The Student Room Group

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad?

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad (for whatever reason, feel free to post them below) after uni/school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going on a year-trip around America. "50 States in 50 weeks" with two for Christmas.

I have a sort of, "urge", to just lose myself there, though.

In the future, failing my chances to find myself permanent residence in the US of A or move up to Canada. I would like to move abroad later in life too. France, Canada, Holland maybe?

But yeah, I love the Lake District, but staying here/the UK just isn't for me. :smile:
Reply 2
Desperately want to go to america, apparently it's a killer to get in though! :P Barring that, Australia! :smile:
Reply 3
After med school i want to do around 3 years in london... then want to move to America, NYC.
Reply 4
Yeah I want to move to maybe Japan/Beijing or maybe LA depending on where I am in 10 years time :moon:
Reply 5
permanently, no. but it would be nice to do some short term work or extra training abroad while I am younger, before settling down here. I don't see the appeal of actually living elsewhere, I quite like my area
Reply 6
yh i would love to move to LA and teach english there instead of England :smile:
Reply 7
My parents are moving to Toronto next year to be back with the rest of my Dad’s family so I want to move there as soon as I finish uni..don’t really want to be stuck here by myself !
Its a lot harder than most people on TSR think, apart from the EU of course. The most likely way is if you have family links ideally parents, or if you marry someone from abroad.

Otherwise you will need to be in a shortage job, healthcare, engineering, teaching etc, or get a few years experience and a professional qualification in something respected eg the ACA or an Actuaries qualification. Even then, it is easier to get temporary work visas than emigrate straight away (if you've been in the country a while on temporary work visas then you might be able to apply for residency).

I hear a lot of students saying its so hard to find a job in the UK, they're going to move abroad and work, I think they misunderstand the difficulties of satisfying the criteria for emigration. Other countries aren't desperately in need of an inexperienced UK graduate who can't find a job in the UK.

Not saying it can't happen, and people do do it, just that in general people underestimate how difficult it is to go, especially to the popular countries like USA, Australia, Switzerland and the Gulf states. More realistic options are Canada and New Zealand, if you are a teacher or accountant etc then there will probably be options but you will need a couple of years experience in the UK first.
Reply 9
i need to marry a british girl for UK citizenship...

i think a lot of people from britain have a very romantic view of the US, i'd certainly say the job market is no better over here.
US or Australia, If I'm still in this ****hole of a country by the time I'm 30 then I've failed life.
Reply 11
Id love to live in Japan but I am terrible at languages, but would also love to live in America.
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Its a lot harder than most people on TSR think, apart from the EU of course. The most likely way is if you have family links ideally parents, or if you marry someone from abroad.

Otherwise you will need to be in a shortage job, healthcare, engineering, teaching etc, or get a few years experience and a professional qualification in something respected eg the ACA or an Actuaries qualification. Even then, it is easier to get temporary work visas than emigrate straight away (if you've been in the country a while on temporary work visas then you might be able to apply for residency).

I hear a lot of students saying its so hard to find a job in the UK, they're going to move abroad and work, I think they misunderstand the difficulties of satisfying the criteria for emigration. Other countries aren't desperately in need of an inexperienced UK graduate who can't find a job in the UK.

Not saying it can't happen, and people do do it, just that in general people underestimate how difficult it is to go, especially to the popular countries like USA, Australia, Switzerland and the Gulf states. More realistic options are Canada and New Zealand, if you are a teacher or accountant etc then there will probably be options but you will need a couple of years experience in the UK first.

How about places such as France?
All the time. :colonhash: After med-school, I really want to work somewhere like Australia/America...

...and then travel. I've always wanted to live in Vienna for a bit, as well. As much as I love Scotland, bring on the sunshine :p:
Reply 14
Yeah, the other half's from abroad. Plus it's pretty necessary since I'm studying to be a teacher of English as foreign language.
Ideally I'd love to move to the Middle East but well I'll have to wait and see!

I'd love to study in the USA and do my Masters or PhD over there but I couldn't live there permanently.
After living in England for just over a year (I am English before people start defending their country), I can safely say that I'll be planning my escape very soon.
Yes, too much. :rolleyes:

If I stay in the UK then I'd want to live in London, if I can leave (which I do hope will happen eventually) I'd like to go to either New York or California. :h:
I've always dreamed of living in the usa: my dad lived there for 3 years and I loved it when I visited :smile: but, I don't think I will ever move there :smile:
Don't get me wrong, I love, love, loved it! It was amazing!! But, I just don't think I could leave my life in the uk behind.... ? I don't know, maybe later on in my life I may try :smile:

I know it's virtually impossible to move to the usa, but I have a current visa, family links and obviously, my dad lived there :smile:. So, ya never know! :smile:

Why do the rest of y'all want to move to the usa?
Original post by electric-wars
After living in England for just over a year (I am English before people start defending their country), I can safely say that I'll be planning my escape very soon.

I have to say, that is a fair comment :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest