The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9820
Original post by BJack
if you went to a bad school, that will be taken into consideration.

I went to an extremely bad comprehensive (30% 5 A*-C) and got 4A* 4A 1B, although i am at an extremely good sixth form now. How would Oxford know that my secondary school was 'bad'? Do i have to tell them that? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9821
I posted in the other thread similar to this but got completely blanked LOL so going to just paste what I've written in there, hope someone can give me an answer here!

So I wanted to apply for Maths at Cambridge, here are my AS results:

Maths (96% avg.)
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
M1 97/100

Further Maths (84% avg.)
FP1 82/100
S1 93/100
D1 76/100

Physics (85% avg.)
PHYA1 106/120
PHYA2 101/120
PHY3T 48/60

Chemistry (83% avg.)
6CH01 112/120
6CH02 98/120
6CH03 39/60

Does anyone still think it is a good idea applying there? Or should I just apply for Oxford so that they won't see some of the bad UMS marks :| or maybe neither since the top 3 averaged is 88% and not over 90%.

Oh GCSEs were 8A*s 3As B btw and also got 100 in C3 but I'm not sure if they'll see this, or if it will be beneficial after seeing my D1 and FP1 marks..And my area is not meant to be a good area, and nor is my school, though I thought the school was quite good :|

Thank you! :biggrin: x
2 A*s, 4 As, 5 Bs and 1 C
Will be getting some remarks for RE (2 Marks off A*) and Thinking and Reasoning Skills (1 Mark off Distinction)
The A*s were in Maths and Biology.
Original post by Kay94
I posted in the other thread similar to this but got completely blanked LOL so going to just paste what I've written in there, hope someone can give me an answer here!

Maths (96% avg.)
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
M1 97/100

Further Maths (84% avg.)
FP1 82/100
S1 93/100
D1 76/100

Physics (85% avg.)
PHYA1 106/120
PHYA2 101/120
PHY3T 48/60

Chemistry (83% avg.)
6CH01 112/120
6CH02 98/120
6CH03 39/60

Does anyone still think it is a good idea applying there? Or should I just apply for Oxford so that they won't see some of the bad UMS marks :| or maybe neither since the top 3 averaged is 88% and not over 90%.

Oh GCSEs were 8A*s 3As B btw and also got 100 in C3 but I'm not sure if they'll see this, or if it will be beneficial after seeing my D1 and FP1 marks..And my area is not meant to be a good area, and nor is my school, though I thought the school was quite good :|

I would recommend Oxford because your GCSEs are very good, whilst your 3 most relevant ums are probably going to good/average for Cambridge. However if you do really well in STEP im sure you can apply to either!! good luck!
Original post by bilal95
Hey I just got my results a few days back and this very question came to my mind, so here I am.

In GCSE's I got:

Maths (One year early) A*
Additional Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
ICT A*
Religious Studies (RS) A*
History A
Economics A
French A

So basically it's 9A*s 3As but I do have a feeling that my history will go to an A* as i have gotten high A*s for every single exam, but my CW which was meant to be 90 ums was moderated down to 70 (and i only need about 80 ums for an A*), so i will be making an appeal for that.

Anyways, on top of this, my only other achievement is that I got a Gold in the the intermediate UKMT (UK Maths Trust) Challenge.

My A levels are currently Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History (but i am thinking of not doing History anymore as I have been told that 5 may be too much burden on me specially with this type of combination).

So here is a question, my passion has always been maths and my aim is to do Pure Maths at university but i have been told that it is very tough to be accepted for that at good universities, hence I am not even that sure about it. Maybe doctor (as thats what my parents tell me)?

So do I have a chance to be accepted at the prestigious OxBridge for pure maths, or anything else at all?

Thanks

I can't imagine your grades holding you back at all, and as for your AS-Level a friend of mine contacted Cambridge and they said that you wouldn't be disadvantaged if you do four because its the grades they're looking for not the quantity. The only thing I think you'd have trouble with is expressing an enthusiasm. Oxbridge only want people who have a genuine passionate desire to learn the subject they're applying for so, say you applied for Pure Maths you'd probably be ok because you seem to really want to do it, but the 'Maybe doctor' thing wouldn't go down too well with an Oxbridge interviewer i'm guessing... But congrats on your fantastic GCSE results! I'm personally aiming for Medicine at Cambridge with 8A*s and 4As so we'll have to see how we do! :biggrin:
Reply 9825
GCSE : 9A*s (3 languages, 3 sciences, math, add math and economics)
A/AS-level grades achieved : maths A* (98), AS-physics A (100)
Will take : further maths, economics, physics (all up to A2), predicted 4A*s

i'm pretty worried about the low number of grades at hand (only maths and physics). will that put me at a disadvantage? -(considering some of the applicants have taken and achieved A's in 4-5 AS subjects)
Apply to the one you like the most.

That would most probably be Cambridge, but it seems to be slightly more difficult - for my circumstances at least. Could anybody dispel these concerns?
Original post by Sbu
Want to apply for PPE.
GCSE: 9A*s
AS: 4As in Economics, History, Maths and Politics - only problem is I got a B in one module for politics but A overall. I reckon I can get 3A* and one A prediction.

It really depends. What were UMS like as many schools are quite strict on A* predictions? At Oxford, they might ask to see your AS grades and then see that you have been over-predicted if your AS grades don't indicate A* material.
Reply 9828
Original post by jhthed
GCSE : 9A*s (3 languages, 3 sciences, math, add math and economics)
A/AS-level grades achieved : maths A* (98), AS-physics A (100)
Will take : further maths, economics, physics (all up to A2), predicted 4A*s

i'm pretty worried about the low number of grades at hand (only maths and physics). will that put me at a disadvantage? -(considering some of the applicants have taken and achieved A's in 4-5 AS subjects)

You won't be disadvantaged by this. I don't think IB students have any grades to go by at the end of year 12 either, and they're not disadvantaged for that.

Original post by P3847
I went to an extremely bad comprehensive (30% 5 A*-C) and got 4A* 4A 1B, although i am at an extremely good sixth form now. How would Oxford know that my secondary school was 'bad'? Do i have to tell them that? Thanks :smile:

When you fill in your UCAS form, you say which secondary schools you have attended and when, so they'll be able to see where you did your GCSEs.
Firstly, why are GCSE results this important to Oxford and Cambridge.
Secondly, what happens if there was a factor/condition that meant GCSE results weren't as good as hoped. Do they take this into consideration?

Does Oxbridge only consider As and A*s?
Original post by demirules101
Ah thats such a relief because my B was also in history and i'm ALSO applying for a PPE! xD You've given me so much hope! Thank you!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
What did you get for GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?

4A*'s and 5A's :smile:
Reply 9831
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not sure either institution actually offers Dentistry :nah:

I'm just talking generally :P cus i really need to find out, especially bout my a level choices, and no ones replying.. so i posted it on this thread as it has something to do with gcses :P
Original post by nottedellarosa
Secondly, what happens if there was a factor/condition that meant GCSE results weren't as good as hoped. Do they take this into consideration?

1) Often candidates are hard to seperate as most will have at least AAAA at AS and then a mix of A* and A predictions for A2, so GCSE's can be a seperator between similar candidates. This is less true for Cambridge as they ask to see your AS module scores, where as Oxford don't so they seperate people that way. I've also heard that Oxford see GCSE results as a good predictor for degree performance. I'm not sure on that last point however, so don't take my word alone for it :smile:

2) Yes, they take it into account, just need to get it mentioned in your references.

3) If you're referring to GCSE's, they're not going to strike you off at the sight of a B or a C, but they both expect a pretty high amount of A*'s/A's.
Original post by nottedellarosa

They're not really that important to either, but compared to degree courses GCSEs are easy, so good performance should really be a given from realistic candidates. Oxford place much more weight on their pre-interview aptitude tests, particularly the HAT, PAT, and TSA, but your GCSEs will be considered when deciding to interview you and offer you a place. Cambridge place far more weight on AS results.

Oxford do take your GCSEs into account when considering your application, and they only pay any attention to A*s. To them an A is as good (bad?) as a B as a C.

Cambridge don't really pay much attention to your GCSEs, but for medicine you must have C or above in English Language (to prove you're capable of speaking english fluently)

Basically though, they're not that important; if you've done well at higher-level examinations then your GCSEs won't be particularly important, if you've done poorly then strong GCSEs won't really help you, you have to be a borderline candidate for them to make any difference.

If you have mitigating factors with regards to your GCSEs they need to be mentioned in your reference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Mr Z answered the question far better than I could :P
Reply 9835
Hey,
I've just got my GCSE results back and ended up with 4A*'s, 12A's and 2B's.
I'm planning to take History, Economics, Business and Government/politics at AS Level.
I was wondering with my current grades if i continued to get A's in my subject choices for AS if they would be enough to get me to Oxbridge?
I have heard alot about how important subject choice is, and also how Oxbridge predominantly focus on your academic achievements and not really on extra curricular.

Oh, i want to do PPE by the way :smile:
Original post by Kay94

Maths (96% avg.)
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
M1 97/100

Further Maths (84% avg.)
FP1 82/100
S1 93/100
D1 76/100

Physics (85% avg.)
PHYA1 106/120
PHYA2 101/120
PHY3T 48/60

Chemistry (83% avg.)
6CH01 112/120
6CH02 98/120
6CH03 39/60

Yes, still worth applying. 90% figure is just a myth, your grades are fine. You should include the C3 mark on your SAQ, it is both relevant and impressive.

Obviously interview performance will be important, and maths gives out a higher proportion of offers, but your offer will involve STEP.

Your GCSEs are good enough for Oxford, but you will have to perform well on the Maths Aptitude Test and at interview to get an offer. Oxford are much stingier with their offers because they don't have STEP as a discriminator.
Reply 9837
Original post by The Mr Z
Oxford do take your GCSEs into account when considering your application, and they only pay any attention to A*s. To them an A is as good (bad?) as a B as a C.

I'm not convinced that this is the case for anything other than medicine.
Reply 9838
Original post by astro67
This probably isn't very helpful but I can't resist the pedantry of pointing out that none of the three Universities mentioned are in the Russell Group. It's a minor point and it's probably just a personal bugbear that it bothers me that some people assume that 'Russell Group' is a synonym for 'best' when it comes to Universities when it's more complicated than that.

Thanks! I didn't realise tbh! Well then, are my GCSE's good enough for Uni's in the rankings from 3-8? (so excluding Oxford and Cambridge)
Reply 9839
Original post by lg95
I was wondering with my current grades if i continued to get A's in my subject choices for AS if they would be enough to get me to Oxbridge?

18 GCSEs? :lolwut:
If you continue to work hard and do well at AS, you should be able to make a competitive application.