The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for oxbridge?

Hey, my names Dan and have recently received my GCSE results. I gained 8 A*s, in English Language, Law, Maths, The 3 sciences, ICT and R.E. 5 A's, in Geography, Music, General Studies, Media Studies and English Literature and a B in German (which I'm planning on re-taking alongside my AS levels). I was wondering if these gcses would be good enough, obviously with A*s and A's at A level in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, for an application at Oxbridge? For a chemistry, maths, law or a medicine a degree? (not quite sure which one yet). Any help would be much appreciated!
They're fine. :colonhash:
Reply 2
Yes, they should give you as good a chance as anyone. Any number above 5A*s is probably ok, as long as the rest of your application is strong. Possibly you might struggle for Oxbridge medicine, but otherwise well done and good luck :smile:.
Reply 3
Yes they would be good enough grades to take forward in readiness for an Oxbridge application. People do get in without straight A and A* grades so a single B in a non-related subject like yours isn't a concern; re-take German if you want though!

Well done on those grades!
Reply 4
Thanks :smile: yeah, medicine isn't really something I feel I'd be passionate about anyway, I love the idea of law and becoming a barrister
for law don't they want more wordy A levels? :s
Reply 6
Original post by Viggo2790
Yes, they should give you as good a chance as anyone. Any number above 5A*s is probably ok, as long as the rest of your application is strong. Possibly you might struggle for Oxbridge medicine, but otherwise well done and good luck :smile:.

I know people now about to join Oxford with 'just' 3 A* at GCSE, and two B grades as well. Oxbridge will take into account the school's average grades at GCSE and if the student's grades are comparatively high for that school they are in with a chance. It's a myth that all Oxbridge candidates need 5 or 6 A* at GCSE except maybe for medicine.

Then there's the other considerations such as the AS results, the personal statement, the interview if you're lucky, and the aptitude test if there is one (not for all subjects).
They look fine to me but you should also check this thread to make sure.

Be sure to use the search function in future! :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I chose these A levels to take because they are the subjects I'm certain that I'll the best grades in. Also, on the Oxford website, for a undergraduate law degree, it said "science or arts subjects, or a mixture" so Im pretty sure Maths, fm, chemistry and physics would be okay? they're also up there with the most academic and traditional subjects
Reply 9
Original post by lottielouise
for law don't they want more wordy A levels? :s

I chose these A levels because I'm certain that I will gain the best grades for them. Also, on the oxford website it says for an undergraduate law degree, that "science or art subjects, or a mixture of both" are 'recommended' at A level. Also, Maths, Fm, Chemistry and Physics are up there with the most traditional and academic subjects. I'm sure they'll be okay for a potential law degree, correct me if in wrong?
Reply 10
Original post by Lizzy12
I know people now about to join Oxford with 'just' 3 A* at GCSE, and two B grades as well. Oxbridge will take into account the school's average grades at GCSE and if the student's grades are comparatively high for that school they are in with a chance. It's a myth that all Oxbridge candidates need 5 or 6 A* at GCSE except maybe for medicine.

Then there's the other considerations such as the AS results, the personal statement, the interview if you're lucky, and the aptitude test if there is one (not for all subjects).

Thanks for the information! Just to note, I went to a comprehensive school in the West Midlands, it's defiantly not a bad school at all, but they may be only perhaps 4 people who will potentially apply for Oxford? And i achieved in the top 5 students for gcses
Original post by DanAkarca
I chose these A levels because I'm certain that I will gain the best grades for them. Also, on the oxford website it says for an undergraduate law degree, that "science or art subjects, or a mixture of both" are 'recommended' at A level. Also, Maths, Fm, Chemistry and Physics are up there with the most traditional and academic subjects. I'm sure they'll be okay for a potential law degree, correct me if in wrong?

A law degree will consist of reading through many lengthy accounts of cases and vast descriptions of specific words and their meanings within law hence the term "reading law". Law degrees also require a great deal of analytical skills, which as essentially gained through essay based subjects. If you select subjects, such as the sciences, where you work purely with facts, rather than with guidelines, that have exceptions and are constantly changing and evolving, like a degree in Law then I think you would struggle. And don't be pretentious, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest