The Student Room Group

What makes A-levels so hard?

Scroll to see replies

I also much preferred mechanics to stats , never quite got the hang of normal distributions and parts of S1 were just horrendously fiddly compared to mechanics.

To the OP - self teaching A-level maths and further maths isn't too bad , I only had S1 and D1 taught and learned the rest myself.Didn't go badly although I screwed up my final exams so ended up getting AB in Maths and FM.Only thing I'd say is make sure you talk things with your teacher every now and then to make sure you understand them well , one thing which really helped was having an excellent teacher in my maths department for two years (Cambridge alumni as it happens).

The difference between GCSE and AS is that you actually start learning things properly and in depth and there is a certain rigour which takes a bit of getting used to.You have to know what's going on really rather than just regurgitate facts and this I think this culture change catches a few people out.Plenty of people at my sixth form had reasonably good GCSEs , but ended up struggling quite quickly because they weren't really prepared to make the extra commitment needed.
Geokitty
They are much harder than GCSE, bcause for GCSE you had (at least) two years to learn some pretty basic stuff. For AS you have two TERMS to learn some very complicated stuff! My tip - pick your subjects carefully, and organise your work (and REVISE) right from the start.

Try 3 sciences at AS and A2, in 1 year. It is hell. :frown:
Reply 62
ahh what a question..
1. the jump from gcses to as-level is ENORMOUS
2. and then when you think it cant get worse.... A2 is even worse!
3. GCSE learning was patchy and sometimes wrong..in some cases you learn things all over again
4. Simple things like respiration..glucose + oxygen = water + carbon dioxide. pahahah thats a joke compared to the actual process.
5. Erratic exam marking
6. Everything is in depth, nothing is left to the imagination anymore!
7. So little time to be taught the biggest amount you've ever been taught so far
8. You need a hell of a lot of motivation
9. Mark schemes are a lot stricter

having said that theyre definitely worth doing!haha xxx
Sparkly-Star
Thanks, yeah I decided to do that cos even in GCSE's it does help if you revise a few weeks for an exam especially if you have lots of science topics to learn... probably wouldn't sound much to you... but I have to learn 20! 22 At first but I already did one exam so that's okay. What is A-level French like? And what is GCSE French like? I only did an NVQ Business French Level 1 & 2 in it. That's the only thing my school offered. :confused:

GCSE French has really basic things like going to the shop, asking for food at a restaurant, then talking about yourself and your family, about jobs,clothes, describing your house, these kinds of things. It doesn't have lots of grammar to learn but you really need that minimum. At AS French changes a lot, it gives room for much more creativity and you can actually express your own opinion about important topics (there are some rather boring ones as well though). Sometimes French class turns into a debate class which is not really a problem for me. There is again minimal grammar but a good foundation will always come in handy. I'm only doing AS but if you do A Level the difference is that A Level also includes a literature part plus some more debate topics (e.g. AIDS)
Vivisteiner
statistics is booooo-ooooooo-ooooooring!

I actually can't be arsed to revise for my S2 exam.

+1 on that. Exams getting terribly close though.

Physics isnt that interesting btw. unless you get onto AEA's
Nick Longjohnson
+1 on that. Exams getting terribly close though.

Physics isnt that interesting btw. unless you get onto AEA's

I think the photoelectric effect stuff is pretty cool. And some of the synoptic questions are interesting. And generally there's the buzz of calculating an answer successfully.
Reply 66
mattbroon
Try 3 sciences at AS and A2, in 1 year. It is hell. :frown:

Why did you have to do it in one year? I'm doing Maths, Chem, Physics & Geography. No way could I do any of them in one year!
Geokitty
Why did you have to do it in one year? I'm doing Maths, Chem, Physics & Geography. No way could I do any of them in one year!

Oh sorry i should have explained. I live in scotland, and here we only have 5 years of high school, 3rd and 4th year we do standard grades, 5th year we do highers, and in 6th year scottish schools usually do Advanced Highers. But our school decided to be different, so instead we are left with one year to do a 2 year course. Judging from what you guys are saying, you found it difficult to fit it in in 2 years!

But for physics, it really isnt that big an issue is it? For us, it is mainly getting enough practice of past papers - particularly synoptics - after trying to fit the whole course in.
Reply 68
jonny23563
And not going to uni is not the end of the world

True, but if you want to go then you'd be disappointed if you couldnt.
A-levels are the hardest exams going. They are harder than GCSEs and harder than a degree. Studying at uni is easier as you can focus on one subject and exams are modular so less pressure but A-levels can be really difficult. I have some mates who failed their A-levels, even though they got A* and As at GCSE level. If you don't focus then, you will fail your A-levels, simple as.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sparkly-Star

According to most people and teachers (well from everyone I have spoken to) A-levels are very very hard. Well what makes them so hard? Is it the content or the amount or something? I am gonna finish my GCSE's this year and I was wondering what tips you would give to all those who are hoping to do A-levels next year. :woo: I want to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I might change physics to French I dunno.

I'd say lack of preparation during GCSEs. IMO, GCSE students could've handled much harder stuff to prepare them for A levels so there wouldn't be such a huge jump.
Reply 71
BIG JUMP from GCSE to A-LEVEL
ONLY 4 SUBJECTS but TOO MUCH CONTENT!
STUPIDLY PHRASED QUESTIONS - WORKING OUT WHAT THEY MEAN IS HALF THE BLOODY CHALLENGE!

But if you constantly work and stay focussed, it's possible to do well... I think.:smile:
Original post by ihatethispart
I'd say lack of preparation during GCSEs. IMO, GCSE students could've handled much harder stuff to prepare them for A levels so there wouldn't be such a huge jump.

Oh my, this post was from years ago! I finished my A - levels now. :awesome: I personally thought GCSE - AS was ok just a lot more workload, then AS - A2 was much harder.
Reply 73
I thought I loved the science field but coming to do this AS level my perspective changed this thing is so hard- too much workload over a limited time it is like hell made in the class
(edited 6 years ago)
According to most people and teachers (well from everyone I have spoken to) A-levels are very very hard. Well what makes them so hard? Is it the content or the amount or something? I am gonna finish my GCSE's this year and I was wondering what tips you would give to all those who are hoping to do A-levels next year. :woo: I want to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I might change physics to French I dunno.

The main and best tip I think there could possibly be is to keep on top of your work! By this I mean as soon as you start learning, go over your notes, make que cards for them, mind maps, rewrite your notes so there easy to read if there messy. Do this for every new topic/concept you learn go over it and produce revision material and try to consolidate it in your memory as much as you can. The difference is GCSE's you basically have 5 years to prepare yourself if you wanted to do so; A level you have just under 2 years. If your on top of your work you won't ever find yourself drowning in the sheer amount of content there is. When it comes to exams season you will have the revision materials and the knowledge and then you can spend your time focusing on exam technique, past papers which is quite crucial for A level. Do this and the chances you find yourself struggling are very low.
Original post by Aimee_101
The main and best tip I think there could possibly be is to keep on top of your work! By this I mean as soon as you start learning, go over your notes, make que cards for them, mind maps, rewrite your notes so there easy to read if there messy. Do this for every new topic/concept you learn go over it and produce revision material and try to consolidate it in your memory as much as you can. The difference is GCSE's you basically have 5 years to prepare yourself if you wanted to do so; A level you have just under 2 years. If your on top of your work you won't ever find yourself drowning in the sheer amount of content there is. When it comes to exams season you will have the revision materials and the knowledge and then you can spend your time focusing on exam technique, past papers which is quite crucial for A level. Do this and the chances you find yourself struggling are very low.

I don't think that you've realised that this post is from 9 years ago 😂 think of that, You're giving advice to someone who probably already has a job and family. Life moves fast. But don't worry I'm going into A levels this year so thanks for the advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don’t switch physics, it’s great!

Quick Reply

Latest