The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
Shutupshutupshutupshutup!!!! :pinch:

Crazy woman - I live near Aldi :hmmm:

They probably have something similar. :dontknow:

(I hope Aldi/Lidl gets that spot on Mill Road that Sainsbury's is eyeing up...)
It does throw off the balance, but you get used to it. You just have to be careful and not put too many really heavy things. I think wobbling up Castle Hill with a full Sainsburys shop in the basket and in my rucksack wasn't the best idea, but I managed fine that way this year :biggrin:

Apparently racks with baskets feel far better. But they're about three times the price to fit :frown:

Erm...I quoted you again to make this visible. For some reason, I could see it when I clicked the "Quote" button, but it doesn't appear to have been posted in the main thread. You hadn't put it inside my spoiler by mistake, so I don't see why it wasn't showing. :iiam:
Original post by Tortious
I've just got some caramel waffles from Lidl. They're sooooo goooooood... :cookie:

Piccy

I discovered Lidl when I moved to Hackney and I do all my shopping there now. Everything is really nice and even if it was priced at Sainsburys prices I would prefer Lidl food.
Original post by The West Wing
I discovered Lidl when I moved to Hackney and I do all my shopping there now. Everything is really nice and even if it was priced at Sainsburys prices I would prefer Lidl food.

I quite like European chocolate - I'm not sure how it differs, but I prefer that and UK "cheap" stuff over the likes of Galaxy and Cadbury's any day. :biggrin: Every Christmas my parents get me a bag of Milk Mouse; you might've seen them, but they're like a cross between Toblerone pieces and Milky Ways in that they have nougat stuff inside them.

I'm not explaining this very well, so another photo is in order. :yep: I've spoilered it again for you, Craggy. :p:

Milk Mouse

:drool:
I love Kinder chocolate!
Original post by Tortious
Erm...I quoted you again to make this visible. For some reason, I could see it when I clicked the "Quote" button, but it doesn't appear to have been posted in the main thread. You hadn't put it inside my spoiler by mistake, so I don't see why it wasn't showing. :iiam:

That's worrying :s-smilie: Oh well. I get my fair share of posts again...
Yeh at least it looks like rain. That will stop me looting Aldis :o:

I discovered Lidls when I lived in Andover. It was right next to my FE college. I think they're very good at some things, but rubbish for others. I really like the fact that Aldi's on Histon road is next to Co-Op because it means I can buy the good stuff Aldi does and go across the road for stuff they don't have.
:drool:
I love Kinder chocolate!

That's worrying :s-smilie: Oh well. I get my fair share of posts again...
Yeh at least it looks like rain. That will stop me looting Aldis :o:

I discovered Lidls when I lived in Andover. It was right next to my FE college. I think they're very good at some things, but rubbish for others. I really like the fact that Aldi's on Histon road is next to Co-Op because it means I can buy the good stuff Aldi does and go across the road for stuff they don't have.

I eat a lot of continental foods anyway and I find their continental stuff is all amazing. The tiramasu pots are outstanding, compared to the Sainsburys one which I found inedible.

The chorizo rings are delicious too, as well as their frozen meat products like raw tuna kebabs. The 49p pasta is also some of the nicest I've ever had!

(wow I sound obsessed)
Hmm, innocent smoothies are normally pretty good, but I can't say the strawberry & banana one is doing anything for me. :frown:
I eat a lot of continental foods anyway and I find their continental stuff is all amazing. The tiramasu pots are outstanding, compared to the Sainsburys one which I found inedible.

The Sainsbury's ones used to be quite good, but their new recipe ones are terrible.

The chorizo rings are delicious too, as well as their frozen meat products like raw tuna kebabs. The 49p pasta is also some of the nicest I've ever had!

I'm struggling to find either chorizo or proper British-style sausages here in HK. All I can find is continental- or Asian- style sausages.

Original post by TheUnbeliever
Hmm, innocent smoothies are normally pretty good, but I can't say the strawberry & banana one is doing anything for me. :frown:

:eek: The strawberry and banana one is my favourite Innocent smoothie. :yep:
Original post by alex_hk90
The Sainsbury's ones used to be quite good, but their new recipe ones are terrible.

They are too wet and alcoholic. What were they thinking?!

I'm struggling to find either chorizo or proper British-style sausages here in HK. All I can find is continental- or Asian- style sausages.

This surprises me, can't you go to Marks and Spencers?
I hate smoothies because I've yet to find any except the yoghurt and vanilla bean/maple syrup style that don't contain banana :yucky: And I can taste banana a mile off no matter how many berries etc. they throw in.
This surprises me, can't you go to Marks and Spencers?

The only M&S I know is in Central, which is literally miles away (you have to go through or around a mountain from here to get there).

Original post by Groat
I read an article in my Waitrose branch that they may be opening some stores in Asia. Keep your fingers crossed if you want some good meats. :colondollar:

Oddly, the big supermarket chain here (Park 'N Shop) seems to have some kind of deal with Waitrose, as many of its products are Waitrose branded. For instance, for tins of chopped tomatoes, they have Waitrose, Waitrose Essential and Waitrose Organic. They don't seem to have understood the intended price discrimination strategy though as all three are price almost the same (and the Essential is priced higher than the standard if I remember correctly).
The only M&S I know is in Central, which is literally miles away (you have to go through or around a mountain from here to get there).

Oddly, the big supermarket chain here (Park 'N Shop) seems to have some kind of deal with Waitrose, as many of its products are Waitrose branded. For instance, for tins of chopped tomatoes, they have Waitrose, Waitrose Essential and Waitrose Organic. They don't seem to have understood the intended price discrimination strategy though as all three are price almost the same (and the Essential is priced higher than the standard if I remember correctly).

There seem to be as many as in London http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/aboutus/where/international_stores
Reply 1992
Original post by Topaz_eyes
For those with bikes:

Is it worth getting a basket? I have a pretty good rucksack and I thought I could use that, but apparently that throws off balance and is not a good idea.

I haven't ever had a basket, but never found a backpack(mine was fairly large) ever affected my balance, and potentially even helped it. On the other hand, I did tend to get a bit of a sweaty back from it.
Original post by Slumpy
I haven't ever had a basket, but never found a backpack(mine was fairly large) ever affected my balance, and potentially even helped it. On the other hand, I did tend to get a bit of a sweaty back from it.

It does throw off the balance, but you get used to it. You just have to be careful and not put too many really heavy things. I think wobbling up Castle Hill with a full Sainsburys shop in the basket and in my rucksack wasn't the best idea, but I managed fine that way this year :biggrin:

Apparently racks with baskets feel far better. But they're about three times the price to fit :frown:

Thanks, I think I'll go without and get one in term if I really need it! I'm only planning on using it for going to the Cavendish and maybe big Sainsbury's :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks, I think I'll go without and get one in term if I really need it! I'm only planning on using it for going to the Cavendish and maybe big Sainsbury's :smile:

Well going to the Cavendish is nice on a bike because there are decent bike lanes and paths that way. Going to Sainsburys is less nice, but still fine.

In order: Central, Kowloon (not on HK Island, on the mainland across the harbour), Kowloon, Kowloon, Central, New Territories (also on mainland not on HK Island), Eastern (again a mountain in the way) and actually in a private housing estate, Kowloon, New Territories, New Territories, New Territories. So there's actually only three on Hong Kong Island, none of which even close to the south coast. :frown:
Why not big tescos? That's nicer to get to because you can go over the river. And it's closer (Asda is closer too) unless you're in a non-university part of town.

I had a look on their site and the said tin of chopped tomatoes seems to be the equivalent of £1.55. What a rip off!
Reply 1998
Does anyone know the best way to disseminate information university-wide during the holidays? The CUSU bulletin only runs during term-time...
Original post by around
Does anyone know the best way to disseminate information university-wide during the holidays? The CUSU bulletin only runs during term-time...

You could try the GU bulletin? Some undergrads subscribe to it. I used to.

Latest

Trending

Trending