The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8360
Original post by whattheheck
CONGRATS! Well done!

I failed on 29/7 but my next test is for the 20/9!

I really wanted to pass well before then! Absolute nightmare.

Any tips for passing 3rd time?

I know the feeling!
Just stay focused, even if you think you've failed, you may not have! I thought I failed on a roundabout 10 minutes into my test, but I didn't, I just drove like I normally would have on a lesson! Stay alert, check all mirrors, but don't be too hasty you miss out on the road infront! Also don't go at a junction or roundabout when you think it might be safe but its actually not! Just wait until its the all clear, hesitation is better with 1 minor rather than a major for slowing down a car! Trust me, if I can do anyone can do it. Good luck!! Wishing you the best :-)
Reply 8361
Just failed my first test :/ !
i thought i drove really well, done my turn in the road fine aswell!
got 2 flippin serious. 1 for steering (WTF), n 1 for observation at 1 junction, when i thought it was safe to go so did. ahhh it annoys me!! cnt do another test til november now as going away so its gonna take forever to pass my test at this rate!!
Rant over :| :mad:
Reply 8362
Original post by sophieg8
Just failed my first test :/ !
i thought i drove really well, done my turn in the road fine aswell!
got 2 flippin serious. 1 for steering (WTF), n 1 for observation at 1 junction, when i thought it was safe to go so did. ahhh it annoys me!! cnt do another test til november now as going away so its gonna take forever to pass my test at this rate!!
Rant over :| :mad:

I know the feeling, I failed my first test with 2 serious and thought my drive had been pretty good (there was one very unsmooth moment that I thought id have failed for but it didn't get mentioned :s-smilie:) but yeah, 2 serious faults that I hadn't even noticed, but I have since passed my second test and I think it was helped along by having experienced one test already so I knew what to expect.
It really sucks that you can't get a test date sooner than November but you know what you need to work on in your lessons and I'm sure you will succeed next time :smile:
Good luck for next time! In the meantime, do something fun to cheer yourself up. The majority of people fail their first test so it's nothing to be ashamed about!
(edited 12 years ago)
I failed my test, about an hour ago.
It was my first attempt & I'm pretty gutted to be honest!

I failed with 2 majors - curbing my turn in the road & approaching a junction to quickly - I was in 3rd I could see there was no oncoming traffic.

I had six minors and both of my majors were at the end of my test! I was so nervous though and it didn't help that my examiner was actually an instructor that I had when I first started learning but changed from.

I hope I can get a cancellation in the near future :frown:
hello everyone,

I have my first test tomorrow, and i am so nervous haha , i guess you shall see me posting in this thread tomorrow afternoon!
Reply 8365
Original post by thecdon
hello everyone,

I have my first test tomorrow, and i am so nervous haha , i guess you shall see me posting in this thread tomorrow afternoon!

Same, at 1.35. It's going to be terrible :frown:
Hi Everyone.

I had my first practice driving test on 15th August 2011. I stumbled on this forum a day before, so I thought it would be fair for me to post my results here. Well I shockingly passed on my first attempt!!

Like any other candidate I was scared. For the 1st 10 mins, I did very well. Then when I was asked to do the reverse round the corner, I thought I had touched the kerb. When I asked the examiner "Shall I do this again please?", he replied "You may correct it". So I corrected and got it right. I thought I had failed the test and had literally given up.

At the end of the test he says "I am pleased to tell you, you have passed you driving test with 5 minors". I was thrilled. Either he was being generous or didn't realise I had touched the kerb!!

Any ways, my test experience has been great.. I live in central London and took the test at Norwood. I took about 15 lessons from a honest and good instructor (I am refer him to anyone how needs a reference) around the test centre itself. So I knew the roads in and out and none of the test route were new to me. I have also plotted all the roundabouts on a google map and the routes in a pdf. Anyone going for a test at Norwood will find this info useful... Please contact me in case needed. Ill also make this info publicly available on my web site soon.
Original post by kabolin
you can only go through red lights once you pass!

haha noted, fourth test tomorrow - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :eek:
Reply 8368
Just failed my first test. Spent the whole time thinking '****, this will get me failed, and this' thinking I'd mounted up about 7 serious's. Apparently I got 6 minors and 1 serious, my serious was for 'cutting up a car' at a traffic light junction. So mad at myself!
Just had my first mock test today and got failed for this:

Driving in the left lane of a very busy two lane road. A few car lengths ahead of me there was a van parked with the hazard lights on, meaning I had to obviously go around it to proceed. Problem was the traffic was very heavy in the right hand lane. So I indicated right before I got to the van, the car just behind me on the other lane slowed down to let me in front and I proceeded to go around the van and then back on to the left hand lane. My instructor failed me for this as I caused the other car to slow down!

What would be the correct procedure in this scenario?
failed fourth time...2 minors, one major at going into gear one instead of three - been crying for like an hour, dont think I can do this anymore :'(
Reply 8371
Original post by citylover
Just had my first mock test today and got failed for this:

Driving in the left lane of a very busy two lane road. A few car lengths ahead of me there was a van parked with the hazard lights on, meaning I had to obviously go around it to proceed. Problem was the traffic was very heavy in the right hand lane. So I indicated right before I got to the van, the car just behind me on the other lane slowed down to let me in front and I proceeded to go around the van and then back on to the left hand lane. My instructor failed me for this as I caused the other car to slow down!

What would be the correct procedure in this scenario?

He really shouldn't of let you in front, did he flash you? If he flashes you to go ahead and you saw it, then your instructor should of taken this into consideration. I would of done the same actually, I wouldn't just stop there, causing both lanes of traffic to stop!
Original post by Hannahbanana2705
I failed my test, about an hour ago.
It was my first attempt & I'm pretty gutted to be honest!

I failed with 2 majors - curbing my turn in the road & approaching a junction to quickly - I was in 3rd I could see there was no oncoming traffic.

I had six minors and both of my majors were at the end of my test! I was so nervous though and it didn't help that my examiner was actually an instructor that I had when I first started learning but changed from.

I hope I can get a cancellation in the near future :frown:

to be honest if you mount a curb on a turn in the road then you shouldnt be driving. how anyone can fail on such a basic thing is remarkable in my opinion.
Reply 8373
Failed my second test yesterday :/ not going to lie, I was pretty upset because I'm going to uni in two weeks and I was really wanting to pass before I go...I'll have to wait till next summer now but I've already been learning since last summer....feels like I'll be a learner forever :frown:
Reply 8374
Original post by Rhi93
Failed my second test yesterday :/ not going to lie, I was pretty upset because I'm going to uni in two weeks and I was really wanting to pass before I go...I'll have to wait till next summer now but I've already been learning since last summer....feels like I'll be a learner forever :frown:

I'm worried that might happen too, I failed mine yesterday but I booked one luckily next month before uni. But can't you book one for christmas holidays instead of summer?
I failed my first driving test with 6 majors and 19 minors... haven't really driven since.
I failed my driving test for the first time on Friday :frown: 3 minors and 1 fail cos the examiner made a comment about people going too fast or too slow, I thought maybe he was hinting cos I was going too slow to be cautious, so put it into 4th gear. Then just after there was quite a sharp bend so I slowed it down and tried to get it into 2nd but couldn't so I put it into 3rd and took the bend in 3rd, probably at about 22 mph, but too quick for the bend. This was about 2 mins away from the test centre on my way back :frown:

So upset with myself, I need to be able to drive for my course which starts in September but my placement starts in October and I have no idea what's going to happen now. The next test date isn't until mid-November so I'm just waiting for a cancellation but I feel even more worried than before. Next time, if I even get a test date in time, I have to pass, and I really can't deal with the pressure. I can't stop thinking that I will never get such a good time, or such good weather, or such good luck ever again :frown:
I failed my first test ; 3 majors and 1 minor - as I was coming out of my test centre I failed straight away as I was driving in the wrong lane. Also tried to go through red lights, I was certain they had turned green but apparently not. I think it definitely depends on the examiner though. On my 2nd test I had a greek examiner and after telling him I plan on studying Spanish and Greek at university I think he was slightly more lenient with me, even after I drove off the edge of a country lane and nearly killed us both, he only put that down as a minor :redface: Somehow I passed..
Get to find out my next test date today.

As well as hand over £110 to my examiner. God I feel poor. And there I was thinking I could buy myself a treat after getting my A-Level results. Goddamnit.
Reply 8379
Original post by bear54
I'm worried that might happen too, I failed mine yesterday but I booked one luckily next month before uni. But can't you book one for christmas holidays instead of summer?

My family suggested trying again at Christmas...but there's no way I'd be able to get enough lessons in to feel confident enough before my test :frown: and since I live in Scotland it will probably snow the whole time and get cancelled anyway... :tongue:

Latest