The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Wanting to study at Northumbria? Any questions? Ask here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Northumbria

It sounds like you having a really miserable time at the moment. I know how you feel with home sickness, but as soon as I go home I'll happily come back up here! :P
I think if you are unhappy at Bournemouth, and you have the chance to be able to come to Northumbria, go for it. At the end of the day, whether you have a degree at the end or not, you don't want to look back on it and think, I should made the change and come home. You've given living away from home a go, if it's not right for you, then you can change it. If you speak to Northumbria, give them a ring or email regarding you becoming a student and explain your situation, I'm sure we can make sure you are catered for and helped as much as possible.
If anyone else can offer advice it'd be helpful. There's only so much I can say, but I think that you should speak to your friends and family, maybe write out the pros and cons of each. But in all honesty, If you are homesick, it's generally not going to get better unless you are at home, unless you feel strong enough to power through for another year.
Has this helped at all? Hope I haven't rambled!

Seriously it has helped, so many people including my mum are saying its a shame to waste two years.. but at the end of the day i'd be going back to continue my studies.. even though i may have to wait until next sept to do it! i feeling crying, screaming and laughing all at once haha... bournemouth have made a mistake which i didnt explain above, see i failed two units and missed one exam because i was sick.. i filled in mitigating circumstances for the missed exam so was hoping they would let me resit the two failed and take the other exam for the first time... the results have come back and the head office are saying there is no record of any mitigation being handed in... so thats another reason as i feel like i have no energy to argue my case as i really cannot stay... eurgh UNIS!!!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by StacFace
In 2012/2013 based on a parental income of £44k you would be entitled to a £5,288 maintenance loan (the figures have been published for 2012/2013 they just haven't made a calculator for it yet as you can't apply for student finance yet), this will be paid in 3 instalments in your first year. It's for if you move out of your parent's home, so if you live in halls or private accomodation regardless of if you stay in the same area. At the end of first year you have to reapply through student finance to get another grant for your second year, if your parent's income stays the same you will get roughly the same, although it normally goes up a little to account for prices rising generally.

If you think about it it's not really a lot, if you were to live in the halls you mentioned that cost £4712.25 for a standard en-suite room then this would leave you with £575.75 to live off for the year, the typical contract length for halls from what I've seen on the website is 43 weeks, so if you divide the £575.75 by 43 you get just under £13.40 per week to live on. And remember you have food to come out of that as well as social activities, and it doesn't include any money for Christmas or the summer.

Can you please send me a link to these announcements of £44k income, getting a £5288 loan! Just a like to the figures being published? Just need to see it for myself

Thanks for the help & advice though, I'll be careful of how I spend it obviously :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by accountant-future
Can you please send me a link to these announcements of £44k income, getting a £5288 loan! Just a like to the figures being published? Just need to see it for myself

Thanks for the help & advice though, I'll be careful of how I spend it obviously :smile:

It's on the Northumbria website, they wouldn't be allowed to publish the table if the government were still deciding (unless they said something that clearly states that is what might be available and it could be less).

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/courses/ug/studfees/2012fees/?view=Standard

(It's the third table down)
Thank you for the link, it's proving helpful :smile:

this will be paid in 3 instalments in your first year. It's for if you move out of your parent's home, so if you live in halls or private accomodation regardless of if you stay in the same area. At the end of first year you have to reapply through student finance to get another grant for your second year

Just a question here, I know you say you have to reapply for your 2nd year finance (imagine that's the same with the 3rd year too) -- do they get paid in the 3 instalments too?
Thank you for the link, it's proving helpful :smile:

Just a question here, I know you say you have to reapply for your 2nd year finance (imagine that's the same with the 3rd year too) -- do they get paid in the 3 instalments too?

Yes =)
I am most likely destined for clearing and right now my first choice would be Northumbria for Law. I know the entry requirements is ABB and my results would probably meet that if not just outside of it.

Do you think I have a shot at going to Northumbria for clearing ( if there are in clearing that is ) and do you think they would still have accomodation for people like me?
Reply 66
If you get the ABB and they're in clearing then you've got a reasonably good shot, if you are just outside and exceed ABB then you've got very good chances, but if you go under ABB then your chances are lower. It will depend on whether they like your personal statement, reference etc. as well as your grades, and if they think they'll get a better applicant.

In regard to accomodation the chances are you would have to commute from home for the first 3 weeks, by which time accomodation can normally be arranged. However this is in no way guaranteed and it is possible that they will be unable to offer you accomodation at any point. You could try and find out if any current 2nd/3rd etc year students have a spare room in private houses if you'd like to live close to the uni, you may be lucky and find 3 students in a 4-bed house or similar who would be happy to have someone move into the 4th bedroom to get their rent lowered. Try looking on places like the discussion board on the Northumbria Facebook page.
I get my results on the 11th of August, should I contact them straightaway although track is not updated until the 18th of August?
Thanks, not sure if I've entered the right info in but it's saying I'm entitled to a lot of stuff despite my parents earning near £40k between them!

"If you live away from parental home -- £4595"

Is that if I merely decide to move out of my parent's home - I'll get that amount, or does it mean I need to move to another region to get that amount?

Will have to wait for the 2012/2013 calculator to come out soonish though, will be better to use that I imagine :P

& ahhh right, I see -- so it is £110.25 per person, fair enough -- knew it was a long shot :tongue:

& just as a final point, these loans...are they per year or are they a one-off payment?

There will be definitions of what each thing means on the directgov website which might make things a bit clearer for you. It's hard for me to answer as we do not deal with your loans or maintenance grants :smile:
They are per year and you have to reapply each year (just confirming same information pretty much, unless parents circumstances have changed). So each year you'll get 5-6kish each academic year.
Original post by Jerdifferential
I am most likely destined for clearing and right now my first choice would be Northumbria for Law. I know the entry requirements is ABB and my results would probably meet that if not just outside of it.

Do you think I have a shot at going to Northumbria for clearing ( if there are in clearing that is ) and do you think they would still have accomodation for people like me?

It depends entirely on whether the course is full or not, with Law being one of our top schools, it is difficult to say at this time. And Northumbria cater to everyone as best as they can, regardless of whether you've applied via clearing or what not. We will try our best to place you somewhere suitable, but if you are worried, perhaps contact the accommodation office and explain your situation, asking what they recommend.
[email protected]

:smile:
It depends entirely on whether the course is full or not, with Law being one of our top schools, it is difficult to say at this time. And Northumbria cater to everyone as best as they can, regardless of whether you've applied via clearing or what not. We will try our best to place you somewhere suitable, but if you are worried, perhaps contact the accommodation office and explain your situation, asking what they recommend.
[email protected]

:smile:

Were they in clearing last year?
Reply 71

How come the gym costs so much compared to Sunderland/Teeside/Durham/colleges?

And is there any parking what-so-ever for City Campus East? Preferably thats not going to cost an arm and a leg. Live locally, but far enough that public transport is a pain.
Original post by RA3

And is there any parking what-so-ever for City Campus East? Preferably thats not going to cost an arm and a leg. Live locally, but far enough that public transport is a pain.

Unfortunately I'm nothing to do with pricing but in my experience the student rates have been reasonable and you are getting brand new facilities to work in. It's worth checking out the special offers too because in my case I'm was able to get two hours of Badminton with equipment hire for £8 which I think is pretty reasonable.

University does have car parks of their own but I think they are usually very busy. A friend of mine parks in a nearby car park to City Campus East and I believe you can expect to pay rates of around 90p / hour or £5 for a full day.

Hope that sheds some light on your questions, if I've missed anything let us know!

Liam
Original post by RA3

The reason the gym costs so much is that it has been recently built (last year) so it's completely new and has top of the range facilities. Lots of sports groups, the gym, the pools, specific courts for sports, classes etc. If you are a student, then you get a discounted rate anyway. I paid £18.99 a month for my membership which included the gym and the classes available. For gym and swim, it's £22.99. So in all honesty, it's one of the cheapest gyms for students if you compare it to public gyms. The old gym was £13 per month, however it was a hell of a lot smaller than the current facilities and was nowhere near the quality of what the uni now offer.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer why Northumbria's gym may cost more, but offers better value for your money.

Leanne :smile:
The reason the gym costs so much is that it has been recently built (last year) so it's completely new and has top of the range facilities. Lots of sports groups, the gym, the pools, specific courts for sports, classes etc. If you are a student, then you get a discounted rate anyway. I paid £18.99 a month for my membership which included the gym and the classes available. For gym and swim, it's £22.99. So in all honesty, it's one of the cheapest gyms for students if you compare it to public gyms. The old gym was £13 per month, however it was a hell of a lot smaller than the current facilities and was nowhere near the quality of what the uni now offer.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer why Northumbria's gym may cost more, but offers better value for your money.

Leanne :smile:

Does this mean as each year passes, the price may drop? :smile:
Does this mean as each year passes, the price may drop? :smile:

Haha, I highly doubt it if I'm honest. They do special offers and stuff every now and again. Like currently, for summer they had a membership for £40 for the whole summer, which is pretty good.

We can only hope that the prices drop! If you still find that too expensive, the coach lane gym is only £10 per month, but it is a lot smaller and doesn't have as much equipment etc, which is why it is less.
I still have not been allocated a room, I was so caught up in results day I didn't even think about accomodation until now. I'm so worried because if I haven't got a room I'm not going to be able to study there :frown:
Reply 77
X

Hiiii,

Got a place at Northumbria and I was allocated accommodation [Manor Bank] but the contract starts on the 17th and one of the events is on the 16th? Was wondering if this was a mistake or that if I wanted to arrive on the 16th I'd have to pay for that extra day?

Thank you!
Reply 78
Original post by esachica
Hiiii,

Got a place at Northumbria and I was allocated accommodation [Manor Bank] but the contract starts on the 17th and one of the events is on the 16th? Was wondering if this was a mistake or that if I wanted to arrive on the 16th I'd have to pay for that extra day?

Thank you!

It's not a mistake, however if you look closely at the event you will see that it is just the SU being open for a standard night out, there's nothing special on. It's only there because some people will move into their accomodation on 16th (they will be in different halls) and the uni obviously wants to put something on for them to do so their first night isn't boring. Read the event description, you'll notice there's no mention of any theme or anything like there is for the other nights.

Also, if you look at the other descriptions you'll notice that the "official launch party" is on 17th, meaning that you're not missing out on any of Freshers Week really.
Reply 79
It's not a mistake, however if you look closely at the event you will see that it is just the SU being open for a standard night out, there's nothing special on. It's only there because some people will move into their accomodation on 16th (they will be in different halls) and the uni obviously wants to put something on for them to do so their first night isn't boring. Read the event description, you'll notice there's no mention of any theme or anything like there is for the other nights.

Also, if you look at the other descriptions you'll notice that the "official launch party" is on 17th, meaning that you're not missing out on any of Freshers Week really.

Perfect, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest