The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Online gaming at Cardiff Uni

Scroll to see replies

Guys, im going to Cardiff...I love gaming...

Will it be impossible to online game with Steam games or even get on steam in Cardiff Uni?? (By staying within the rules)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 41
From what I have heard, Steam games generally work Okay online. There is a lot more success with Steam games than other stuff.
Reply 42
Original post by OmegaGreen17
Guys, im going to Cardiff...I love gaming...

Will it be impossible to online game with Steam games or even get on steam in Cardiff Uni?? (By staying within the rules)

Steam's fine, actual online functionality varies from game to game. Valve stuff was OK for me though I did have trouble joining games hosted by my mate who was in the same halls.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Duffking
Steam's fine, actually online functionality varies from game to game. Valve stuff was OK for me though I did have trouble joining games hosted by my mate who was in the same halls.

Appreciate the inside information :smile:

Would be nice to still be able to play some TF2 whilst I'm there.
Original post by Pthaos

Seconded for awesomeness :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Pthaos

Yeah TF2 was fine for me. The connection speed isn't lightning fast but it's enough, I think I had about 6mb up and down in my room last year.
Reply 46
Yeah TF2 was fine for me. The connection speed isn't lightning fast but it's enough, I think I had about 6mb up and down in my room last year.

Ah that's reassuring to know! I don't see connection speed as a massive issue, more just whether or not things will connect full stop. :P
Reply 47
All ports expect the ones they know to be safe will be blocked. Steam downloads usually are at 1MB/s in halls, and games like TF2 which uses port 27015 or similar are not blocked so online play is possible. 3rd party steam games will have different port requirements and those will not be open, therefore you will need to use a VPN. If you like games, join the cardiff gaming society.
Reply 48
Will I be able to play FIFA12 and MW3 online in halls ? Anyone have experience of using xbox live in cardiff halls ?
Reply 49
Original post by Burnsy92
Will I be able to play FIFA12 and MW3 online in halls ? Anyone have experience of using xbox live in cardiff halls ?

Xbox Live is actually blocked on Reslan, there's a few easy ways round the block though. Notably the MAC address trick from the first page of this thread.
Reply 50
Xbox Live is actually blocked on Reslan, there's a few easy ways round the block though. Notably the MAC address trick from the first page of this thread.

The mac address trick does allow the xbox to be masked as a PC (because you can only register on the reslan service using a mac address), however are the Xbox Live ports actually unblocked?

If you wanted PSN or Xbox access, use a VPN service, and then share your wifi connection with your PS3 or xbox and connect via the wifi. That way you will be playing through the VPN, however I cant say all this hassle is going to be worth it. :rolleyes: Specially if the VPN is laggy, or you realise you are falling behind on coursework :tongue:
Original post by viperfx
The mac address trick does allow the xbox to be masked as a PC (because you can only register on the reslan service using a mac address), however are the Xbox Live ports actually unblocked?

If you wanted PSN or Xbox access, use a VPN service, and then share your wifi connection with your PS3 or xbox and connect via the wifi. That way you will be playing through the VPN, however I cant say all this hassle is going to be worth it. :rolleyes: Specially if the VPN is laggy, or you realise you are falling behind on coursework :tongue:

Actually RESLAN automatically stops working the moment you try to share its connection with another device/over Wi-fi, so that wouldn't work unless you used a more obscure method of connection sharing that RESLAN couldn't detect.
Reply 52
Original post by RightSaidJames
Actually RESLAN automatically stops working the moment you try to share its connection with another device/over Wi-fi, so that wouldn't work unless you used a more obscure method of connection sharing that RESLAN couldn't detect.

Hmm thats strange, because Ive shared my connection between my netbook and desktop many times. I used something called connectify to share the ethernet connection, I could connect my android phone and netbook at the same time.
Original post by viperfx
Hmm thats strange, because Ive shared my connection between my netbook and desktop many times. I used something called connectify to share the ethernet connection, I could connect my android phone and netbook at the same time.

Ah, okay. All I'd tried when I was in halls was setting up a Wi-Fi network then sharing it over Ethernet by bridging the connections, which was the point at which RESLAN stopped working. I hadn't tried using third-party software, mainly because I couldn't find any.
Reply 54
If you use connectify anyone with a wireless... anything would be able to see what you were up to. I doubt they'd care though. It's another way to get an Xbox working online.

Frankly, as much as I use live etc when I'm at home, whilst I was in halls I didn't really miss it enough to go out of the way to try getting it working.
Reply 55
I doubt I'll miss Xbox Live too much, but I'll certainly try and get it working.

It's a bad year to go to Uni as a gamer. So much is coming out in the next 6 months. I'd love to get MW3 on the Xbox, as well as Fifa 12 but it wouldn't be worth it without online play. Skyrim comes out too, but thankfully that's single player.

I'd be interested in seeing a few things on the computer. Apparently the original Guild Wars is permitted to connect via RESLAN, so fingers crossed that Guild Wars 2 will be able to connect as well.
Modern Warfare 2 on the PC apparently connects, so again, hopefully MW3 will on the PC.
Has anyone got their Xbox Live to work at the halls yet? Im contemplating whether to take mine or not
Reply 57
This is a little offtopic from Online gaming, but it conerns the Cardiff connection and RESLAN.

I've connected up and everything, but I'm having trouble with some sites displaying in basic text format - you know, Times New Roman on a white background.

TSR is one of those sits and it's pretty inconvenient as there isn't actually a "Post new thread" button in that basic text format, hence asking here.

Is anyone getting this issue? Trying to work out if it's their end or mine. :smile:
Original post by Pthaos
This is a little offtopic from Online gaming, but it conerns the Cardiff connection and RESLAN.

I've connected up and everything, but I'm having trouble with some sites displaying in basic text format - you know, Times New Roman on a white background.

TSR is one of those sits and it's pretty inconvenient as there isn't actually a "Post new thread" button in that basic text format, hence asking here.

Is anyone getting this issue? Trying to work out if it's their end or mine. :smile:

Try viewing the site through a proxy, or using a different browser, and see if that helps.. I certainly never had this problem when I was in halls.
Reply 59
Probably should have been a bit more specific, my bad sorry!

I've tried this from Firefox, Chrome and IE all at their latest versions and I'm getting the same issue.

Are proxies ok? I thought they got pissed off if they saw you on proxy sites?

I'm in Taly north if it makes the slightest bit of difference. (Heads up to people, don't expect to get TV reception)

Quick Reply

Latest