The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth1234
Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh... and a little torn between UCL and Bristol. There's an 90% chance I'll go for UCL, I think.

Ooh... what college in Cambridge are you applying for?

Christ's
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by arianex

How's work exp looking? That'll help loads too.

Thanks! And I've done a week's GP, 2 days lab research, a week in a hospital and then 2 years (and counting) of volunteering at a school for children with special needs... and I'm a form assistant at my school for 6-7 year olds :rolleyes:

I think it should be enough, especially since I'm young in the year and found it reeeally difficult to find people who would take me on (no medics in the family :/)
Reply 42
Thinking of applying for chemistry. Have heard bad things about teaching standards though?
Does imperial look at what you actually got for AS aswell as predicted grades?>
Original post by puddleduck
Hullo, firstly thankyou for all your general advice on this thread so far ^^ Secondly... I got AABB in my ASs: As in maths and biology and Bs in chemistry and RS. I really want to read medicine at Imperial... but had a feeling it was a lost cause. Your comment (above) gave me a little bit of hope...

In your experience, have people with similar AS grades got in to read medicine? (with good references and BMAT and personal statement)

Will the B in chemistry seriously hinder me, and should I retake the module I did rubbishly in (A in mod1 but C in mod2)

Thanks!

-Jemima

Okay it's tricky because your grades are Imperials first port of call and you will find that you're grades are average, meaning loads will have the same grades as you. The fact that you did some GP/lab/form assistant work does redeem you slightly but the B in chemistry is dangerous because you should really be aiming for an A.

I hope you are planning to resit chemistry to bring it up to an A because that's crucial for medicine.

Also do you have any other hobbies like any volunteering you do, sports teams you play for, musical instruments etc etc? It's good to show in your personal statement that you're a varied person with other interests than medicine.

My advice: If you're applying for medicine, you only have 4 options so I would make Imperial your highest uni. It should be the one you "take a punt on" because I know of people with higher AS grades who got rejections.
I have a sister who is in for medicine at Bristol so if you want any help on PS reviewing I'll speak to her, not sure how much she'd help though coz she got 3 rejections too.

Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh... and a little torn between UCL and Bristol. There's an 90% chance I'll go for UCL, I think.

Ooh... what college in Cambridge are you applying for?

Noooo!!! Bristol is a beautiful university! :frown: I applied to UCL and Bristol and thought UCL was a bit dumpy! Plus Bristil is cheaper and its partay for them all year round :wink:
BUT it's your wish entirely and you shouldn't go on what some randomer says!
Reply 45
Original post by nikita_atikin

Noooo!!! Bristol is a beautiful university! :frown: I applied to UCL and Bristol and thought UCL was a bit dumpy! Plus Bristil is cheaper and its partay for them all year round :wink:
BUT it's your wish entirely and you shouldn't go on what some randomer says!

Gah. Now I'm undecided again... :redface: I wasn't able to choose one over the other based on the course, and while Bristol is better at maths (according to most league tables) I think UCL has the better reputation in general. I'd probably say I'd like living in London more - but of course the costs are a quite worrying.
I'm hoping it won't matter too much anyway - it would be my bottom preference, whichever one I choose. :smile:
I'll be applying for Imperial for Maths and Computer Science, I reckon. This, at the moment, seems like suicide.
Reply 47
Original post by Edwin Okli
I'll be applying for Imperial for Maths and Computer Science, I reckon. This, at the moment, seems like suicide.

Yet another mathematician (even if it is with Computer Science... but I suppose we can forgive that :tongue:)! I think I recall seeing you on the Cambridge forums (I lurk) - you are applying to Emma?
Reply 48
Original post by F.I
Also ace your BMAT and you will have a good chance for interview.

LOL at your spoiler! :colone:

Yet another mathematician (even if it is with Computer Science... but I suppose we can forgive that :tongue:)! I think I recall seeing you on the Cambridge forums (I lurk) - you are applying to Emma?

Another mathematician, yet a disappointed one. At least Imperial don't have to see my UMS.

Yes, Emma, for I like ducks and friendly atmospheres where I can sit beside a pond and contemplate.
Original post by nikita_atikin

I hope you are planning to resit chemistry to bring it up to an A because that's crucial for medicine.

Also do you have any other hobbies like any volunteering you do, sports teams you play for, musical instruments etc etc? It's good to show in your personal statement that you're a varied person with other interests than medicine.

My advice: If you're applying for medicine, you only have 4 options so I would make Imperial your highest uni. It should be the one you "take a punt on" because I know of people with higher AS grades who got rejections.

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I am planning to resit the chemistry module I did badly in, but I'm a bit confused about Imperial's policies about resits so I'm going to phone them up...

I've volunteered and run lots of clubs for younger kids at my school, it's mainly my grades that are the problem. I've been in choir for most of my school life >.<

And yup, Imperial was always my highest uni... except seeing as in my opinion Imperial IS the best uni (from the course outline, intercalated BSci and my open day vibe) it's not saying much :P
I'll join the bandwagon (if there's space... :P) and offer my advice if you need it. I'm an unconditional offer holder for Aeronautical Engineering (year abroad, H410), though I can most likely help you if you're applying for a similar course such as Mech Eng as well :smile: .

Background info:
GCSEs: A*A*AAABBBBC (C in English Language :P)
AS Levels: AAAA (Maths, FMaths, Physics, Chem)
A Levels: A*A*AA (Maths, Physics, FMaths, Chem) - 3 UMS of A* in FMaths.
Reply 52
Is work experience essential if I want to study Chemical Engineering? So far I've volunteered at Oxfam and worked at Argos, would I need experience more related to Chem Eng?
2012 applicants already??? really??? People calm down I haven't even started uni yet and you make me feel old.

You can ask me anything regarding mechanical engineering admission if you wish.
Original post by Zottula
This thread makes me feel weird :ninja:

I know..... We haven't even started uni and TSR already has 2012 applicants thread..
Reply 55
Original post by Inactivity
Is work experience essential if I want to study Chemical Engineering? So far I've volunteered at Oxfam and worked at Argos, would I need experience more related to Chem Eng?

Not necessarily - work experience can be hard to come by (not many people will have had it when applying), and even if you get it, it might not be in Chem Eng (maybe in other streams.) But any engineering w/exp will be an eye opener, so don't discount it.

Personally I've got in for BME and I don't have a shred of w/exp on me related to the industry, but I've worked in a call center during the summer of Year 11, and I've also done a lot of stuff (performing arts productions, homework help for juniors, etc) that will have given me the skills to cope with engineering anyway.

I just made sure I "argued" it well in my PS, because I know most people will look at my ECs and go "huh, so how the HELL does that help you become a good engineer apart from learning how to relax?" In fact, performing and managing productions has made me a better team-player and leader and able to delegate/manage a huge task, which is pretty dang vital when you're in your course + making that massive project in 3rd year...see where I'm going here?
Reply 56
Hey guys

IGCSE : A*A*A*AAAB

GCE A LEVEL

Biology A*
Turkish A*
Mathematics A
Applied ICT A
Chemistry A

As level
Physics B

I am going to take a gap year ? I will apply for biological sciences !
My AS results is as follow
Math A
Econ A
Phys E (dropping this)
I'm taking Further Math in A2 year and maybe one more AS subject.
Should I apply for Imperial Computer Science course? Is the E in Physics gonna be a big minus for the University?
Original post by gold.s19
My AS results is as follow
Math A
Econ A
Phys E (dropping this)
I'm taking Further Math in A2 year and maybe one more AS subject.
Should I apply for Imperial Computer Science course? Is the E in Physics gonna be a big minus for the University?

Just make sure that your other 3 A-levels will have a high prediction.
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Just make sure that your other 3 A-levels will have a high prediction.

I hope to get A* and A for Math and Further Math respectively, A for Econ too.
Should I take another AS subject? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending