The Student Room Group

Philosophy applicants for 2012 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jacksonriddle
It's alright, lots of people apply who apply to philosophy haven't even studied it before. so you're at a bit of an advantage anyway, plus if you've got a good statement they'll be more lenient with the offer...
There's a guy in my school who just went off to york to study philosophy, i spoke to him a bit and he's really looking forward to it. :smile:

Do you think it doesn't matter? I'm going to resit anyway but I don't want to give the impression that i've tried it and am not very good at it :tongue:
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Do you think it doesn't matter? I'm going to resit anyway but I don't want to give the impression that i've tried it and am not very good at it :tongue:

well if you have that option to resit (i do IB and have no idea because we don't get to resit anything), then go for it, especially since you've been getting As for your practice papers.
Original post by jacksonriddle
well if you have that option to resit (i do IB and have no idea because we don't get to resit anything), then go for it, especially since you've been getting As for your practice papers.

Yeah I think i will, thanks :smile:
Reply 63
I am hoping to get into Manchester to do Philosophy (most likely), which its typical offer is ABB I see.

I got BCC in AS. B was 6 UMS off of an A (Relig Stud) and the other two were around 10 UMS off of a B. Do any of you think I would get an offer (should be able to get RS to an A), and get ABB without (too) much difficulty?

If it means anything, in the Ethics I got 63/100UMS, a C, but in the Philos. of Relig I got 91/100UMS (A) :3
Reply 64
Original post by Xæthon
I am hoping to get into Manchester to do Philosophy (most likely), which its typical offer is ABB I see.

I got BCC in AS. B was 6 UMS off of an A (Relig Stud) and the other two were around 10 UMS off of a B. Do any of you think I would get an offer (should be able to get RS to an A), and get ABB without (too) much difficulty?

If it means anything, in the Ethics I got 63/100UMS, a C, but in the Philos. of Relig I got 91/100UMS (A) :3

No idea, you should try contacting the uni and see what they say :smile: That's what I've done for King's and UCL!
Reply 65
Hey, I'm applying for philosophy as a single honours, I've been looking at:

Liverpool
UEA
Queens
Reading
Keele (combined with human geography, they only do it as a dual honours)
Reply 66
Got an A in philosophy, B in Ict and C in history. Going to resit the history exam to try and get it up to a B. Do you reckon unis that want ABB will give me an offer even though im a grade lower? Obviously i want to do philosphy and i'm very passionate about the subject - not so ICT and history but oh well. I'm looking at loads of unis; Liverpool, Essex, Stirling, Aberdeen, Newcastle, UEA, Nottingham, Reading. Just to name a few!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by IceCool
Got an A in philosophy, B in Ict and C in history. Going to resit the history exam to try and get it up to a B. Do you reckon unis that want ABB will give me an offer even though im a grade lower? Obviously i want to do philosphy and i'm very passionate about the subject - not so ICT and history but oh well. I'm looking at loads of unis; Liverpool, Essex, Stirling, Aberdeen, Newcastle, UEA, Nottingham, Reading. Just to name a few!

Was that in AS or A2? If AS then probably, if A2 then probably not unless you had mitigating circumstances. But it's definitely worth contacting the unis, especially if you're going to retake.
Reply 68
Original post by laura94
No idea, you should try contacting the uni and see what they say :smile: That's what I've done for King's and UCL!

Do you think I should ring up anytime, or wait until all the new undergraduates are sorted?
Original post by sclez1
Hey, I'm applying for philosophy as a single honours, I've been looking at:

Liverpool
UEA
Queens
Reading
Keele (combined with human geography, they only do it as a dual honours)

i've just graduated from liverpool philosophy if you have any questions
Reply 70
Original post by laura94
Was that in AS or A2? If AS then probably, if A2 then probably not unless you had mitigating circumstances. But it's definitely worth contacting the unis, especially if you're going to retake.

AS level :smile:
Could anybody recommend any well respected universities who require ABB/BBB for Philosophy? I'd like my fifth choice to be a safety net.
Reply 72
Original post by electric-wars
Could anybody recommend any well respected universities who require ABB/BBB for Philosophy? I'd like my fifth choice to be a safety net.

Not sure if Durham offer ABB for Philosophy, but I know Manchester offers ABB and they're in the Russell Group and generally regarded as one of the top universities :3
Original post by Xæthon
Not sure if Durham offer ABB for Philosophy, but I know Manchester offers ABB and they're in the Russell Group and generally regarded as one of the top universities :3

Thank you very much, I'll look at them both.
Reply 74
Original post by electric-wars
Thank you very much, I'll look at them both.

try nottingham as well :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Xæthon
Do you think I should ring up anytime, or wait until all the new undergraduates are sorted?

Well I e-mailed since then they can just reply to me whenever they aren't busy :smile:
Reply 76
I've just got a place at Heythrop for 2011 entry, through clearing too, so if anyone has any questions about the ucas process or whatever, just pm me and i'll do my best!
Reply 77
Original post by P&Fdon
I'd definitely advise putting Bristol as your last choice - my friend applied for exactly the same course as you this year, got rejected by every uni (all of which were much lower down the uni rankings - leeds, nottingham, b'ham), but got an offer from Bristol. So given the quality of its English and Philosophy departments, together with its overall reputation, I would certainly suggest applying for Bristol.

Oh god, that doesn't bode well for me does it. :s-smilie: The thing about Bristol is the offer was AAA-ABB, which though has loads of scope - I was told by my teachers it was too competitive with my grades. Plus my prediction looks likely to be AAB.... and my gcses are kinda far off the best oine can get..im kinda freaking out at the moment because Durham have changed their typical offer to A*AA......my final choice atm is UEA.

Worried I wont get any places at this rate. :frown:
Original post by Zulliekinz
Oh god, that doesn't bode well for me does it. :s-smilie: The thing about Bristol is the offer was AAA-ABB, which though has loads of scope - I was told by my teachers it was too competitive with my grades. Plus my prediction looks likely to be AAB.... and my gcses are kinda far off the best oine can get..im kinda freaking out at the moment because Durham have changed their typical offer to A*AA......my final choice atm is UEA.

Worried I wont get any places at this rate. :frown:

do GCSEs really count for uni offers nowadays?
and also, just do one reach, and the rest that are kind of at your predicted grades and you should be okay, obviously with one backup.

i've just realised that Dundee doesn't do theology as a joint, so i either have to change my personal statement so it works for both single philosophy and joint, or i have to find another back up that isn't asking for too much, and hopefully in scotland. anyone know what unis aren't known for high offers?
Hey fellow philosophy people!

For AS Level I got A Philosophy and Ethics (full marks in philosophy paper! ahh!! :biggrin:) A in GS, A in History (although resitting one paper as I got a B) B in Spanish (resitting to see if I can get higher) and B in English.

Looking at:
Nottingham (students were brilliant to talk to...lovely campus) ABB
Sheffield (really good feel for the place)AAB
UEA (yet to see)ABB
Reading (LOVED!!)ABB
Essex (LOVED!!)ABB
Stirling (yet to see)BBC
Lancaster (yet to see!)ABB
York (very close to me, but good all the same)AAB
Exeter (pretty much scrapped going there though, wasn't that impressed by it)AAB
to name a few..
Sheffield and York are AAB..my sister thinks I need another one with that level and should scrap Stirling as my insurance at BBC..she thinks I'm selling myself short and should be aiming higher, although I disagree....think i've got it about right?

Any idea which of these Unis accept General Studies too ? (as that would definitely bring the pressure off!)

Books I've read/reading:
Philosophy the basics - Nigel Warburton
Bertrand Russell's - The Problems of Philosophy
Reason, Faith and Revolution - Terry Eagleton
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
The Puzzle of Ethics - Peter Vardy (so good!)
The Reason for God - Timothy Keller
Why I am not a Christian - Bertrand Russell
and The Moral Law - Kant
Sophies World -
Think - Simon Blackburn

Obviously I won't just list these in the manner I have for my PS, I'll select a few and actually talk about what I thought about them etc

any help/advice on anything would be good!

and would people recommend getting UCAS in asap?..as my sister recieved offers as soon as, even though they claimed to wait until they had had all applications...

Thank you fellow philosophers! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending