The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Uni mature students

Hello!
I'm a mature student (25) starting at Glasgow Uni next month. I'm moving to Glasgow in a few weeks, I've never been there before and don't know anybody there, so was wondering if there were any other mature students out there who'd like to meet up before freshers' week? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Me toooo! I'm 25 and live in the West End at the moment. Where are you going to be living? What you studying? :biggrin:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Yay! :biggrin: I'm not sure where I'm going to be living yet, hoping to find a room somewhere in the West End - hopefully there'll still be some decent ones left in September! I'm studying Computing Science, what about you?
Thank god I've found another (ahem) "mature" student!

I'm sure you'll find something! I know some good places to look if you need any help :smile:! I'm doing Earth Science. When are you moving through to Glasgow?
Reply 4
Thanks, I've been looking on Gumtree, spareroom.co.uk and EasyRoommate but let me know if you know any other good websites! :smile: I'm probably moving there the first week of September.

Are you looking forward to freshers' week, and are you going to get a freshers' pass? I can't decide if it's worth the money or not!
Reply 5
Hi!

I'm another 25 year old 'mature' student - scary thought :smile: I'm doing the PGDE (teacher training) so I actually start the week after next. I found the place I'm currently in on Gumtree and saw plenty of nice flats there. If you can stay relaxed about it, looking for a place can actually be quite fun!

Anyway, I only know one other person here so if anyone who's already here was up for a meetup to discuss when 25 became old I'd be interested in that :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by duckie07

Thanks, I've been looking on Gumtree, spareroom.co.uk and EasyRoommate but let me know if you know any other good websites! :smile: I'm probably moving there the first week of September.

Are you looking forward to freshers' week, and are you going to get a freshers' pass? I can't decide if it's worth the money or not!

http://www.glasgowstudent.net/advice/accommodation/
This may-be* helpful to you. You're going to love it here!!!!. Btw are you from the UK? (curious)

Edit: *
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by neil449
Hi!

I'm another 25 year old 'mature' student - scary thought :smile: I'm doing the PGDE (teacher training) so I actually start the week after next. I found the place I'm currently in on Gumtree and saw plenty of nice flats there. If you can stay relaxed about it, looking for a place can actually be quite fun!

Anyway, I only know one other person here so if anyone who's already here was up for a meetup to discuss when 25 became old I'd be interested in that :smile:

Yay, another one! :biggrin: Yeah I'm sure I'll find a place somewhere, it's just frustrating having to wait until September and not being able to do anything about it yet as I live quite far away...
Reply 8
Original post by plymeth1
http://www.glasgowstudent.net/advice/accommodation/
This may-be* helpful to you. You're going to love it here!!!!. Btw are you from the UK? (curious)

Edit: *

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I will love it there, everyone keeps telling me what a great city Glasgow is! I'm originally from Finland but have been living in Oxfordshire for 6 years. :smile:
Reply 9
^^ You can always hang out with us post grad students! ^^

What is your budget for accomodation (and budget for accomodation + bills)?

I am looking forward to freshers week :biggrin:! Not sure about the freshers pass though, because at the moment I don't know anyone else that's going to freshers week, so that's why I'm scouting these boards to see if anyone fancies hooking up lol!

Original post by neil449
Hi!

I'm up for a meetup to discuss when I became an oldie! I've found all my past and current flats on Gumtree - defo the best bet IMO!

Original post by reirei221
^^ You can always hang out with us post grad students! ^^

It's hard to find you though :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by angelchild09
What is your budget for accomodation (and budget for accomodation + bills)?

I am looking forward to freshers week :biggrin:! Not sure about the freshers pass though, because at the moment I don't know anyone else that's going to freshers week, so that's why I'm scouting these boards to see if anyone fancies hooking up lol!

My max budget is around £350/month (inc. bills) but the cheaper the better obviously (would prefer not to live in a total sh*thole though :smile: )!

Well I've decided to buy the pass now anyway, better safe than sorry! What events are you thinking of going to? I really want to go to the "Live Scottish Showcase" at the QMU on Monday the 12th, so if you fancy going to that and need someone to hang out with, I'm there lol! :biggrin:
Reply 12

It's hard to find you though :confused:

Let me know if you guys plan a meet up. I'll make an effort to come find you. I guess we do hide out in our own little corner. lol

~~^^~~
My max budget is around £350/month (inc. bills) but the cheaper the better obviously (would prefer not to live in a total sh*thole though :smile: )!

Well I've decided to buy the pass now anyway, better safe than sorry! What events are you thinking of going to? I really want to go to the "Live Scottish Showcase" at the QMU on Monday the 12th, so if you fancy going to that and need someone to hang out with, I'm there lol! :biggrin:

Hmm, you'l defo need to get a flatshare at that price - no 1 beds or studios would be as little as that.

Tbh I've not looked in great detail at the events yet, but the "Live Scottish Showcase" does look pretty awesome so I'm up for that!

Original post by reirei221
Let me know if you guys plan a meet up. I'll make an effort to come find you. I guess we do hide out in our own little corner. lol

~~^^~~

Shall do! It must be a pretty big corner to house all of the post-grads ;P!
Reply 14
Hmm, you'l defo need to get a flatshare at that price - no 1 beds or studios would be as little as that.

Tbh I've not looked in great detail at the events yet, but the "Live Scottish Showcase" does look pretty awesome so I'm up for that!

Great!! Yeah, it's definitely going to have to be a flatshare. I'm actually looking forward to sharing with other people, I'd be way too scared to live on my own in a strange city! :tongue:
Great!! Yeah, it's definitely going to have to be a flatshare. I'm actually looking forward to sharing with other people, I'd be way too scared to live on my own in a strange city! :tongue:

Yeah that's true! You might be able to get in with some other older students/student, as most 1st years (the younger ones anyway) go for student halls.

There is a newsagent on Byers road that has LOADS of flat ads in the window. It's famous for it lol! It would be a great place to look, but then I'm assuming that since you're coming up from Oxfordshire that you'll want accomodation sorted before you come up?! :P
Reply 16
Yeah that's true! You might be able to get in with some other older students/student, as most 1st years (the younger ones anyway) go for student halls.

There is a newsagent on Byers road that has LOADS of flat ads in the window. It's famous for it lol! It would be a great place to look, but then I'm assuming that since you're coming up from Oxfordshire that you'll want accomodation sorted before you come up?! :P

Thanks for the tip!! I'm flying there in 2 weeks time and I've booked accommodation for 3 nights, hoping that'll be enough time for me to find a place.. Getting a bit stressed about it already!
Reply 17
Ola I am a mature student too. I am 27 and will be studying English Lit and Psychology. I will be staying in halls though. I am not sure if I will go to freshers however it does seem a good idea to go and a great way to meet people. xxx
Thanks for the tip!! I'm flying there in 2 weeks time and I've booked accommodation for 3 nights, hoping that'll be enough time for me to find a place.. Getting a bit stressed about it already!

It should be okay, but see if you can arrange a few viewings via gumtree if you see any suitable ones, prior to flying just so you have a few potentials - should put your mind at rest a bit!

Original post by Magini
Ola I am a mature student too. I am 27 and will be studying English Lit and Psychology. I will be staying in halls though. I am not sure if I will go to freshers however it does seem a good idea to go and a great way to meet people. xxx

Cool, what halls are you staying in? I'm still not entirely sure about freshers either, but if you want to meet up and go then let me know!
Reply 19
Thanks Angelchild09! I am not sure what halls as yet as my offer was only very recently updated! What will you be studying? I think going to freshers is a good idea. For for social aspects. I think the Mature Students Association will be holding an event or have some info there. I will update you on halls when I know. Congratulations everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest