The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Who's doing computer science?

hello all :smile:

who's doing computer science this year at Hull, starting in sept?

Wouldn't mind getting to know some of you!

cheers, scott

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing "BSc Computer Software Development including Foundation Science" if that helps :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm doing computing and psychology :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by Legolash2o
I'm doing "BSc Computer Software Development including Foundation Science" if that helps :smile:

I'm doing MEng Computer Software Development :cool:
Reply 4
Im doing computer science with foundation year in september
Reply 5
Original post by The_Rev
I'm doing MEng Computer Software Development :cool:

Smart Ass :P Did you do the course i'm starting? what's it like?

Original post by TheMasK
Im doing computer science with foundation year in september

We prob may be in the same class then during the foundation year. :smile:
Reply 6
The MEng you can only do if you did your undergraduate at Hull, else you go on the MSc I believe. MEng is supposed to be good due to going into SEED (have a few friends going in September).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm going to be doing the MEng course in Computer Science, starting the first year in September.
4 Years... ughh
Reply 8
Original post by Legolash2o
Smart Ass :P Did you do the course i'm starting? what's it like?

We prob may be in the same class then during the foundation year. :smile:

No I am not, I'm going to start my course this year :tongue:.

Original post by Nekokat
The MEng you can only do if you did your undergraduate at Hull, else you go on the MSc I believe. MEng is supposed to be good due to going into SEED (have a few friends going in September).

Actually it is an undergraduate masters :smile: So you start of at the same undergraduate level as everyone else, but you do the course for 4 years and get a MEng instead of everyone else who does it for 3 years and only gets a BSc.

To make things simpler, I'm 18 years old, I am currently doing my A-Levels and I have never taken a gap year or a year out. But I've still applied to do a masters :smile:
Reply 9
I've applied for a three year standard Computer Science course although I may switch to the Computer Science with Games Programming course once I learn more about the subject at the end of the first year.
I'm doing vanilla Computer Science but I may change to the MEng route at a later date.
Just over a month until we start :biggrin:
Got onto Computer Sciences with Games Development :biggrin: I'm guessing some main modules are shared between a few courses, however if they're not, I'm sure there'll still be a chance to meet up with everyone!
Reply 12
what is computer science?
Original post by zalwanich
what is computer science?

It's not really about computers and it's not really about science, in fact it's learning about the logic that underpins the programs that you would program into a computer, and computers are merely a tool used in the process, well to an extent, I've paraphrased some quotes I had heard from lectures I watched online. It does entail some knowledge about computers themselves as well, such topics include Computer Architecture, but on the whole it's learning about data structures and algorithms you can program into a computer, plus some other things, I could go on, check out Richard Buckland on YouTube though... :smile: :smile:
Original post by Joshcunliffe
Got onto Computer Sciences with Games Development :biggrin: I'm guessing some main modules are shared between a few courses, however if they're not, I'm sure there'll still be a chance to meet up with everyone!

If you don't mind me asking, was it an HNC you did? :smile: :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bordercollies10
It's not really about computers and it's not really about science, in fact it's learning about the logic that underpins the programs that you would program into a computer, and computers are merely a tool used in the process, well to an extent, I've paraphrased some quotes I had heard from lectures I watched online. It does entail some knowledge about computers themselves as well, such topics include Computer Architecture, but on the whole it's learning about data structures and algorithms you can program into a computer, plus some other things, I could go on, check out Richard Buckland on YouTube though... :smile: :smile:

thankyou aha. i guess maths is a must for it?
Computer Science with Games Development. :biggrin:
Original post by Joshcunliffe

It's a shared first year, so we will be seeing a lot of each other to begin with. A lot of the modules are shared between subjects, and Computer Science (standard) students have their choice of modules they want to take from any of the specialized courses.

We gon be buds!
And I'm gonna be the only black guy on the course, I know it. :rolleyes:
Original post by Blacked Out
It's a shared first year, so we will be seeing a lot of each other to begin with. A lot of the modules are shared between subjects, and Computer Science (standard) students have their choice of modules they want to take from any of the specialized courses.

We gon be buds!
And I'm gonna be the only black guy on the course, I know it. :rolleyes:

Awyeah! :biggrin: Everyone's gonna have a good time :3
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zalwanich
thankyou aha. i guess maths is a must for it?

You're welcome! Yes, I'm afraid so, but you can take the HNC/D route if you didn't do too well in Maths back at secondary, the Maths units(of the HNC/D) compensate for that. HNC(usually lasts for a year) courses usually aren't as strict with entrance requirements as most University courses, but that won't negate the fact that they can reject...

:smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest