah I am pretty active! What extra-curriculars etc. do you do? Swimming is good, I'm currently top in the country for my age group :smile: I do babysitting and am a checkout girl at Sainsbury's :smile: Got paid today and have bought lots of french lit and film and a huge German dictionary :biggrin: Exciting :wink:

Haha that's not too many questions! You haven't done H French have you?

I'm going to Aberdeen on the 30th! Are you? Yeah I'm jotting down a few ideas :smile:

I do music a lot and my other extracurriculars are things like squash, swimming, running (though I've not done as much of that last year with my subjects). I'm doing my Duke of Edinburgh through scouts where I'm a leader and in school I'm deputy head boy, so this year is going to be a busy one!

Congrats on swimming!

Nope sadly not I could have but decided I wanted a challenge this year so opted for German! How did you find French?
Reply 38
aah you are sooo lucky! Congrats :smile:

Thanks, well done on your results too :smile: so glad fifth year is over :biggrin:

Did you pass your theory :smile:? If not good luck!

Not yet I think im gonna book it soon, im pretty confident but if i fail thats a complete waste of £30, but suppose im gonna have to do it sometime:rolleyes:
Reply 39
I've decided to do medicine but only 5 universities in Scotland offer it! So I'm looking at Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, St Andrews and Edinburgh and some in England like Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield and maybe Oxbridge if I think I've got a chance (though I'll probably chicken out!) :P

You?

Wow medicine! Hahaha, I think you'd have a good shot at Oxbridge with your grades! :P I was at the St Andrews Sutton Trust Summer School and everyone that I know that did medicine there loved it haha :smile: I want to do French and either Spanish, German or Russian (I'm indecisive haha) at Glasgow or Edinburgh, but my grades are near the lower end of the entry requirements so I'm really hoping for a conditional haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending