The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Wow, really? Because I am a gap year applicant, so its nice to hear I have a chance because my GCSEs were awful. I hope they don't score gap year applicants with GCSEs.

They will tbh

Mine are 2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

Lat year I got 9/16 for academics but I don't know if they counted my mit circ in that.
Original post by joemullally
They will tbh

Mine are 2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

Lat year I got 9/16 for academics but I don't know if they counted my mit circ in that.

So they give your academics a score out of 16? What else do they score you on and how many points? My GCSEs were 2A*s 2As 4Bs and Distinctions in other subjects but I doubt they count them. How did you manage to report the mitigating circumstances? Did they interview you last year?
Reply 22
I should be applying for Leeds :hello:

Bit worried about my extra-curriculars though. My only serious one is orchestra but have no grades in my instrument. Play recreational golf and guitar, then that's all :s-smilie:
Reply 23
I'm considering applying to Leeds, did anyone go to the open day as I've only just started considering it, i missed it. What is it like?
Also i got a UKCAT average of 630 (:/) but i got 11A*s and 2As at GCSE would that make up for it? also so scared for results day!!!!!
Reply 24
Original post by missdunni
I'm considering applying to Leeds, did anyone go to the open day as I've only just started considering it, i missed it. What is it like?
Also i got a UKCAT average of 630 (:/) but i got 11A*s and 2As at GCSE would that make up for it? also so scared for results day!!!!!

That's great GCSE! According to the info given in the first post, not hitting 700+ on the UKCAT means that you only lose out on one bonus point. I suppose if your personal statement is reasonably good you should be fine :smile:
Reply 25
oh okay thats fine, guess im going to have to sharpen up my personal statement then :/
oh okay thats fine, guess im going to have to sharpen up my personal statement then :/

Use the PS Helpers on this site when you're happy with your PS so we can check it for you :yep:

/blatant advertising :flute:
Reply 27
how do i send it to them? :smile:
how do i send it to them? :smile:

If you just create a thread in here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240 then we'll see it and can sort it out there :yep:

Don't post your PS anywhere else on the site :noway:

For the record you'll notice that you shouldn't see any other threads where I just linked you to because it's a private forum... only PS Helpers, mods, supers and admin can see your PS there :yep:
Reply 29
okay cool thank you! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
So they give your academics a score out of 16? What else do they score you on and how many points? My GCSEs were 2A*s 2As 4Bs and Distinctions in other subjects but I doubt they count them. How did you manage to report the mitigating circumstances? Did they interview you last year?

It's all in the first post of the thread in the expansion.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Use the PS Helpers on this site when you're happy with your PS so we can check it for you :yep:

/blatant advertising :flute:

Nice plugging there penguin.

Seriously though the Ps helpers here are legends. They see a lot of personal statements per year and they don't know you. This puts them in a similar position to admissions tutors except you get extremely detailed feedback about how you can improve.

I don't think any PS can be seen as perfect by the TSR ps helpers though, Even if you submit it 200 times there would always be something. So don't be disheartened if they do rip it apart. Just be glad it's them and not your applied to medschool. And tbf they're a friendly bunch. Even if one of them is a penguin :P
Nice plugging there penguin.

I don't think any PS can be seen as perfect by the TSR ps helpers though

Even if one of them is a penguin :P

:hat2:

I haven't seen a single one so far that hasn't had some form of major rework :nah:
But I think the tearing apart shows we are REALLY reading it and going into detail rather than "yeah, that's fine"

:unimpressed:

Spoiler

Reply 32
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:hat2:

I haven't seen a single one so far that hasn't had some form of major rework :nah:
But I think the tearing apart shows we are REALLY reading it and going into detail rather than "yeah, that's fine"

:unimpressed:

Spoiler

It's probably because most personal statements are guided by tutors who don't know.

You guys do go into a great level of detail, Mines at 4000 char exactly now and i'm on my 8th drafft. I really wanna get in this year but i'm affraid the more I redrafft it the less personal it gets. I don't know.

I'll finish this drafft so I'm totally happy and then probably leave it at that, unless i'm lucky enough to get another redrafft :P

But I understand how cheeky that is. You guys are volunteers and what you do is great. If I get in I'd love to join in what you're doing. But then that's ifs and buts I need to get in first.
Hi :smile:

I live just outside of London but I have some family in Leeds including an uncle who works there as part of the engineering faculty and kindly showed me around. It looks really good! The campus is absolutely massive but there are plenty of great facilities. The city looks really fun and student friendly and I think I'd really enjoy studying there.

Does anyone know whether Leeds look at AS results? I did pretty badly in mine. Got AABC (Eng lit, bio, chem, phys). I did get 9 A* and 1 A (drama) at GCSE though so hopefully that'll be strong enough. And ofc I have a strong PS, work exp, extra curriculars etc...
Reply 34
Original post by mementomori
Hi :smile:

I live just outside of London but I have some family in Leeds including an uncle who works there as part of the engineering faculty and kindly showed me around. It looks really good! The campus is absolutely massive but there are plenty of great facilities. The city looks really fun and student friendly and I think I'd really enjoy studying there.

Does anyone know whether Leeds look at AS results? I did pretty badly in mine. Got AABC (Eng lit, bio, chem, phys). I did get 9 A* and 1 A (drama) at GCSE though so hopefully that'll be strong enough. And ofc I have a strong PS, work exp, extra curriculars etc...

The impression I got from their open day is that GCSE's and predicted grades are the most important academic factors they consider as As's can be resat etc etc etc.
So they will probably glance at them but other factors are more important according to the sept '09 open day.

And those As grades are good.
Are you dropping anything? If so what?
The impression I got from their open day is that GCSE's and predicted grades are the most important academic factors they consider as As's can be resat etc etc etc.
So they will probably glance at them but other factors are more important according to the sept '09 open day.

And those As grades are good.
Are you dropping anything? If so what?

I really wanted to go to the open day but I only decided about two or three weeks beforehand so train tickets were ridiculously expensive and I didn't manage to go. I have emailed them so hopefully will get an answer.

I was always going to drop physics but I'm still pretty gutted I got a C, I was expecting a B worst case scenario.
Definitely retaking a Chem module cause it was just the one paper that let me down. Will probably retake a Bio one aswell just to boost my UMS.
Reply 36
I really wanted to go to the open day but I only decided about two or three weeks beforehand so train tickets were ridiculously expensive and I didn't manage to go. I have emailed them so hopefully will get an answer.

I was always going to drop physics but I'm still pretty gutted I got a C, I was expecting a B worst case scenario.
Definitely retaking a Chem module cause it was just the one paper that let me down. Will probably retake a Bio one aswell just to boost my UMS.

Go for it.

I went to the open day last year and absolutley fell in love with the place.

At the time I was looking for a fourth option to apply to. And Leeds ended up being where I wanted to go.
Go for it.

I went to the open day last year and absolutley fell in love with the place.

At the time I was looking for a fourth option to apply to. And Leeds ended up being where I wanted to go.

What other unis are you applying to?
Reply 38
What other unis are you applying to?

Peninsula Barts and Glasgow.
You?
Reply 39
I remember reading the BBC saying Leeds med students get free iPhones in their third year? I am SO applying to Leeds! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Quick Reply